The Centre of Molecular Inflammation Research (CEMIR) was established on 10. June 2013 as a Centre of Excellence appointed by the Research Council of Norway. CEMIR's management consists of Director Terje Espevik and Co-Director Trude Helen Flo.
CEMIR is hosted by the Faculty of Medicine at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). Consortium partners are Sør-Trøndelag University College (HiST) and The Central Norway Regional Health Authority. All CEMIR activities will be located at the newly built Kunnskapssenteret at St. Olavs hospital in Trondheim, Norway.
The vision of CEMIR is to lay the foundation for identifying new therapeutic targets and developing new diagnostic tools for inflammatory diseases through an integrated 10-year programme of research and research training in molecular innate immune responses.
Inflammation is a host response that is triggered by infection and tissue injury. A controlled inflammatory response is needed to fight infections and to heal wounds, but it can become detrimental if it is dysregulated as seen in chronic inflammatory disorders like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, inflammatory bowel disease, obesity, cancer, and others. Drawing on major recent advances in the field of innate immunity and cell biology, CEMIR's research programme will detail the molecular and cell biological principles for initiation and regulation of inflammatory responses through the use of basic research, in vitro- and in vivo models and unique biobanks. The localisation of CEMIR in an integrated University hospital environment will facilitate translational research on human disease.
- Stig A. Slørdahl, Dean, Faculty of Medicine, NTNU
- Magne Børset, Head of Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, NTNU
- Einar Hjorthol, Dean, Department of Technology, HiST
- Petter Aadahl, Research Director, St. Olavs Hospital
- Anne Borg, Dean, The Faculty of Natural Sciences and Technology (NT), NTNU
Science Advisory Board (SAB):
- Dr. Alan Aderem, Seattle Biomedical Research Institute, USA
- Dr. Douglas Golenbock, University of Massachusetts Medical School, USA
- Dr. Gøran Hansson, Karolinska Institutet, Sverige
- Dr. Lynda Stuart, Massachusetts General Hospital, USA
- Dr. Stefanie Vogel, University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC), USA
The Faculty of Medicine,
Centre of Molecular Inflammation Research
Gastrosenteret, 3th floor
Phone: + 47 7282 5337
Fax: + 47 7257 1463