Colloid and Polymer Chemistry
Research and teaching in colloid and surface chemistry, polymer science and related subjects is organized in the Ugelstad Laboratory. The Ugelstad Laboratory was founded at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in January 2002 to commemorate the late Professor John Ugelstad. The purpose was to raise the national level of colloidal science by establishing a modern educational, research and development laboratory within the fields of colloid, polymer and surface science. Applications include crude oil production and processing, pulp and paper, biomedicine/bionanotechnology, catalysis and materials science.
Diploma and PhD studies are offered within these topics, often in close collaboration with industrial companies. The aim is to educate highly qualified candidates for industrial and academic positions. In order to attract the best and most motivated students and researchers, the laboratory has invested heavily in new and modern instrumentation. Ugelstad Laboratory also participates in international exchange programmes, and hosts internationally renowned guest researchers and lecturers.
The Ugelstad Laboratory is sponsored by industrial companies, the Research Council of Norway (NFR), research institutes and NTNU. For more information about ongoing research programmes, recent publications and industrial contacts, please visit the Ugelstad Laboratory home page.
What is new?
- Aleksandar Yordanov Mehandzhiyski successfully defended his Ph.D. thesis 01/03/2016
- Diego Pradilla successfully defended his Ph.D. thesis on 18/03/2016
- Ugelstad Laboratory was awarded 3 projects from Norwegian Research Council on 18/12/2015: 2 Petromaks 2 programs and one NORRUSS program.
- Birgitte Hjelmeland McDonagh successfully defended her Ph.D. thesis on 10/12/2015.
- Marcin Dudek and Are Bertheussen started their Ph.D. in Ugesltadlab in August 2015.
- Thomas Tichelkamp successfully defended his Ph.D. thesis on 04/09/2015.
- Sandra Rodríguez Fabià started her Ph.D. in Ugelstadlab in May 2015.
- Birgitte McDonagh winner of PhD Grand Prix, March 2015!
Academic and lab staff
Johan Sjöblom, Professor
Gisle Øye, Professor
Brian Grimes, Associate professor
Kristofer Gunnar Paso, Associate professor
Wilhelm R. Glomm, Adjunct professor
Arvid Berge, Professor emeritus
Preben C. Mørk, Professor emeritus
Camilla I. Dagsgård, Laboratory manager
May Grete Sætran, Laboratory engineer
Bicheng Gao, Laboratory engineer