Postal addressDepartment of Computer and Information Science Norwegian University of Science and Technology 7491 Trondheim Norway
- Computer technology
- Knowledge-based systems
- Artificial intelligence
- Machine learning
- Case-based reasoning
- Knowledge modelling
- Knowledge acquisition
Background and activities
My professorship is in Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence. My main research area is artificial intelligence, an in particular methods for data analysis and decision-making, aimed at support for interactive problem solving and experiential learning. The emphasis is on representing and utilizing human experiences, combined with automatic analysis of data in order to extract useful informasjon.
Special fields of interest, and topics for students, are case-based reasoning, machine learning mroe generally, knowledge level architectures, ontologies, knowledge modeling/representation, combined reasoning methods, and AI-related aspects of cognitive science and philosophy.
Type of applications in focus are data analysis, detection of unwanted events, and decision support, targeted at real-world applications in petroleum technology, medicine, fish farming, and traffic and transport systems, among others. Research results are documented in my list of publications. Extended information is available in my summarized CV.
Currently I am Deputy Head of Department with responsibility for research.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Integrating human related errors with technical errors to determine causes behind offshore accidents. Safety Science. volum 63.
- (2014) An overview of case-based reasoning applications in drilling engineering. Artificial Intelligence Review. volum 41 (3).
- (2013) A real-time decision support system for high cost oil-well drilling operations. The AI Magazine. volum 34 (1).
- (2013) Detection of Symptoms for Revealing Causes Leading to Drilling Failures. SPE Drilling & Completion. volum 28 (2).
- (2013) Experience Transfer for Process Improvement. Engineering applications of artificial intelligence. volum 26 (9).
- (2012) Operational Support in Fish Farming through Case-based Reasoning. Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
- (2011) Case-based reasoning for assessment and diagnosis of depression in palliative care. Computer-Based Medical Systems.
- (2011) An Efficient Hybrid Classification Algorithm - An Example from Palliative Care. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. volum 6679.
- (2011) Combining CBR and BN using metareasoning. Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications. volum 227.
- (2011) Case-based reasoning in a system architecture for intelligent fish farming. Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications. volum 227.
- (2010) Architectures Integrating Case-Based Reasoning and Bayesian Networks for Clinical Decision Support. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. volum 340.
- (2010) Decision-support for Diagnosing Depression through Case-based Reasoning. Palliative Medicine : A Multiprofessional Journal. volum 24 (4).
- (2010) The utility problem for lazy learners - towards a non-eager approach. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. volum 6176.
- (2010) Applications of CBR in Oil Well Drilling: A General Overview. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. volum 340.
- (2009) Case-Based Reasoning for Situation-Aware Ambient Intelligence: A Hospital Ward Evaluation Study. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. volum 5650.
- (2009) Determining root causes of drilling problems by combining cases and general knowledge. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. volum 5650.
- (2008) Case-based reasoning for advice-giving in a data-intensive environment. Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications. volum 173.
- (2008) Explanatory Capabilities in the CREEK Knowledge-Intensive Case-Based Reasoner. Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications. volum 173.
- (2006) Evaluating CBR Systems Using Different Data Sources: A Case Study. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. volum 4106.
- (2006) Contextualised Ambient Intelligence through Case-Based Reasoning. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. volum 4106.