Background and activities
I am an associate professor at Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). I was previously a postdoctoral research fellow at University of Oslo as a member of Logic and Intelligent Data research group. I was also a visiting researcher at University of Oxford and a postdoc at University of Leuven. I received my PhD degree in computer science in 2012 from University of Leuven. I received my M.Sc and B.Sc. degrees in computer engineering from Işık University in 2008 and 2006 respectively.
I took part in several EU projects (FP7, FP6, Erasmus etc.) such as iCamp, ROLE, LEGIS, LEFIS, and TREE. I am presently conducting research on visual query systems within the Optique project (FP7).
My main research interests fall into ontology-driven information systems and ontology-driven design of information systems from a human-computer interaction perspective. My current research, within Optique project, addresses visual query interfaces for ontology-based data access, where ontologies are exploited both for scalable end-user query formulation and for query answering for Big Data.
My research interests also include: pervasive computing, context-aware computing, adaptive computing systems, human-machine interaction, end-user development, metadata and semantics, ontological engineering, semantic web, formal modelling, knowledge representation, software engineering, database systems, model driven development.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Querying industrial stream-temporal data: An ontology-based visual approach. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments. vol. 9 (1).
- (2016) Ontology-based end-user visual query formulation: Why, what, who, how, and which?. Universal Access in the Information Society.
- (2015) Optique: Zooming in on Big Data. Computer. vol. 48 (3).
- (2015) Experiencing OptiqueVQS: A Multi-paradigm and Ontology-based Visual Query System for End Users. Universal Access in the Information Society. vol. 15 (1).
Part of book/report
- (2015) Qualifying Ontology-Based Visual Query Formulation. Flexible Query Answering Systems 2015 Proceedings of the 11th International Conference FQAS 2015, Cracow, Poland, October 26-28, 2015.
- (2015) Ontology-Based Visual Query Formulation: An Industry Experience. Advances in Visual Computing 11th International Symposium, ISVC 2015, Las Vegas, NV, USA, December 14-16, 2015, Proceedings, Part I.