Background and activities
I am an associate professor at Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). I was previously a postdoctoral research fellow at University of Oslo as a member of Logic and Intelligent Data research group. I was also a visiting researcher at University of Oxford and a postdoc at University of Leuven. I received my PhD degree in computer science in 2012 from University of Leuven. I received my M.Sc and B.Sc. degrees in computer engineering from Işık University in 2008 and 2006 respectively.
I took part in several EU projects (FP7, FP6, Erasmus etc.) such as iCamp, ROLE, LEGIS, LEFIS, and TREE. I am presently conducting research on visual query systems within the Optique project (FP7).
My main research interests fall into ontology-driven information systems and ontology-driven design of information systems from a human-computer interaction perspective. My current research, within Optique project, addresses visual query interfaces for ontology-based data access, where ontologies are exploited both for scalable end-user query formulation and for query answering for Big Data.
My research interests also include: pervasive computing, context-aware computing, adaptive computing systems, human-machine interaction, end-user development, metadata and semantics, ontological engineering, semantic web, formal modelling, knowledge representation, software engineering, database systems, model driven development.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Querying industrial stream-temporal data: An ontology-based visual approach. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments. vol. 9 (1).
- (2016) Ontology-based end-user visual query formulation: Why, what, who, how, and which?. Universal Access in the Information Society.
- (2016) A visual query system for stream data access over ontologies. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 9989.
- (2016) PepeSearch: Semantic Data for the masses. PLoS ONE. vol. 11 (3).
- (2016) Visual query interfaces for semantic datasets: An evaluation study. Journal of Web Semantics. vol. 39.
- (2015) Optique: Zooming in on Big Data. Computer. vol. 48 (3).
- (2015) Experiencing OptiqueVQS: A Multi-paradigm and Ontology-based Visual Query System for End Users. Universal Access in the Information Society. vol. 15 (1).
- (2014) How semantic technologies can enhance data access at siemens energy. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 8796.
- (2012) Ubiquitous Web Navigation through Harvesting Embedded Semantic Data: A Mobile Scenario. Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering. vol. 19 (1).
- (2012) Mashups by Orchestration and Widget-based Personal Environments: Key Challenges, Solution Strategies, and an Application. Program. vol. 46 (4).
- (2009) Context and Adaptivity in Pervasive Computing Environments: Links with Software Engineering and Ontological Engineering. Journal of Software. vol. 4 (9).
Part of book/report
- (2016) Enabling semantic access to static and streaming distributed data with optique: demo. Proceedings of the 10th ACM International Conference on Distributed and Event-based Systems, DEBS '16, Irvine, CA,USA, June 20 -24.
- (2016) A Semantic Approach to Polystores. Proceedings 2016 IEEE International Conference on Big Data.
- (2015) Qualifying Ontology-Based Visual Query Formulation. Flexible Query Answering Systems 2015 Proceedings of the 11th International Conference FQAS 2015, Cracow, Poland, October 26-28, 2015.
- (2015) Ontology-Based Visual Query Formulation: An Industry Experience. Advances in Visual Computing 11th International Symposium, ISVC 2015, Las Vegas, NV, USA, December 14-16, 2015, Proceedings, Part I.
- (2014) Why not simply Google?. NordiCHI '14 : Proceedings of the 8th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: Fun, Fast, Foundational, Oct 26-30 2014, Helsinki, Finland.
- (2013) Scalable End-user Access to Big Data. Big Data Computing.
- (2013) OptiqueVQS—Towards an Ontology-based Visual Query System for Big Data. Fifth International Conference on Management of Emergent Digital EcoSystems, MEDES '13, Luxembourg, Luxembourg, October 29-31, 2013.
- (2013) A Preliminary Approach on Ontology-Based Visual Query Formulation for Big Data. Metadata and Semantics Research 7th Research Conference, MTSR 2013, Thessaloniki, Greece, November 19-22, 2013. Proceedings.
- (2011) Visualization of Networked Collaboration in Digital Ecosystems through Two-mode Network Patterns. Proceeding of the International Conference on Management of Emergent Digital EcoSystems (MEDES'11).
- (2011) Mashups and Widget Orchestration. Proceeding of the International Conference on Management of Emergent Digital EcoSystems (MEDES'11).