Background and activities
Program director of the Norwegian Research School in Innovation's Program in Innovation Management and Innovation Strategy (NORSi-PIMS).
Alf Steinar Sætre is a Professor at the Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management at The Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim.
His reasearch interests include intrapreneurship and innovation in the Norwegian industry, and private investors. Larger collaborative projects include an international research project looking at ICT Use in organizations. Sætre is a co-author of the book "Information and Communication Technologies in Pratice: Linking Theory and Narratives of Pratice" på Routledge, NY.
He has a MsC in Economics and Business Administration from the Norwegian Schoolf of Economis and Business Administration in Bergen. He earned a Ph.D. in Organizational Communication from the University of Texas at Austin, where he was a Fulbright Scholar and Research Associate at the Institute for Creativity and Capital (IC2). Where he was part of a team researching ”agile business practices.” After completing his Ph.D. he worked as an Associate Professor at Lillehammer College.
Dr. Sætre teaches courses and lectures on such topics as:
- Innovation Management and Strategy (TIØ 4180)
- Communication and Negotiations
- Dialogue and Decision Making
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2013) Ambiguity and learning in the innovation process: Managing exploitation-exploitation by balancing creativity and constraint revisited. International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management (IJITM). vol. 10 (4).
- (2012) Killing mushrooms: The realpolitik of terminating innovation projects. International Journal of Innovation Management. vol. 16 (5).
- (2012) Strategic management of innovation: managing exploration-exploitation by balancing creativity and constraint. International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management (IJITM). vol. 9 (4).
- (2010) The Challenge of Doing Corporatized Research Revisited: Contrivances and the Presentation of Self. Qualitative Inquiry. vol. 16 (1).
- (2009) Managing ambiguity in new product development projects. Creativity and Innovation Management. vol. 18 (1).
- (2009) Classification of ambiguity in new product development projects. European Journal of Innovation Management. vol. 12 (1).
- (2009) University spin-offs as technology transfer: A comparative study among Norway, the United States, and Sweden. Comparative Technology Transfer and Society. vol. 7 (2).
- (2008) Ambibuity reduction in new product development projects. International Journal of Innovation Management. vol. 12 (4).
- (2008) Benefits of ambiguity in new product development. International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management (IJITM). vol. 5 (3).
- (2008) Discrete, Sequential, and Follow-Up Use of Information and Communication Technology by Experienced ICT Users. Management Communication Quarterly. vol. 22 (2).
- (2007) Enacting media use in organizations. Journal of Information, Information Technology, and Organizations. vol. 2.
- (2005) A reflexive model of ICT practices in organizations. Informing Science. vol. 8 (1).
- (2004) Leveling differences and reinforcing similarities: The impact of Information and Communication Technologies on national culture. Informing Science. vol. 7 (1).
- (2003) Entrepreneurial Perspectives on Informal Venture Capital. Venture Capital : an International Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance. vol. 5 (1).
- (2003) Dealcrafting the right capital for a venture: the case of Deep Sea Fishing Inc. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation. vol. 4 (3).
- (2009) Kommunikasjon i organisasjoner: Perspektiver og prosesser. Fagbokforlaget. 2009. ISBN 978-82-450-0277-5.
- (2008) Information and Communication Technologies in Action: Linking Theory and Narratives of Practice. Routledge. 2008. ISBN 0415965470.
Part of book/report
- (2011) Deep Sea Fishing Inc.: Acquiring the 'right' capital for a new technology-based firm. Entrepreneurship: Perspectives and cases.
- (2009) Håndtering av tvetydighet i de tidligste fasene i innovasjonsprosessen. Teknologibasert nyskaping i Norge.
- (2009) The reflexivity between ICTs and business culture: Applying Hofstede's Theory to Compare Norway and The United States. Organizational Communication and Technology: Information and Communication Technology Use in Organizations in Norway and the United States.
- (2006) Tricking Your Customers Without Cheating Them: Minimal Details as an Information Strategy. Case Studies in Organizational Communication: Ethical Perspectives and Practices.
- (2006) Working at Home and Playing at Work: Using ICTs to Break Down the Barriers Between Home and Work. Case Studies in Organizational Communication: Ethical Perspectives and Practices.
- (2001) Intrapreneurship: An exploratory study of select norwegian industries. 2001.
- (2001) The Demand Side of The Informal Venture Capital Market: Four Norwegian Cases. 2001.
- (2000) Kartlegging av rammebetingelser og markedsmekanismer for private investorer i utvalgte land. 2000.
- (2013) Døren på gløtt for forskere. Dagens Næringsliv [Avis]. 2013-08-12.
- (2013) Se opp for forstyrrende innovasjon. Ukeavisen Ledelse [Avis]. 2013-06-14.
- (2012) Verdenseliten med når NTNU starter forskerskole. Adresseavisen [Avis]. 2012-01-30.
- (2012) Innovasjon - Hard nøtt for ledere. Magasinet Tekna [Avis]. 2012-04-15.