Background and activities
Anna Mary Bofin is Professor of Medicine (Pathology) and head of the Medical Student Research Program at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, NTNU
Current research activity
Breast Cancer Subtypes Research Group: Breast Cancer Subtypes is a multidisciplinary project studying breast cancer risk and survival in relation to histopathological type and grade, molecular subtype and reproductive and life-style factors, in addition to studies of tumour growth, proliferation, metastasis and angiogenesis. Three large cohorts of women comprise the background population. Tissue samples from over 2 300 breast cancers occurring in the same populations, assembled in tissue microarrays are used in biomarker studies. Follow-up data from 10-40 years.
Co-principal investigator with Professor Lars Johan Vatten, ISM, NTNU
HR-MAS/MR spectroscopy in breast cancer
with Professor Tone Frost Bathen, MR Cancer Group, Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging, NTNU
2004 Doctor medicinae, Faculty of medicine, NTNU
1994 Specialist in Pathology
1982 Norwegian medical authorization
1979 LRCPSI MB BCh BAO – Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and University College Dublin
Fine needle aspiration cytology in the primary investigation of breast tumours and in the determination of treatment strategies. ISBN 82-471-6243-1
Anna Bofin teaches pathology at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, NTNU in addition to national and international courses in pathology and cytology.
2007 SINTEF award for teaching proficiency. Awarded to the Pathology group for the introductory course in general pathology for undergraduates at the Faculty of Medicine, NTNU
Other professional activities
2013-2017 National Editor (Pathology), APMIS Journal
2011-2016 Member of the Examination Board – 2CD, DMF, NTNU
2006-2007 Equal opportunities ombudsperson, DMF, NTNU
2006-2008 Board member, The Norwegian Pathology Society
2005-2006 Committee member, Evaluation indicators, DMF, NTNU
2005-2009 Vice-chair, Regional medical ethics committee, Midt-Norge (REK)
2004-2010 Member, pathology subgroup, Norwegian Breast Cancer Group (NBCG)
2002-2003 Member, DNLFs advisory committee for ethics in gene- and biotechnology
1992-1994 Member Quality assurance committee, Norwegian Society for Clinical Cytology
1991-2000 Member/vice chair/chair Norwegian Society for Clinical Cytology
1999 Member, the Norwegian Pathology Society’s Strategy Committee for Research in Pathology (leader Inger Nina Farstad)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Basal markers and prognosis in luminal breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. vol. 163 (2).
- (2017) Quantifying tumour vascularity in non-luminal breast cancers. Journal of Clinical Pathology. vol. 0.
- (2017) FGD5 amplification in breast cancer patients is associated with tumor proliferation and a poorer prognosis. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. vol. 162 (2).
- (2016) HER2 gene copy number and breast cancer-specific survival. Histopathology. vol. 69 (5).
- (2016) Presence of TMPRSS2-ERG is associated with alterations of the metabolic profile in human prostate cancer. OncoTarget.
- (2016) A novel non-canonical Wnt signature for prostate cancer aggressiveness. OncoTarget. vol. 8 (6).
- (2016) Prevalence of human papillomavirus infection among women in rural Nepal. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica. vol. 96 (1).
- (2016) Molecular Subtypes of Breast Cancer: Long-term Incidence Trends and Prognostic Differences. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention. vol. 25 (12).
- (2015) Alterations in collagen fibre patterns in breast cancer. A premise for tumour invasiveness?. Acta Pathologica, Microbiologica et Immunologica Scandinavica (APMIS). vol. 123 (1).
- (2015) MRI Reveals the in Vivo Cellular and Vascular Response to BEZ235 in Ovarian Cancer Xenografts with Different PI3-Kinase Pathway Activity. British Journal of Cancer. vol. 112 (3).
- (2015) Invasive lobular breast cancer: The prognostic impact of histopathological grade, E-cadherin and molecular subtypes. Histopathology. vol. 66 (3).
- (2015) Microvascular proliferation in luminal A and basal-like breast cancer subtypes. Journal of Clinical Pathology. vol. 68 (11).
- (2015) Community-based health education has positive influence on the attitude to cervical cancer screening among women in rural Nepal. Journal of Cancer Education. vol. Published ahead of print.
- (2014) Metabolic characterization of triple negative breast cancer. BMC Cancer. vol. 14.
- (2014) TOP2A gene copy number change in breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Pathology. vol. 67 (5).
- (2014) Risk reducing mastectomy, breast reconstruction and patient satisfaction in Norwegian BRCA1/2 mutation carriers. Breast. vol. 23 (1).
- (2014) Anthropometric factors and risk of molecular breast cancer subtypes among postmenopausal Norwegian women. International Journal of Cancer. vol. 135 (11).
- (2014) Reproductive history and the risk of molecular breast cancer subtypes in a prospective study of Norwegian women. Cancer Causes and Control. vol. 25 (7).
- (2013) Molecular subtypes, histopathological grade and survival in a historic cohort of breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. vol. 140 (3).
- (2013) Metabolic biomarkers for response to PI3K inhibition in basal-like breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research. vol. 15 (1:R16).