Background and activities
Current research activity
Breast Cancer Subtypes Research Group: Breast Cancer Subtypes is a multidisciplinary project studying breast cancer risk and survival in relation to histopathological type and grade, molecular subtype and reproductive and life-style factors, in addition to studies of tumour growth, proliferation, metastasis and angiogenesis. Three large cohorts of women comprise the background population. Tissue samples from over 2 300 breast cancers occurring in the same populations, assembled in tissue microarrays are used in biomarker studies. Follow-up data from 10-40 years.
Co-principal investigator with Professor Lars Johan Vatten, ISM, NTNU
HR-MAS/MR spectroscopy in breast cancer
with Professor Tone Frost Bathen, MR Cancer Group, Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging, NTNU
An epidemiological study on gynaecological morbidities among married women in rural Nepal (Kavre District) with special emphasis on cervical cancer and related risk factors
With PhD candidate candidate Sunila Shakya, Department of Laboratory Medicine(LBK),
2004 Doctor medicinae, Faculty of medicine, NTNU
1994 Specialist in Pathology
1982 Norwegian medical authorization
1979 LRCPSI MB BCh BAO – Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and University College Dublin
Fine needle aspiration cytology in the primary investigation of breast tumours and in the determination of treatment strategies. ISBN 82-471-6243-1
Anna Bofin teaches pathology at the Faculty of Medicine, NTNU in addition to national and international courses in pathology and cytology.
2007 SINTEF award for teaching proficiency. Awarded to the Pathology group for the introductory course in general pathology for undergraduates at the Faculty of Medicine, NTNU
Other professional activities
2013- National Editor (Pathology), APMIS Journal
2011- Member of the Examination Board – 2CD, DMF, NTNU
2006-2007 Equal opportunities ombudsperson, DMF, NTNU
2006-2008 Board member, The Norwegian Pathology Society
2005-2006 Committee member, Evaluation indicators, DMF, NTNU
2005-2009 Vice-chair, Regional medical ethics committee, Midt-Norge (REK)
2004-2010 Member, pathology subgroup, Norwegian Breast Cancer Group (NBCG)
2002-2003 Member, DNLFs advisory committee for ethics in gene- and biotechnology
1992-1994 Member Quality assurance committee, Norwegian Society for Clinical Cytology
1991-2000 Member/vice chair/chair Norwegian Society for Clinical Cytology
1999 Member, the Norwegian Pathology Society’s Strategy Committee for Research in Pathology (leader Inger Nina Farstad)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Alterations in collagen fibre patterns in breast cancer. A premise for tumour invasiveness?. Acta Pathologica, Microbiologica et Immunologica Scandinavica (APMIS). vol. 123 (1).
- (2015) MRI Reveals the in Vivo Cellular and Vascular Response to BEZ235 in Ovarian Cancer Xenografts with Different PI3-Kinase Pathway Activity. British Journal of Cancer. vol. 112 (3).
- (2015) Invasive lobular breast cancer: The prognostic impact of histopathological grade, E-cadherin and molecular subtypes. Histopathology. vol. 66 (3).
- (2015) Microvascular proliferation in luminal A and basal-like breast cancer subtypes. Journal of Clinical Pathology. vol. 68 (11).
- (2015) Community-based health education has positive influence on the attitude to cervical cancer screening among women in rural Nepal. Journal of Cancer Education. vol. Published ahead of print.
- (2014) Metabolic characterization of triple negative breast cancer. BMC Cancer. vol. 14.
- (2014) TOP2A gene copy number change in breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Pathology. vol. 67 (5).
- (2014) Risk reducing mastectomy, breast reconstruction and patient satisfaction in Norwegian BRCA1/2 mutation carriers. Breast. vol. 23 (1).
- (2014) Anthropometric factors and risk of molecular breast cancer subtypes among postmenopausal Norwegian women. International Journal of Cancer. vol. 135 (11).
- (2014) Reproductive history and the risk of molecular breast cancer subtypes in a prospective study of Norwegian women. Cancer Causes and Control. vol. 25 (7).
- (2013) Molecular subtypes, histopathological grade and survival in a historic cohort of breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. vol. 140 (3).
- (2013) Metabolic biomarkers for response to PI3K inhibition in basal-like breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research. vol. 15 (1:R16).
- (2013) Metabolic biomarkers for response to PI3K inhibition in basal-like breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research. vol. 15 (1).
- (2013) Low-molecular contrast agent DCE-MRI and DW-MRI in early assessment of bevacizumab treatment in breast cancer xenografts. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. vol. 38 (5).
- (2012) Prognostic value of metabolic response in breast cancer patients receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapy. BMC Cancer. vol. 12.
- (2012) Predicting long-term survival and treatment response in breast cancer patients receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapy by MR metabolic profiling. NMR in Biomedicine. vol. 25 (2).
- (2012) In vivo MRI and histopathological assessment of tumor microenvironment in luminal-like and basal-like breast cancer xenografts. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. vol. 35 (5).
- (2012) Immunohistochemical analysis of hepatocyte growth factor and c-Met in plasma cell disease. Histopathology. vol. 60 (3).
- (2011) In vivo MRS of locally advanced breast cancer: characteristics related to negative or positive choline detection and early monitoring of treatment response. Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine. vol. 24 (6).
- (2011) Risk of recurrence following delayed large flap reconstruction after mastectomy for breast cancer. British Journal of Surgery. vol. 98 (5).