Background and activities
My research deals with various aspects of second and third language acquisition, i.e., the acquisition of language(s) after early childhood. I'm interested in both theoretical and applied aspects of acquisition. Most of my work is on English. In particular, I am interested in the role of age in language acquisition, and in the relationship between implicit and explicit learning. I am also interested in multilingualism in a broad sense, and in multilingualism and language acquisition in schools.
Competence and academic interests:
- Second language acquisition
- Third language acquisition
- Age and language acquisition
- English in Norway
- English in (Norwegian) schools
- English in (Norwegian and international) academia
- Global English
I mainly teach courses in language acquisition and in Global English.
I'm happy to supervise theses on second and third language acquisition inside and outside the classroom, from theoretical or applied perspectives.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Subject and Object Shift in L2 Norwegian. GALANA . University of Illinois; Urbana-Champaign. 2016-09-08 - 2016-09-10.
- (2016) Engelsk som tredjespråk: Har lærere kompetanse til å støtte flerspråklighet?. Acta Didactica Norge - tidsskrift for fagdidaktisk forsknings- og utviklingsarbeid i Norge. vol. 10 (1).
- (2016) Forging a Linguistically Diverse Future: Implications for EFL Teacher Education Programmes in Norway. Anglistentag 2015 Paderborn.
- (2015) Input and language competence in early-start foreign language classrooms. Usage-Based Perspectives on Second Language Learning.
- (2015) Utvikling av språkforståelse i tidlig start med engelsk. Communicare. vol. 5 (1).
- (2015) Minority Students In EFL Classrooms In Norway: Do Teachers Feel Prepared?. International Conference on Bilingualism . University of Malta; Valletta. 2015-03-23 - 2015-03-26.
- (2015) Forging a linguistically diverse future: implications for EFL teacher education programs in Norway. Anglistentag . Universität Paderborn; Paderborn. 2015-09-23 - 2015-09-26.
- (2015) The advent of the multilingual English classroom: New directions in teacher education programs in Norway. FLTAL'15 International Conference on Foreign Language Teaching and Applied Linguistics . International Burch University; Sarajevo. 2015-05-12 - 2015-05-14.
- (2014) Prinsipper for grammatikkundervisningen. Fremmedspråksdidaktikk.
- (2014) Naturalistic acquisition in an early language classroom. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 5.
- (2014) Young language learners: The acquisition of English in Norwegian first-grade classrooms. 2014.
- (2013) Individual factors affecting acquisition in early-start L2 classrooms. PiF 2013 Psycholinguistics in Flanders . KU Leuven; Leuven. 2013-05-30 - 2013-05-31.
- (2013) Language exposure in child SLA. Thinking, Doing, Learning: Usage Based Perspectives on Second Language Learning . Second Language Research Center, Syddansk Universitet; Odense. 2013-04-24 - 2013-04-26.
- (2012) A possible source for added material in a sentence repetition task: Situation models in language development. Embodied and Situated Language Processing 2012 . Northumbria University; Newcastle-upon-Tyne. 2012-08-28.
- (2011) Early-start L2 English: effects of increased input on vocabulary and listening comprehension in Norwegian first-graders. PIF2011 Psycholinguistics in Flanders . University of Antwerp/Ghent University/KU Leuven; Antwerpen. 2011-05-25 - 2011-05-26.
- (2010) Studying early L2 comprehension in young children. What´s on your mind? Thinking for speaking in second language acquisition . the Institute of Language and Communication, International G; Odense. 2010-11-01 - 2010-11-02.
- (2008) Samarbeid mellom lærerutdanningsinstitusjon og skole-/barnehageeier Kartlegging, analyse og modellutvikling for HiTø og UiT. 2008. ISBN 9788273891259.
- (2004) Negative evidence in L2 acquisition. Nordlyd.
- (2000) Unlearning: On the Acquisition of Case Absorption Effects in English Passives by Native Speakers of Norwegian. 2000.