Background and activities
I have been engaged part-time at HUNT Research Centre since 1994, but had in 1989-90 a shorter engagement performing a study on eduction of children with asthma and their parents. I have been project leader of the Lung Study and co-project leader of the Osteoporosis Study in HUNT 2 and 3.. I have been a member of HUNT 3 management group, was leader of the HUNT3 Questionnaire group, and have since 2007 been Leader of HUNT Databank.
Otherwise I work two days a week as a general practitioner at Høvdinggården Legekontor, Steinkjer (www.hovdinggarden.no).
Research areas: Epidemiology of obstructive lung diseases, lung function, use of medcation and influence on bone mineral density, osteoporosis, quality in primary health care
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level, smoking and lung function in adults: the HUNT Study. European Respiratory Journal.
- (2015) Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and lung function in adults with asthma: the HUNT Study. European Respiratory Journal. vol. 45 (4).
- (2015) A randomised controlled study of the long-term effects of exercise training on mortality in elderly people: Study protocol for the generation 100 study. BMJ Open. vol. 5 (2).
- (2014) Self-reported cardiovascular disease and the risk of lung cancer, the HUNT study. Journal of Thoracic Oncology. vol. 9 (7).
- (2014) Systematic evaluation of coding variation identifies a candidate causal variant in TM6SF2 influencing total cholesterol and myocardial infarction risk. Nature Genetics. vol. 46 (4).
- (2014) No large-effect low-frequency coding variation found for myocardial infarction. Human Molecular Genetics. vol. 23 (17).
- (2014) Cohort profile of the Young-HUNT Study, Norway: A population-based study of adoelscents. International Journal of Epidemiology. vol. 43 (2).
- (2014) Is there an association between disease ignorance and self-rated health? The HUNT Study, a cross-sectional survey. BMJ Open. vol. 4 (5).
- (2014) Factors associated with vitamin D deficiency in a Norwegian population: the HUNT Study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. vol. 68 (2).
- (2014) Lung function and respiratory symptoms in association with mortality: The HUNT study. COPD: Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. vol. 11 (1).
- (2014) Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and self-reported allergic rhinitis in Norwegian adults - The HUNT Study. Allergy. European Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. vol. 69 (4).
- (2014) COPD and microalbinuria: a 12-year follow-up study. European Respiratory Journal. vol. 43.
- (2013) General and abdominal obesity and incident asthma in adults: the HUNT study. European Respiratory Journal. vol. 41 (2).
- (2013) Metabolic syndrome and incidence of asthma in adults: the HUNT study. European Respiratory Journal. vol. 42 (6).
- (2013) The associations of anxiety and depression symptoms with weight change and incident obesity: The HUNT Study. International Journal of Obesity. vol. 37 (9).
- (2013) The joint association of anxiety, depression and obesity with incident asthma in adults: the HUNT Study. International Journal of Epidemiology. vol. 42 (5).
- (2013) Association between a 15q25 gene variant, nicotine-related habits, lung cancer and COPD among 56 307 individuals from the HUNT study in Norway. European Journal of Human Genetics. vol. 21 (11).
- (2013) Bone mass density, fracture history, self-reported osteoporosis as proxy variables for estrogen and the risk of non-small-cell lung cancer : a population based cohort study, the HUNT study: are proxy variables friends or faults?. Lung Cancer. vol. 81 (1).
- (2013) Social and spatial patterns of obesity diffusion over three decades in a Norwegian county population: the HUNT Study. BMC Public Health. vol. 13 (1).
- (2013) GOLD classifications and mortality in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: the HUNT Study, Norway. Thorax. vol. 68 (10).