Background and activities
I have been engaged part-time at HUNT Research Centre since 1994, but had in 1989-90 a shorter engagement performing a study on eduction of children with asthma and their parents. I have been project leader of the Lung Study and co-project leader of the Osteoporosis Study in HUNT2, HUNT3 and HUNT4. I have been a member of the management group and leader of the Questionnaire group for both HUNT3 and HUNT4. Since 2007 I have been Leader of HUNT Databank https://hunt-db.medisin.ntnu.no/hunt-db/ .
Otherwise I work two days a week as a general practitioner at Høvdinggården Legekontor, Steinkjer (www.hovdinggarden.no).
Research areas: Epidemiology of obstructive lung diseases, lung function, use of medcation and influence on bone mineral density, osteoporosis, quality in primary health care
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Vitamin D and lung function decline in adults with asthma: the HUNT study. American Journal of Epidemiology. vol. 183 (8).
- (2016) Leisure time physical activity and the risk of hip or knee replacement due to primary osteoarthritis: A population based cohort study (The HUNT Study) Epidemiology of musculoskeletal disorders. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. vol. 17 (86).
- (2016) Validation of self-reported and hospital-diagnosed atrial fibrillation: The HUNT study. Clinical Epidemiology. vol. 8.
- (2016) Harmonising and linking biomedical and clinical data across disparate data archives to enable integrative cross-biobank research. European Journal of Human Genetics. vol. 24 (4).
- (2015) Subclinical Thyroid Dysfunction and Fracture Risk A Meta-analysis. Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA). vol. 313 (20).
- (2015) Cancer patients' participation in population-based health surveys: Findings from the HUNT studies Cancer. BMC Research Notes. vol. 8:649.
- (2015) Paranasal sinus opacification at MRI in lower airway disease (the HUNT study-MRI). European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology.
- (2015) Association between pulmonary function and peak oxygen uptake in elderly: the Generation 100 study. Respiratory Research. vol. 16 (1).
- (2015) Use of anti-osteoporotic drugs among women in central Norway after a forearm fracture. Norsk Epidemiologi, Supplement. vol. 25.
- (2015) Use of anti-osteoporotic drugs in central Norway after a forearm fracture. Archives of Osteoporosis. vol. 10.
- (2015) Intake of multivitamin supplements and incident asthma in Norwegian adults: the HUNT study. ERJ Open Research. vol. 1 (2).
- (2015) Diagnostic labelling influences self-rated health. A prospective cohort study: The HUNT study, Norway. Family Practice. vol. 32 (5).
- (2015) Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level, smoking and lung function in adults: the HUNT Study. European Respiratory Journal. vol. 46 (2).
- (2015) Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and lung function in adults with asthma: the HUNT Study. European Respiratory Journal. vol. 45 (4).
- (2015) Ovulation prevalence in women with spontaneous normal-length menstrual cycles - A population-based cohort from HUNT3, Norway. PLoS ONE. vol. 10 (8).
- (2015) Mortality prediction in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease comparing the GOLD 2007 and 2011 staging systems: A pooled analysis of individual patient data. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine. vol. 3 (6).
- (2015) A randomised controlled study of the long-term effects of exercise training on mortality in elderly people: Study protocol for the generation 100 study. BMJ Open. vol. 5 (2).
- (2014) Self-reported cardiovascular disease and the risk of lung cancer, the HUNT study. Journal of Thoracic Oncology. vol. 9 (7).
- (2014) Systematic evaluation of coding variation identifies a candidate causal variant in TM6SF2 influencing total cholesterol and myocardial infarction risk. Nature Genetics. vol. 46 (4).
- (2014) No large-effect low-frequency coding variation found for myocardial infarction. Human Molecular Genetics. vol. 23 (17).