Background and activities
Asbjørn Rolstadås is professor of Production and Quality Engineering at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology and Vice Dean for research at the Faculty of Engineering Science and Technology. His research covers topics like numerical control of machine tools, computer-aided manufacturing systems, productivity measurement and development, computer-aided production planning and control systems and project management methods and systems. He has published more than 280 papers and 20 books in these fields.
Rolstadås has about 35 years of experience from education, research and consulting in project management, and he received the King's Medal of Merit for his contribution in 2014. He has done studies of project execution of some major governmental projects, mainly within development of oil and gas in the North Sea. He has done research on risk analyses and contingency planning in cost estimates, and developed training courses in project planning and control using e-learning technology. He has been managing large national projects involving cooperation between industry and academia, and he has experience from managing complex, international research projects.
He is former president of the Norwegian Academy of Technical Sciences (NTVA) and member of The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences (DKNVS), the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences (IVA) and the European Academy of Industrial Management (AIM). He serves on the editorial board of number of journals, and is the founding editor of the International Journal of Production Planning and Control. He is honorary member and past president of IFIP (International Federation for Information Processing), and is the initiator of the IFIP working group WG5.7 on Production management. He is honorary member of the Norwegian Computer Society (data).
Recent Research Projects
- Understanding Success and Developing Management Leadership on International Mega-Projects (Research cooperation between NTNU, UC Berkeley and Statoil) (2010 - 2011)
- IMS 2020 - Supporting Global Research for IMS2020 Vision (EU-project) (2008 - 2011)
- TARGET - Transformative, Adaptive, Responsive and enGaging EnvironmenT (EU-project) (2008 - 2011)
- PRIME - Providing Real Integration in Multi-disciplinary Environments (EU-prosjekt) (2005 - 2008)
- PROMISE - Product Lifecycle Management and Information Tracking using Smart Embedded Systems (EU-project) (2004 - 2008)
- GEM - Global Education in Manufacturing (EU/IMS-projectt) (2002 - 2004)
Member Editorial Board of Scientific Journals
- Production Planning and Control
- Project Management Journal
- International Journal of Project Management
- International Journal for Business Performance Management
- International Journal of Manufacturing Technology and Management
- Journal of Enterprise Transformation
- Computers in Industry
Recent publications - books/book chapters
Aarseth, Wenche; Rolstadås, Asbjørn; Klev, Roger: Project Leadership Challenges - Their nature and how they are managed. Fagbokforlaget 2016 (ISBN:978-82-450-2130-1).
Aarseth, Wenche; Rolstadås, Asbjørn; Klev, Roger: Lederskap i prosjekter. Fagbokforlaget 2015 (ISBN 978-82-450-1812-7).
Rolstadås, Asbjørn; Olsson, Nils; Johansen, Agnar; Langlo, Jan Alexander: Praktisk prosjektledelse - Fra ide til gevinst. Fagbokforlaget 2014 (ISBN 978-82-450-1690-1).
Rolstadås, Asbjørn; Pinto, Jeffrey K.; Falster, Peter; Venkataraman, Ray: Decision Making in Project Management. Fagbokforlaget 2014 (ISBN 978-82-450-1773-1). NTNU Engineering Series(4).
Hald, Linda Cathrine; Rolstadås, Asbjørn: Project Management of Collaborative Research - the Stakeholder Challenge. In Project Management. Practices, Challenges and Developments. Nova Science Publishers, Inc. 2013 ISBN 9781629481838. pp. 33-59.
Rolstadås, Asbjørn; Henriksen, Bjørnar; O'Sullivan, David: Manufacturing Outsourcing - A Knowledge Perspective. Springer 2012 (ISBN 978-1-4471-2953-0).
Rolstadås, Asbjørn; Hetland, Per Willy; Jergeas, George; Westney, Richard.: Risk Navigation Strategies for Major Capital Projects - Beyond the Myth of Predictability. Springer 2011 (ISBN 978-0-85729-593-4). Springer Series in Reliability Engineering.
Rolstadås, Asbjørn: Praktisk prosjektstyring, 5. utgave. Tapir Akademisk Forlag 2011 (ISBN 978 82-519-2757-4)
Rolstadås, Asbjørn; Andersen, Bjørn; Fradinho, Manuel.
E-Learning for SMEs: Challenges, Potential and Impact. Chapter in: E-Business Issues, Challenges and Opportunities for SMEs: Driving Competitiveness. IGI Global 2011 (ISBN 9781616928803) pp 46-64.
Rolstadås, Asbjørn.: Applied Project Management - How to Organize, Plan and Control Projects. Tapir Akademisk Forlag 2008 (ISBN 978-82-519-2287-6).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Value of Uncertainty: The Lost Opportunities in Large Projects. Administrative Sciences. vol. 6 (3).
- (2015) Project Decision Chain. Project Management Journal. vol. 46 (4).
- (2014) Managing organizational challenges in global projects. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business. vol. 7 (1).
- (2014) Risk Navigation in One-of-a-kind Production. Advanced Materials Research. vol. 1039.
- (2014) Understanding project success through analysis of project management approach. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business. vol. 7 (4).
- (2013) Experience from continuing education using e-learning. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. vol. 24 (3).
- (2012) How Project Manager – Project Owner Interaction Can Work within and Influence Project Risk Management. Project Management Journal. vol. 43 (2).
- (2012) A Case Study of How Stakeholder Management Influenced Project Uncertainty Regarding Project Benefits. International Journal of Information Technology Project Management. vol. 3 (2).
- (2011) Key factors for management of global projects: a case study. International Journal of Transitions and Innovation systems. vol. 1 (4).
- (2011) An empirical analysis of project risk in a time perspective. International Journal of Project Organisation and Management. vol. 3 (1).
- (2011) Global education in manufacturing strategy. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. vol. 22 (5).
- (2010) The use of performance measurement as a basis for project control of offshore modification oil and gas projects. Production planning & control (Print). vol. 21 (8).
- (2010) Knowledge and manufacturing strategy - how different manufacturing paradigms have different requirements to knowledge. Examples from the automotive industry. International Journal of Production Research. vol. 48 (8).
- (2010) Categorizing Risks in Seven Large Projects-Which Risks Do the Projects Focus On?. Project Management Journal. vol. 41 (1).
- (2010) Influence of reference points in ex post evaluations of rail infrastructure projects. Transport Policy. vol. 17 (4).
- (2006) Global Education in Manufacturing: Basic Framework, Industrial Survey and Possible Implementation. Managing Global Transitions. vol. 4 (3).
- (2005) Prosjektledelse - quo vadis. Prosjektledelse.
- (2004) Survey of Manufacturing Curricula from around the World. Production planning & control (Print). vol. 15 (1).
- (1999) Paradigms and New Trends in Production Planning and Control. The Annals of the German Academic Society for Production Engineering. vol. VI (1).
- (1998) A Set of Modeling Methods for Project-Oriented Modeling. Project Management. vol. 4 (1).