Background and activities
PhD-candidate from Dec. 2014 - March 2018
Supervisor: Marta Molinas
Working title of PhD-work:
"Real-time monitoring of stability in power electronic dominated power systems"
Key words: stability boundaries of power electronics systems, smart grid, offshore grids, power electronics controller interactions, small and large signal stability, Generalized Nyquist Criterion, Impedance-based stability method
Objective and methodology
The objective of the project will be to develop generic stability analysis tools for quantifying the power electronic system stability region and boundaries. The project will be based on a combination of analyses, simulation and experimental work. The starting point for the development will be based on the current state-of-the-art methods widely utilized in classical power systems and the recent developments for PE dominated systems, e.g. impedance-based stability analysis, small signal methods, generalized Nyquist criterion. Modelling of the power electronics converters as input to such methods will be critical for the validity of the new tools to be developed in this research. The level of detailing and accuracy in the representation of the power electronics units, the individual controllers and the signal processing delay effects will be decided through a rigorous and systematic analysis and validation procedure based on experimental benchmarks. Experimental validation will be essential to ensure that relevant and critical behavior does not remain hidden by oversimplified modelling of the system. The expected outcome from this research will be a set of tools (tool box) that can provide multi-variable stability indicators and/or multi-dimensional stability maps of power electronics systems.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Self-synchronisation of Wind Farm in MMC-based HVDC System: A Stability Investigation. IEEE transactions on energy conversion. vol. PP (PP).
- (2017) Technical impacts of high penetration levels of wind power on power system stability. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment. vol. 6 (2).
- (2017) Apparent impedance analysis: A small-signal method for stability analysis of power electronic based systems. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics.
- (2016) A Modified Sequence-Domain Impedance Definition and Its Equivalence to the dq-Domain Impedance Definition for the Stability Analysis of AC Power Electronic Systems. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics. vol. 4 (4).
- (2016) System-Wide Harmonic Mitigation in a Diesel Electric Ship by Model Predictive Control. IEEE transactions on industrial electronics (1982. Print). vol. 63 (7).
- (2015) Passive filter design and offshore wind turbine modelling for system level harmonic studies. Energy Procedia. vol. 80.
- (2015) Handling system harmonic propagation in a diesel-electric ship with an active filter. Electrical Systems for Aircraft, Railway and Ship Propulsion. vol. 2015-May.
- (2015) Possible failure modes in Press-Pack IGBTs. Microelectronics and reliability. vol. 55 (6).
- (2014) Integrating Offshore Wind Power and Multiple Oil and Gas Platforms to the Onshore Power Grid Using VSC-HVDC Technology. Marine Technology Society journal. vol. 48 (2).
- (2014) Experimental Verification of a Voltage Droop Control for Grid Integration of Offshore Wind Farms Using Multi-terminal HVDC. Energy Procedia. vol. 53.
- (2013) Influence of the clamping pressure on the electrical, thermal and mechanical behaviour of press-pack IGBTs. Microelectronics and reliability. vol. 53 (9-11).
- (2012) Voltage and Frequency Control in Offshore Wind Turbines Connected to Isolated Oil Platform Power Systems. Energy Procedia. vol. 24.
Part of book/report
- (2016) Active power flow direction effect on stability in multi-terminal VSC-HVDC transmission system in integrating wind farm. 2016 IEEE 17th Workshop on Control and Modeling for Power Electronics, COMPEL 2016 : Proceedings.
- (2016) Apparent impedance analysis: A new method for power system stability analysis. 2016 IEEE 17th Workshop on Control and Modeling for Power Electronics, COMPEL 2016 : Proceedings.
- (2016) Frequency-dependent source and load impedances in power systems based on power electronic converters. 19th Power Systems Computation Conference PSCC 2016.
- (2016) Real-time stability analysis of power electronic systems. 2016 IEEE 17th Workshop on Control and Modeling for Power Electronics, COMPEL 2016 : Proceedings.
- (2015) Laboratory demonstration of inertial response from VSC-HVDC connected wind farms. 11th IET International Conference on AC and DC Power Transmission 2015 (IET ACDC 2015).
- (2014) Laboratory demonstration of an offshore grid in the North Sea with DC droop control. 2014 Ninth International Conference and Exhibition on Ecological Vehicles and Renewable Energies - EVER 2013.
- (2014) Challenges with integration and operation of offshore oil & gas platforms connected to an offshore wind power plant. 2014 European Conference on Electrical and Instrumentation Applications in the Petroleum & Chemical Industry - PCIC EUROPE 2014.
- (2013) Grid Integration of Offshore Wind Power and Multiple Oil and Gas Platforms. Proceedings of 2013 MTS/IEEE Oceans - Bergen.