Background and activities
Axel Sandvig MD, PhD is principal investigator/group leader at the Department of Neuromedicine and Movement Science, NTNU and steering committee member for the Morphogenetic Engineering R&D Stream, NTNU.
Main research interests: translational neuroscience; morphogenetic neuroengineering; neuroplasticity; neurotechnologies for motor impaired patients
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Effects of neural stem cell and olfactory ensheathing cell co-transplants on tissue remodelling after transient focal cerebral ischemia in the adult rat. Neurochemical Research. vol. Published ahead of print.
- (2017) Epigenetic modulation of stem cells in neurodevelopment: The role of methylation and acetylation. Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience. vol. 11:23.
- (2017) Strategies to enhance implantation and survival of stem cells after their injection in ischemic neural tissue. Stem Cells and Development.
- (2017) Synthesis of gadolinium oxide nanodisks and gadolinium doped iron oxide nanoparticles for MR contrast agents. Journal of materials chemistry. B. vol. 5 (3).
- (2016) Current developments in cell-and biomaterial-based approaches for stroke repair. Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy. vol. 16 (1).
- (2016) L-DOPA-Coated Manganese Oxide Nanoparticles as Dual MRI Contrast Agents and Drug-Delivery Vehicles. Small. vol. 12 (3).
- (2016) Spontaneous chronic epidural hematoma in the lumbar spine associated with Warfarin intake: a case report. SpringerPlus. vol. 5 (1).
- (2016) Injectable Extracellular Matrix Hydrogels as Scaffolds for Spinal Cord Injury Repair. Tissue Engineering. Part A. vol. 22 (3-4).
- (2015) Controlling the self-assembly and optical properties of gold nanoclusters and gold nanoparticles biomineralized with bovine serum albumin. RSC Advances. vol. 5 (122).
- (2015) Self-assembly and characterization of transferrin-gold nanoconstructs and their interaction with bio-interfaces. Nanoscale. vol. 7 (17).
- (2015) RGD-peptide modified alginate by a chemoenzymatic strategy for tissue engineering applications. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part A. vol. 103 (3).
- (2015) Nanoparticle delivery to the brain - By focused ultrasound and self-assembled nanoparticle-stabilized microbubbles. Journal of Controlled Release. vol. 220.
- (2014) Synthesis and in vitro cellular interactions of superparamagnetic iron nanoparticles with a crystalline gold shell. Applied Surface Science. vol. 316 (1).
- (2013) Nanoparticle Mediated P-Glycoprotein Silencing for Improved Drug Delivery across the Blood-Brain Barrier: A siRNA-Chitosan Approach. PLoS ONE. vol. 8 (1:e54182).
- (2012) Labelling of olfactory ensheathing cells with micron-sized particles of iron oxide and detection by MRI. Contrast Media & Molecular Imaging. vol. 7 (4).
- (2012) In vivo MRI of olfactory ensheathing cell grafts and regenerating axons in transplant mediated repair of the adult rat optic nerve. NMR in Biomedicine. vol. 25 (4).
- (2011) Axonal tracing of the normal and regenerating regenerating visual pathway of mouse, rat, frog and fish using manganese-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging (MEMRI). Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. vol. 34 (3).
- (2010) Manganese Transport in the Rat Optic Nerve Evaluated With Spatial- and Time-Resolved Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. vol. 32 (3).
- (2009) Combination of Mn2+-Enhanced and Diffusion Tensor MR Imaging Gives Complementary Information About Injury and Regeneration in the Adult Rat Optic Nerve. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. vol. 29 (1).
- (2008) Axon tracing in the adult rat optic nerve and tract after intravitreal injection of MnDPDP using a semiautomatic segmentation technique. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. vol. 27 (1).