Background and activities
Bendik Manum is architect and civil engineer by education and professional practices and holds a PhD from AHO, Oslo School of Architecture and Design.
His field of work is structural mechanics for architects, ranging from teaching theory and supervising design to conducting research on loadbearing structures in architecture. Bendik Manum is particularly interested in teaching and research merging the scholarly and professional practices of architecture and structural engineering. During recent years, this collaboration in teaching and research across the disciplines has resulted in several interesting works by students to be built in real and uniting architectural and structural design.
Besides this main work, Bendik Manum is involved in research on spatial morphology leaning on Space Syntax methodology. This work includes studies of urban form and non-motorised transportation, particularly examining street network properties important for bicycling.
2015- Professor, NTNU-AB, Department of Architecture, History and Technology
2013-2015 Professor, AHO (since 2015: adjunct professor)
2011-2013 Head of Department, NTNU-AB, Department of Architecture, History and Technology
2010-2015 Associate Professor, NTNU-AB, Department of Architecture, History and Technology
2007-2010 Postdoctoral Fellowship, NTNU-AB
2006 PhD, AHO
1998-2001 Teaching, AHO
1996-1998 Structural engineer, consultant, Dr.Techn. Kristoffer Apeland AS, Oslo
1993-1996 Architect, 4B Arkitekter, Oslo
1992 Master of Architecture (Sivilarkitekt MNAL), AHO
1986 Master of Science (Sivilingeniør bygg), NTNU (NTH)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Distances, accessibilities and attractiveness; urban form correlates of willingness to pay for dwellings examined by space syntax based measurements in GIS. The Journal of Space Syntax. vol. 6 (2).
- (2016) Additive construction: State-of-the-art, challenges and opportunities. Automation in Construction. vol. 72.
- (2008) Gode boliger, en av arkitektfagets store utfordringer?. Arkitektur N.
- (2011) Snippen, hytte i Trollheimen. Bendik Manum og AnneLise Bjerkan. 2011.
- (2014) Arkitektur 6 Boken 2014 / GNIST. 2014. ISBN 978-82-7551-097-4.
- (2012) Birdwatching Tower in Rindal. 2012. ISBN 978-82-7551-077-6.
Part of book/report
- (2016) Experimental and numerical study of the structural performance of a timber gridshell. World Conference on Timber Engineering (WCTE 2016).
- (2016) INTRODUCING THE SEGMENT LATH - A SIMPLIFIED MODULAR TIMBER GRIDSHELL BUILT IN TRONDHEIM NORWAY. World Conference on Timber Engineering (WCTE 2016).
- (2015) Trondheim HolzBau Pier - The Elegance of Efficiency. IABSE Conference, Nara 2015: Elegance in Structures.
- (2014) Urban Form and Daily Travel; Increasing Walking and Bicycling by Means of Urban Planning. Utopia Revisited. Towards a Carbon-Neutral Neighborhood at Brøset.
- (2014) Sustainable Transport - Approaches and Challenges. Utopia Revisited. Towards a Carbon-Neutral Neighborhood at Brøset.
- (2013) Engineers and the role of structures in architecture. Structures and Architecture – Concepts, Applications and Challenges.
- (2013) The advantage of full-size construction as an educational tool in architecture education. Structures and Architecture – Concepts, Applications and Challenges.
- (2012) Introduction. Birdwatching Tower in Rindal.
- (2012) Researc by design - A study of main differences in architectural expression, timber engineering and interaction between these when digital modelling is compared with physical modelling as design tool. World Conference on Timber Engineering WCTE2012, Final Papers, Strength and Serviceability - Extreme Events.
- (2012) Research by design - A study of main differences in architectural expression, timber engineering and interaction between these when digital modelling is compared with physical modelling as desing tool. World Conference on Timber Engineering WCTE2012, Book of Abstracts, Volume II.
- (2011) Structural Design and Lessons to Learn from Architecture. Taller, longer, lighter. IABSE-IASS symposium 2011.
- (2011) Drømmen om det enkle liv - et grunnlag for en mer bærekraftig hyttekultur?. Norske hytter i endring. Om bærekraft og behag.
- (2010) To be or to do; a study of architects' and engineers' contributions to bridge design. Structures and Architecture.
- (2002) The interior space of apartments : combining quantitative and qualitative methods. Årbok / Arkitekthøgskolen i Oslo.