Background and activities
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Framing humanitarian action through design thinking: integrating vulnerable end-users into complex multi-stakeholder systems through 'Agenda Space mapping'. Journal of Design Research. vol. 15 (1).
- (2014) Imperatives and trade-offs for the humanitarian designer: Off-grid energy for humanitarian relief. Journal of Sustainable Development. vol. 7 (2).
- (2014) Out of Context. Ethnographic Interviewing, Empathy and Humanitarian Design. Design Philosophy Papers. vol. 12 (1).
- (2014) The reflective designer: A discussion on ethics based on end-user involvement in Kebri Beyah refugee camp. Proceedings of the ... International Design Conference. vol. 2014-January.
- (2013) Design for social entrepreneurship. Journal of US-China Public Administration. vol. 10 (6).
- (2013) Designing for multiple stakeholder interests within the humanitarian market: the case of off–grid energy devices. International Journal of Learning and Change. vol. 7 (1/2).
Part of book/report
- (2017) Confronting the five paradoxes of humanitarian design. Routledge Handbook of Sustainable Design.
- (2016) The Humanitarian Innovation lab dialogue series: defining the 'how's' of humanitarian innovation at NTNU. NordDesign 2016.
- (2016) The Added Value of Social Entrepreneurship in Contemporary Social Design in Norway. Social entrepreneurship and social enterprices. Nordic perspectives..
- (2014) The Capability Approach: Theoretical Discussion in Light of a Design Project. Design Education & Human Technology Relations. The 16th International Conference on Engineering & Product Design Education.
- (2014) HCD in a Quasi-Market: Lessons from a Design Project in Kebri Beyah Refugee Camp, Ethiopia. Design Education & Human Technology Relations. The 16th International Conference on Engineering & Product Design Education.
- (2013) Key Challenges of Product Development for Humanitarian Markets. Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (GHTC).
- (2012) Participate! A critical investigation into the relationship between participation and empowerment in design for development. Proceedings of The Ninth Norddesign Conference, 2012.
- (2012) Mapping the added value of design thinking in social entrepreneurship. Proceedings of The Ninth Norddesign Conference, 2012.
- (2016) Planning Instruments for Smart Energy Communities - Report 2.1. Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet. 2016.
- (2016) How Can Innovation Deliver Humanitarian Outcomes? Challenges and Approaches for Humanitarian Innovation Policy. 2016. ISBN 978-82-7288-700-0. PRIO Policy Brief (12).