Background and activities
I'm a PhD candidate at the Department of Language and Literature. I have a master's degree in Scandinavian language. I have also studied political science and religious studies.
- Language mixing
- Heritage languages (American Norwegian)
My doctoral project:
In my project, I investigate the morphosyntax of American Norwegian noun phrases that show mixing between Norwegian and English. American Norwegian is the variety spoken by Norwegians who settled in the US roughly from the 1850s and onwards, and their descendants. The extensive contact with English has left its mark on the variety as for instance language mixing, typically characterized by English content items occurring together with Norwegian functional material, and I am interested in what these mixed phrases can tell us about the structure of Norwegian noun phrases and also about the principles of mixing. Theoretically, I follow an exoskeletal approach to grammar, where the general claim is that syntactic structures provide a skeleton or frame in which functional or substantial items are inserted. Functional components are analyzed as realizations of functional feature bundles in the structure, whereas content items are inserted into designated, open slots. Besides the typical mixing patterns in American Norwegian noun phrases, I also work on the more unexpected occurrence of the English plural –s, gender, as well as possible diachronic changes in the mixing patterns. The goals of my project are to provide a formal analysis of mixed American Norwegian noun phrases, and to demonstrate how an exoskeletal grammar is ideally suited to capture these empirical patterns at the same time as it complies with the ideal of a null theory of language mixing.
Supervisors: Tor Anders Åfarli and Terje Lohndal
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Language Mixing and Diachronic Change: American Norwegian Noun Phrases Then and Now. Languages. vol. 2 (2).
- (2016) Grammatikk og rettskriving. Nye rammer for språknormering. Novus Forlag. 2016. ISBN 978-82-7099-868-5.
- (2013) Syntaks og ortografi: Nye rammer for språknormering. 2013.
- (2016) Word-internal language mixing, late insertion and underspecification. Comparative Germanic Syntax Workshop 31 . Stellenbosch University; Stellenbosch University. 2016-12-01 - 2016-12-03.
- (2016) Diachronic change in nominal structures: a case study of American Norwegian DPs. SynVar 3 . Delhi University; Delhi. 2016-10-10 - 2016-10-14.
- (2016) Language Mixing and Diachronic Change: patterns of change in mixed American Norwegian noun phrases. Heritage Language Acquisition: Breaking New Ground in Methodology and Domains of Inquiry ; 2016-09-19 - 2016-09-20.
- (2016) Lexicalist vs. exoskeletal approaches: mixed American Norwegian DPs. Indo-Norwegian Syntax Workshop ; 2016-09-12 - 2016-09-13.
- (2015) Exoskeletal approaches to grammar: evidence from mixing and flexibility. Norwegian Graduate Student conference in Linguistics and Philology (NoSLiP) . LingPhil; UiT, the Arctic University of Norway. 2015-01-22 - 2015-01-23.
- (2015) What language mixing can tell us about the syntax of gender. Linguistics Complexity in the Individual and Society . LCIS, NTNU; Trondheim. 2015-10-15 - 2015-10-16.
- (2015) Språkblanding i amerikanorske nomenfrasar. MONS 16 - møte om norsk språk . UiA; Kristiansand. 2015-11-25 - 2015-11-27.
- (2015) Språkblanding i nomenfrasar. Fagdag om amerikanorsk ; 2015-03-27 - 2015-03-27.
- (2015) Language mixing within verbs and nominal phrases in American Norwegian. International Symposium on Bilingualism 10 . Rutgers University; New Brunswick. 2015-05-20 - 2015-05-24.
- (2014) «Jeg teach-a første grade-en» - språkblanding i amerikanorsk. Lunsjforedrag i anledning den europeiske språkdagen . NTNU Universitetsbibliotek, Dragvoll; NTNU Universitetsbibliotek, Dragvoll. 2014-09-26 - 2014-09-26.
- (2014) The inadequacy of feature-based lexicalist theories: A case-study of American Norwegian. 5th Annual Workshop on Immigrant Languages in the Americas . UCLA; Los Angeles. 2014-10-17 - 2014-10-19.
- (2014) Language Mixing in American Norwegian DPs. Distributed Morphology and Language Mixing (DAAD project Stuttgart-Trondheim) . DAAD; Trondheim. 2014-12-01 - 2014-12-01.
- (2013) Syntaktisk teori og den strukturelle "nærleiken" mellom nynorsk og bokmål. Møte om norsk språk (MONS) 15 . Universitetet i Oslo; Oslo. 2013-11-21 - 2013-11-23.