Background and activities
Carl Thodesen has been the Head of the Department of Civil and Transport Engineering since August, 2013.
He has a bachelor (civ.eng.), master (civ.ing in Applied Fluid Dynamics) and PhD (Materials, Statistics Minor) from Clemson University in South Carolina, USA.
Main fields of competence
- Modified asphalt binders
- Asphalt binder technology and testing
- Project management
- Asphalt rubber production
- Indicator development
- Research Manager for road and railway division, SINTEF Byggforsk (2012-2013)
- Senior Research Scientist, SINTEF Byggforsk (2012-2013)
- Research Scientist, SINTEF Byggforsk (2010-2012)
- Senior Civil Engineer, Ecopath Industries, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA (2008-2010)
- Graduate Research Assistant, Asphalt Rubber Technology Service - Clemson, South Carolina, USA (2005-2008)
- Graduate Research Assistant, Clemson Hydraulics Laboratory - Clemson, South Carolina, USA (2003-2005)
For more information, see Carl Thodesen’s CV to the left under contact information.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Managing Concurrent Construction Projects Using Knowledge Management and Set-based Thinking. Procedia Engineering. vol. 164.
- (2016) A framework for Organizing a Resilient Cost Benefit Analysis for Construction Projects. Procedia Engineering. vol. 145.
- (2016) Cost Development Over-time at Construction Planning Phase: Empirical Evidence from Norwegian Construction Projects. Procedia Engineering. vol. 145.
- (2013) Improved Resistance of Long-Term Aged Warm-Mix Asphalt to Moisture Damage Containing Moist Aggregates. Journal of materials in civil engineering. vol. 25 (7).
- (2012) Effect of Wheel Track Sample Geometry on Results. RILEM Bookseries. vol. 4.
- (2012) Review of asphalt pavement evaluation methods and current applications in Norway. Baltic Journal of Road and Bridge Engineering. vol. 7 (4).
Part of book/report
- (2015) Influence of sodium chloride and potassium formate as deicing agents on asphalt mixture durability. Bituminous Mixtures and Pavements VI.
- (2015) Laboratory testing methods for evaluating the moisture damage on the aggregate-asphalt system. 8th RILEM International Symposium on Testing and Characterization of Sustainable and Innovative Bituminous Materials.
- (2013) Effect of Aggregate Mineralogy on Permanent Deformation. Proceedings Ninth International Conference on the Bearing Capacity of Roads, Railways and Airfields - Volume 2.
- (2013) Effect of Freeze-thaw Cycles and Deicing Fluids on Pavements. Proceedings Ninth International Conference on the Bearing Capacity of Roads, Railways and Airfields - Volume 2.
- (2013) Effect of Filler Properties on the Rheological and Volumetric Properties of Mastic and Asphalt Mixes. Proceedings Ninth International Conference on the Bearing Capacity of Roads, Railways and Airfields - Volume 2.
- (2013) Comparative analysis of best practices : review of existing methods and development of an indicator suite for pantura goals : D6.4. 2013.
- (2013) D6.21 : Proposed new measures and standards on health, safety, sustainability & structural reliability. 2013.
- (2012) Testing av Epoksyasfalt : Testing av prøver i Prall med forskjellige herdingsperioder (1, 2, og 7 dager). 2012. ISBN 978-82-14-05168-1. SINTEF Rapport (SBF 2012 A0123).
- (2012) Benchmarking the state of the art solutions : a comparative analysis of best practices : D6.9. 2012.
- (2010) Study of Water Effects on Asphalt and Porous Asphalt. 2010.
- (2010) SIP prosjekt: State of art study of infrastructure evaluation procedures for road pavements, airfield pavements, and railway tracks. 2010. SINTEF Rapport (SBF IN A10009).