Background and activities
Associate Professor in Biology, specializing in the teaching and learning of science, NTNU
From 2009 until 2013, I was the head of NTNU’s program, “Kompetanse i Skolen” (“Competence in School”). Thereafter, from 2013 until 2016 I was the head for Program for teacher education at NTNU. Previously, I was involved in a total of eight scientific projects and I was the leader on five of those projects.
My main interest is how learning can be facilitated and contextualised through practical work in school.
My research has been focused in two different areas. Before 2006, I published papers within the field of Ecology. I had, however, gradually been changing my research focus towards the teaching and learning science.
My research within teaching and learning has focused on how learning of conceptual knowledge in science can be contextualized. A special focus has been put on technology and design and the use of ICT and how to bridge the gap between students’ life both in and outside of school.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Science and Mathematics as part of practical projects in technology and design: An analysis of challenges in realising the curriculum in Norwegian schools. NorDiNa : Nordic Studies in Science Education. vol. 10 (1).
- (2013) Hvordan bidrar elevenes erfaringer til arbeidet med teknologi og design?. Naturfag.
- (2012) Et forskningsprosjekt om teknologi og design i skolen. Naturfag.
- (2012) Fire elevprosjekter innenfor teknologi og design. Naturfag. vol. 2.
- (2006) Is reduced body growth of cod exposed to the gill parasite Lernaeocera branchialis a cost of resistance?. Journal of Fish Biology. vol. 69 (5).
- (2002) The parasite Lernaeocera branchialis on caged cod: infection pattern is caused by differences in host susceptibility. Parasitology. vol. 124.
Part of book/report
- (2016) Students’ Use of Science and Mathematics in Practical Projects in Design and Technology. Insights from Research in Science Teaching and Learning.
- (2013) Teknologiprosjekter som læringsarena og betydningen av hensikt og kontekst. Proceedings of FoU i praksis 2012 : conference proceedings. Trondheim, 23. og 24. april 2012.
- (2013) Hvordan bidrar elevenes erfaringer til arbeidet med teknologi i skolen?. Proceedings of FoU i praksis 2012 : conference proceedings. Trondheim, 23. og 24. april 2012.
- (2013) A practical approach in technology and design in a school for all (Norway). Inquiry in Science Education and Science Teacher Education.
- (2013) Meningsdanning i matematikk basert på arbeid i teknologi og design. Proceedings of FoU i praksis 2012 : conference proceedings. Trondheim, 23. og 24. april 2012.
- (2012) Technology & design as contexts for science and mathematics? An empirical study of the realisation of curriculum intentions in Norwegian schools. PATT 26 conference : Stockholm, Sweden 26–30 June 2012: Technology Education in the 21st Century.
- (2012) Bloggen - en lite utnytta mulighet?. FoU i Praksis 2011. Rapport fra konferanse om praksisrettet FoU i lærerutdanning. Trondheim, 26. og 27. april 2011.
- (2012) Praktisk arbeid på tvers av fag - sløsing med tid eller godt læringsarbeid?. FoU i Praksis 2011. Rapport fra konferanse om praksisrettet FoU i lærerutdanning. Trondheim, 26. og 27. april 2011.
- (2011) Discussions on conceptual knowledge and the use of blogs. STEM in education conference proceedings.
- (2010) The use of blogs in discussions on conceptual knowledge. CONTEMPORARY SCIENCE EDUCATION RESEARCH: TEACHING.
- (2013) Skolebasert kompetanseutvikling. Piloten i Midt-Norge 2012/2013. En kvalitativ kasusstudie av faktorer som hemmer og fremmer læring. 2013.
- (2003) Do parasites influence reproductive effort in Atlantic cod?. 21th symposium of the Scandinavian Society for Parasitology ; Bergen. 2003-06-12 - 2003-06-15.
- (2002) Variation in infection levels in natural populations due to differences in host susceptibility. the 10th International Congress of Parasitology - ICOPA X ; Vancouver, Canada. 2002-08-04 - 2002-08-09.
- (2001) Variation in susceptibility and body growth between hosts identified by their infection history. 20th Symposium of the Scandinavian Society for Parasitology ; Stockholm-Sweden. 2001-10-04 - 2001-10-07.