Background and activities
Dr. Powell is a researcher and lecturer with expertise in the field of Lean Production.
Dr. Daryl Powell PhD is a post-doctoral research fellow at the Department of Production and Quality Engineering, at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, Norway. His education is in automotive engineering and lean manufacturing from the University of Wales, Swansea Metropolitan University. He has broad experience from industry, particularly from working with continuous improvement at Schaeffler (UK) Ltd. The research of Dr. Powell focusses on lean production and information technology, with a particular emphasis on how IT can be used to support lean production control principles. He has published in journals such as Lean Management Journal, International Journal of Production Research, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, and International Journal of Lean Six Sigma. Powell is also a member of the Institute of Engineering and Technology and the Institute of Operations Management.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Towards a framework for lean operations in product-oriented Product service systems. CIRP - Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology. vol. 9.
- (2014) A framework for ICT-enabled real-time production planning and control. Advances in Manufacturing. vol. 2 (2).
- (2014) Adoption of quality management practices: An investigation of its relationship with labor productivity for labor-intensive manufacturing companies. Benchmarking : An International Journal. vol. 21 (1).
- (2014) A New Set of Principles for Pursuing the Lean Ideal in Engineer-to-order Manufacturers. Procedia CIRP. vol. 17.
- (2014) Globally Distributed Engineering Processes: Making the Distinction between Engineer-to-order and Make-to-order. Procedia CIRP. vol. 17.
- (2013) ERP systems in lean production: new insights from a review of lean and ERP literature. International Journal of Operations & Production Management. vol. 33 (11-12).
- (2013) The concurrent application of lean production and ERP: Towards an ERP-based lean implementation process. Computers in industry (Print). vol. 64 (3).
- (2013) ERP: Enterprise-wide Respect for People. Lean Management Journal. vol. 3 (7).
- (2013) Bites-sized Lean. Lean Management Journal. vol. 3 (5).
- (2013) Lean production and ERP systems in small- and medium-sized enterprises: ERP support for pull production. International Journal of Production Research. vol. 51 (2).
- (2012) RFID for the Extended Lean Enterprise. International Journal of Lean Six Sigma. vol. 3 (3).
- (2011) Understanding customer value. Lean Management Journal.
- (2011) Lean production vs ERP systems: an ICT paradox?. Operations Management. vol. 37 (3).
- (2010) The Application of Lean Production Control Methods within a Process-Type Industry: The Case of Hydro Automotive Structures. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 338.
Part of book/report
- (2014) Integration of MRP Logic and Kanban Shopfloor Control. Handbook of Research on Design and Management of Lean Production Systems.
- (2013) A Framework for Real-time Production Planning and Control. Proceedings of IWAMA 2013 - The Third International Workshop of Advanced Manufacturing and Automation.
- (2013) The servitization of manufacturing: A methodology for the development of after sales services. Advances in Production Management Systems. Competitive Manufacturing for Innovative Products and Services IFIP WG 5.7 International Conference, APMS 2012, Rhodes, Greece, September 24-26, 2012, Revised Selected Papers, Part II.
- (2013) Sustainable Food Supply Chains: Towards a Framework for Waste Identification. Advances in Production Management Systems: Competitive Manufacturing for Innovative Products and Services.
- (2013) Investigating the Applicability of Lean Principles in a Small, One-of-a-Kind Production Company. Proceedings of IWAMA 2013 - The Third International Workshop of Advanced Manufacturing and Automation.
- (2013) MES Support for Lean Production. Advances in Production Management Systems: Competitive Manufacturing for Innovative Products and Services.