Background and activities
Dr. Dirk Ahlers has been an ERCIM Marie Curie postdoctoral fellow at the Data and Information Management group and is currently a research scientist in the Information Systems group working on Urban Intelligence, knowledge management, mobility and geospatial analysis, Smart Cities, and emission monitoring systems.
His research interests are Geospatial Retrieval, Information Retrieval, Web Mining, Search Engines, Information Access, Mobile, and Everything Geo.
You can find him at Geo: N 63.417053 E 10.402551
He is organizing the CS3CS — Workshop on City Strategies for Smart Sustainable Climate Solutions in Trondheim and is the co-chair of the LocWeb - Location and the Web workshop series.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Training on the Job: Learning While Searching in an Engineering Workplace. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 1647.
- (2015) Surveying GeoNames Gazetteer Data for the Nordic Countries. NIK: Norsk Informatikkonferanse.
- (2015) Document and Corpus Quality Challenges for Knowledge Management in Engineering Enterprises. ACM Journal of Data and Information Quality. vol. 6 (4).
- (2015) Report on the Fifth Workshop on Location and the Web (LocWeb 2015). SIGIR Forum. vol. 49 (2).
- (2015) Report on the Fourth Workshop on Location and the Web (LocWeb 2014). SIGIR Forum. vol. 49 (1).
- (2015) Open, Autonomous Digital Ecosystems – How to Create and Evolve Trustworthy Systems of Systems?. ERCIM News.
- (2014) Applying Geographic Information Retrieval — An Experience Report on Developing Local Search for a Developing Country. Datenbank-Spektrum. vol. 14 (1).
- (2014) Semantic social recommendations in knowledge-based engineering. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 1210.
- (2012) Multi-source entity-based conflation for local search. Revista Colombiana de Computación - RCC. vol. 13 (2).
- (2014) LocWeb '14 — Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Location and the Web. ACM Digital Library. 2014. ISBN 978-1-4503-1459-6.
Part of book/report
- (2016) Visualizing a City Within a City — Mapping Mobility Within a University Campus. Smart City 360°.
- (2016) Understanding Smart Cities as Social Machines. WWW '16 Companion Proceedings of the 25th International Conference Companion on World Wide Web.
- (2016) LocWeb '16 — Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Location and the Web. WWW '16 Companion Proceedings of the 25th International Conference Companion on World Wide Web.
- (2015) Granularity as a qualitative concept for GIR. GIR '15 Proceedings of the 9th Workshop on Geographic Information Retrieval.
- (2015) Everything is Filed under 'File' — Conceptual Challenges in Applying Semantic Search to Network Shares for Collaborative Work. Hypertext'15 Proceedings of the 26th ACM Conference on Hypertext & Social Media.
- (2015) Challenges for Information Access in Multi-Disciplinary Product Design and Engineering Settings. Tenth International Conference on Digital Information Management (ICDIM), 2015.
- (2015) LocWeb 2015. WWW 2015 Companion Proceedings.
- (2015) LocWeb 2015 Chairs' Welcome & Workshop Organization. WWW 2015 Companion Proceedings.
- (2015) Handling shape variations in geographical distance rankings for local news recommendation. GIR '15 Proceedings of the 9th Workshop on Geographic Information Retrieval.
- (2015) Expanding the utility of geospatial knowledge bases by linking concepts to WikiText and to polygonal boundaries. GIR '15 Proceedings of the 9th Workshop on Geographic Information Retrieval.