Background and activities
Espen Storli is associate professor at the Department of Historical Studies at NTNU since 2012. He was educated at the universities of Stavanger, Bergen, York, Valladolid and Trondheim, and finished his PhD at NTNU in 2010. In 2011-2012 he was the Harvard-Newcomen Fellow in Business History at Harvard Business School.
His research interests are mainly found at the intersection between business and politics, with a special interest in the development of international business in the 20th Century. He is now working on the project "The hidden companies of the global economy: the development of international commodity traders, 1945-2015", a project which is funded through Fellesløftet, the Norwegian Research Council and the Norwegian universities' joint funding initiative for Young Research Talents. For more information about the project, see https://www.ntnu.edu/ihs/traders.
Together with Dr. Andrew Perchard (Coventry University) and Dr. Mats Ingulstad (NTNU) he has established the History and Strategic Raw Materials Initiative, an interdisciplinary international network working on questions related to the issue of strategic raw materials. For more information about the initiative, see the project's website: http://www.strath.ac.uk/business/hsrmi. In August 2014, Routledge published Tin and Global Capitalism: A History of "The Devil's Metal", 1850-2000, edited by Ingulstad, Perchard and Storli (hhttp://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415737050/)
In the fall semester of 2015 he will teach the following courses at NTNU: HIST1250: Modern history after 1850, and HIST2625: Democracy and nationalism.
As of 2012 Espen Storli is the editor for book reviews in the Scandinavian Economic History Review. He is a referee for Business History Review, Business History and Journal of International Business Studies.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Dealing with globalization: The Nordic countries and inward FDI, 1900-1939. Business History.
- (2014) Cartel Theory and Cartel Practice: The Case of the International Aluminum Cartels, 1901-1940. Business history review. vol. 88 (3).
- (2013) Big business and small states: Unilever and Norway in the interwar years. Economic history review. vol. 66 (1).
- (2011) Confronting market power : Norway and international cartels and trusts, 1919-39. Scandinavian Economic History Review. vol. 59 (3).
- (2009) The Ups and Downs of Family Life: Det Norske Nitridaktieselskap, 1912-1976. Enterprise & society. vol. 10 (4).
- (2007) Hva ville egentlig Venstre med konsulatsaken?. Historisk Tidsskrift. vol. 86 (2).
- (2007) The Norwegian Aluminium Industry, 1908-1940: Swing Producers in the Hands of the International Oligopoly. Cahiers d'histoire de l'aluminium.
- (2014) Tin and Global Capitalism, 1850-2000: A History of "the Devil's Metal". Routledge. 2014. ISBN 978-0-415-73705-0.
- (2013) Aluminum Ore: The Political Economy of the Global Bauxite Industry. University of British Columbia Press. 2013. ISBN 978-0-7748-2533-7.
Part of book/report
- (2016) Publish or be damned? Early cartel legislation in USA, Germany and Norway, 1890-1940. Regulating Competition. Cartel Registers in the Twentieth Century World.
- (2014) "The Path of Civilization is Paved with Tin Cans": The Political Economy of the Global Tin Industry. Tin and Global Capitalism, 1850-2000: A History of "the Devil's Metal".
- (2014) The Birth of the World's Largest Tin Merchant: Philipp Brothers, Bolivian Tin and American Stockpiles. Tin and Global Capitalism, 1850-2000: A History of "the Devil's Metal".
- (2013) Opening Pandora's Bauxite: A Raw Materials Perspective on Globalization Processes in the Twentieth Century. Aluminum Ore: The Political Economy of the Global Bauxite Industry.
- (2013) The Global Race for Bauxite, 1900-1940. Aluminum Ore: The Political Economy of the Global Bauxite Industry.
- (2012) Trade and Politics: the Western Aluminium Industry in the Soviet Union in the Interwar period. From warfare to welfare : business-government relations in the aluminium industry.
- (2009) Big business, market power and small nations, The Norwegian aluminium and nickel industry 1920-1939. Managing Crises and De-Globalisation, Nordic Trade and Exchange 1919-1939.
- (2008) Marked, kartell og stat: den norske aluminiumsindustrien i mellomkrigstiden. Globalisering gjennom et århundre, Norsk aluminiumsindustri 1908-2008.
- (2007) Seip eller fakta? Unionspolitikkens indrepolitiske og partitaktiske funksjoner på konservativ side i Norge og Sverige i perioden 1890 til 1905. En sann historiker. Festskrift til Svein Henrik Pedersen.
- (2005) "I Diefuelens Vold og tieniste", "Norges første kvinnelige fotturist", "Du rykker stadig fram i køen...". Statsarkivet i Trondheim : dokumentene forteller.
- (2012) Marc Rich and Global Commodity Trading. 2012.