Background and activities
Ph.D. Candidate in Art History, Department of Art and Media Studies. MA in Art History (2008) and BA in culture and social sciences (2006) from the University of Bergen.
- Arte povera
- Modern and contemporary art
- Art theory
- Posthumanism/New Materialism
From earth to ashes… An inquiry into the relationship between the artistic subject and material in the early works of arte povera
The project aims to analyze how the Italian arte povera artists, in their 1967-71 works, experiments with and questions their own position as «originator», and how the materials simultanously comes to occupy a more significant role in the formation of the works.
The tension that thus establishes between artists and materials in the arte povera works will be discussed in light of both traditional aesthetics and new materialism, and be related to the pretentions within posthumanism to level out the hierarchy between subject and object.
The purpose of the study is to add new perspectives to the reception history of arte povera, and to partake in the discussion of fundamental art theoretical conceps like «intentionality» and «origin».
Relevant work experience
- Project leader and editor, Hordaland Art Center’s book series Dublett, 2012-2015
- Editor, Kunst og kultur 2/15, special issue on arte povera
- Member, Norwegian Arts Council Expert comittee of visual arts, 2014-2015
- Lecturer/academic assistant, NTNU 2012
- University lecturer, University of Bergen, 2008-2012
- Freelance writer, critic and curator, 2009-2015