Background and activities
I completed both my studies and PhD in Environmental Engineering at ETH Zürich in Switzerland. During my PhD I focused on developong methodologies for the evaluation of water use related impacts on biodiversity within Life Cycle Assessment (LCA).
After my PhD I was a Postdoc at ETH Zürich and the Radboud University Nijmegen (Netherlands) until I joined the Industrial Ecology Programme at NTNU as an associate professor.
My main research interests are related to quantifying and modelling impacts of anthropogenic activities on ecosystems and biodiversity within an LCA context.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Global guidance on environmental life cycle impact assessment indicators: progress and case study. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment.
- (2016) Impacts from hydropower production on biodiversity in an LCA framework—review and recommendations. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. vol. 21 (3).
- (2016) An allometric approach to quantify the extinction vulnerability of birds and mammals. Ecology. vol. 97 (3).
- (2016) On the suitability of input–output analysis for calculating product-specific biodiversity footprints. Ecological Indicators. vol. 60.
- (2016) Area of concern: a new paradigm in life cycle assessment for the development of footprint metrics. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. vol. 21 (2).
- (2016) Towards a meaningful assessment of marine ecological impacts in life cycle assessment (LCA). Environment International. vol. 89-90.
- (2015) Quantifying Land Use Impacts on Biodiversity: Combining Species–Area Models and Vulnerability Indicators. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 49 (16).
- (2015) Making Sense of the Minefield of Footprint Indicators. Environmental Science and Technology.
- (2015) Harmonizing the Assessment of Biodiversity Effects from Land and Water Use within LCA. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 49 (6).
Part of book/report
- (2016) Water Use Analysis. Sustainability Assessment of Renewables-Based Products: Methods and Case Studies.
- (2015) ReCiPe2015: a Life Cycle Impact Assessment Method at Midpoint and Endpoint Level. Report I: Characterisation Factors. 2015.
- (2016) Prospects by WULCA in the impact modelling of water consumption in LCA. SETAC Europe 26th Annual Meeting . SETAC Europe; Nantes. 2016-05-22 - 2016-05-26.
- (2016) Natural Resources as an Area of Protection in LCA - outcomes of the discussion by the working group on resources within the UNEP-SETAC Life Cycle Initiative. SETAC Europe 26th Annual Meeting . SETAC Europe; Nantes. 2016-05-22 - 2016-05-26.
- (2016) Reaching consensus on cross-cutting issues. SETAC Europe 26th Annual Meeting . SETAC Europe; Nantes. 2016-05-22 - 2016-05-26.
- (2016) Advancing marine impact assessment within life cycle assessment (LCA). SETAC Europe 26th Annual Meeting . SETAC Europe; Nantes. 2016-05-22 - 2016-05-26.
- (2016) Accounting for biodiversity impacts of seabed damage in life cycle assessment. SETAC Europe 26th Annual Meeting . SETAC Europe; Nantes. 2016-05-22 - 2016-05-26.
- (2015) LC-Impact. Special session at ISIE conference . Francesca Verones /ISIE; Guildford. 2015-07-06 - 2015-07-06.
- (2015) Life Cycle Assessment and the Natural Environment: Current Assessment Options and the Way Forward. International Workshop of Area-Capability Enhancement in Coastal Zone . Research Insitute for Humanity and Nature; Kyoto. 2015-12-14 - 2015-12-16.
- (2015) Resource footprints and their ecosystem consequences. Taking Stock of Industrial Ecology - ISIE Conference 2015 . International Society for industrial ecology; Guildford. 2015-07-06 - 2015-07-10.
- (2015) Quantifying the ecosystem impacts of resource footprints. Transformations -11th Annual meeting . European Society for Environmental Economics; Leeds. 2015-06-30 - 2015-07-03.