Background and activities
Fields of interests and present research activities
Frode Seland's research within electrochemistry ranges from fundamental studies of the adsorption and reaction of molecules at electrode surfaces through to development of membrane electrode assemblies for PEM fuel cells. Surface electrochemistry, i.e. how the molecules interact with the surface, plays a central role in his research. The main focus is on the electrooxidation of small organic molecules like formic acid, methanol and ethanol, due to their environmental value (biofuels) and high potential of being a high energy fuel for fuel cells.
The other aspect of Seland's research involves the applied side of fuel cells. Our main activity has been in the field of high temperature PEM fuel cells with focus on PBI (polybenzimidazole) membranes operating up to 200 °C. PBI is a high thermal resistant membrane material that does not depend on water to facilitate proton conduction. At elevated temperatures, the reaction kinetics is improved as well as the tolerance towards CO, which is known to be the main fuel problem at low temperatures.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Carbon-polymer composite coatings for PEM fuel cell bipolar plates. International journal of hydrogen energy. volum 39 (2).
- (2014) Effects of temperature, triazole and hot-pressing on the performance of TiO2 photoanode in a solid-state photoelectrochemical cell. Electrochimica Acta. volum 115.
- (2014) Dynamic electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, for electrocatalytic reactions. Electrochimica Acta. volum 131.
- (2014) Improved catalytic activity of mixed platinum catalysts supported on various carbon nanomaterials. Journal of Power Sources. volum 267.
- (2013) Dynamic electrochemical impedance spectroscopy of Pt/C-based membrane-electrode assemblies subjected to cycling protocols. Journal of Power Sources. volum 242.
- (2013) In Situ and Ex situ Contact Resistance Measurements of Stainless Steel Bipolar Plates for PEM Fuel Cells. ECS Transactions. volum 50 (2).
- (2013) Effect of heat treatment on the electrocatalytic properties of nano-structured Ru cores with Pt shells. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry. volum 704.
- (2013) Composite Thin Film Iridium-Niobium Oxide Electrocatalysts for the Oxygen Evolution Electrode. ECS Transactions. volum 50 (36).
- (2012) Improved electrode systems for reverse electro-dialysis and electro-dialysis. Desalination. volum 285.
- (2012) A Study of Methanol Oxidation by Dynamic Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy. ECS Transactions. volum 41 (21).
- (2012) Kinetic study of CO oxidation on clean and oxidized Pt. Electrochimica Acta. volum 82.
- (2012) The effect of pH and halides on the corrosion process of stainless steel bipolar plates for proton exchange membrane fuel cells. International journal of hydrogen energy. volum 37 (23).
- (2011) High-Temperature Electrochemical Characterization of Ru Core Pt Shell Fuel Cell Catalyst. Fuel Cells. volum 11 (6).
- (2011) CO stripping as an electrochemical tool for characterization of Ru@Pt core-shell catalysts. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry. volum 655 (2).
- (2010) CO-stripping at Ru nanoparticles. ECS Transactions. volum 28 (21).
- (2010) Assessment of Platinum Dissolution from a Pt/C Fuel Cell Catalyst: An Electrochemical Quartz Crystal Microbalance Study. Journal of the Electrochemical Society. volum 157 (5).
- (2010) Increasing and Decreasing Mass Transport Effects in the Oxidation of Small Organic Molecules. ECS Transactions. volum 28 (23).
- (2010) Activating and deactivating mass transport effects in methanol and formic acid oxidation on platinum electrodes. Electrochimica Acta. volum 55 (9).
- (2008) Impedance study of formic acid oxidation on platinum electrodes. Electrochimica Acta. volum 53.
- (2007) Polymer electrolyte fuel cells based on phosphoric acid doped polybenzimidazole (PBI) membranes. Energy. volum 32 (4).