Gabriele LobaccaroPostdoctoral Research Fellow Department of Architectural Design, History and Technology Department of Language and Literature Faculty of Architecture and Fine Art
Background and activities
Formal position and Responsibilities
Gabriele Lobaccaro is Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Faculty of Architecture and Fine Art at NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology. He is a member of Smart Cities@NTNU since 2013 and his main responsibilities are related to research activities on Smart Cities projects developing technical solutions and environmental strategies for urban planning and sustainable architecture.
Field of competence
His research activities are mainly focused on sustainable and smart strategies for cities and neighbourhoods, aiming to develop architectural and urban design solutions for smart, energy-efficient, climate-resilient cities (e.g. EERA Joint Programme Smart Cities, FP7-funded RAMSES «Climate change adaptation, mitigation and sustainable development in cities», CoSSMic «Collaborating Smart Solar-powered Microgrids») and IEA SHC Task 51 «Solar energy in urban planning»). He is a co-leader of the Subtask C «Case studies and action research» within the Solar Heating and Cooling Programme International Energy Agency Task 51 «Solar Energy in Urban Planning».
Gabriele is an architectural engineer working on urban planning strategies, energy building and architectural design decisions support using dynamic simulation tools and conducting environmental climate analyses. He graduated in 2008 in MSc Building Engineering and Architecture at Politecnico di Milano, Italy. He has a PhD in Building Engineering developed partly in Politecnico di Milano and partly in Sydney, Australia, at UNSW University of New South Wales on a topic of «Solar Potential and microscale climate interactions in urban areas». Since 2013 he is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at NTNU.
Distinctions and Awards
ISSNAF/CNI - Italian Scientists and Scholars on North America Foundation - Consiglio Nazionale Ingegneri: Scholarship for an internship at MIT - Massachussetts lnstitute of Technology, Cambridge MA Mobile Experience Laboratory.
His research interests are: Parametric Generative Modeling Design, Smart City, Sustainable Urban Planning, Solar Dynamic Simulation, BiPV, Urban and Building Simulation, Energy Building, Solar Architecture Design, Solar Energy, Solar Potential, Daylighting, Environmental Analysis, Multi-functional Adaptive and Dynamic Façades.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2016) The effect of spatial and temporal randomness of stochastically generated occupancy schedules on the energy performance of a multiresidential building. Energy and Buildings. vol. 127.
- (2016) A Review of Systems and Technologies for Smart Homes and Smart Grids. Energies. vol. 9 (5).
- (2015) Comparative analysis of green actions to improve outdoor thermal comfort inside typical urban street canyons. Urban Climate. vol. 14.
- (2014) Optimization of solar energy potential for buildings in urban areas – a Norwegian case study. Energy Procedia. vol. 58.
- (2014) Solar energy in urban environment: how urban densification affects existing buildings. Energy Procedia. vol. 48.
- (2014) Digital and physical models for the validation of sustainable design strategies. Automation in Construction. vol. 39.
- (2013) Neighbourhood Transformation via Multiscale Urban Optimization. GSTF Journal of Engineering Technology (JET). vol. 2 (1).
- (2012) District Geometry Simulation: A Study for the Optimization of Solar Façades in Urban Canopy Layers. Energy Procedia. vol. 30.
- (2012) SolarPW: A New Solar Design Tool to Exploit Solar Potential in Existing Urban Areas. Energy Procedia. vol. 30.
Part of book/report
- (2014) An interactive workflow for Urban Solar Design approach: a case study of Norway. Proceedings of the 20th Annual International Sustainable Development Research Conference (ISDRC 2014).
- (2014) Green design strategies for urban heat island mitigation in a solar optimized access Eixample via IMM® methodology. World Sustainable Building 2014 Conference.
- (2015) RAMSES Project, Reconciling Adaptation, Mitigation and Sustainable Development for Cities. Strategies, costs and impacts of adaptation to climate change. Funding source: European 7th Framework Programme, grant agreement no: 308497. WP 2: Taxonomy of architecture and infrastructure indicators. Deliverable 2.4 Adaptation measures and corresponding indicators for resilient architecture and infrastructure. 2015.
- (2014) RAMSES WP 2: Taxonomy of architecture and infrastructure indicators, 8 Comparative Case Cities: Gap analysis on resilient architecture and urban design. European Commission. 2014.
- (2014) RAMSES WP 2: Taxonomy of architecture and infrastructure indicators,Bilbao case: Gap analysis on resilient architecture and urban design. European Commission. 2014.
- (2015) Design solutions for Urban Heat Island mitigation in the city of Bilbao - Second part. RAMSES - Presentation at Bilbao Municipality . Tecnalia and Municipality of Bilbao; Bilbao. 2015-12-11.
- (2015) Experiences & examples of simulation exercises with students in Sustainable Architecture. Workshop - JRC NTNU/SJTU . NTNU and SJTU; Shanghai. 2015-01-22.
- (2015) Green actions and design solutions to mitigate heat wave risk in the city of Bilbao. Urban climate seminar . VITO research institute and Belgian urban climate community; Berchem. 2015-12-08.
- (2015) How simulations tools could support urban planning. Public symposium on Solar Energy in Urban Planning . Solar Heating and Cooling - International Energy Agency; Saint Denis - La Reunion. 2015-10-02.
- (2015) Smart Cities Smart Living 2.0. Smart Cities Lecture . Orders of Engineers of Como / Ordine degli Ingegneri di Como; Como. 2015-07-22 - 2015-07-22.
- (2015) Solar rights and shading of solar facades: Comparative cases in Sweden and Norway. Open Symposium on Solar Energy in Urban Planning . NTNU and SHC; Trondheim. 2015-03-20.
- (2015) Summer Course Increasing the solar potential of urban district; building integrated solar energy technology. Bioclimatic design of urban districts. Summer Course "Sustainable Energy in Cities" . NTNU and SJTU; Shanghai. 2015-07-06 - 2015-07-17.
- (2015) Urban environmental analyses for new and existing neighborhoods. SINO-Norwegian Seminar on Zero Emission Buildings/Green Buildings . NTNU and Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology; Xi'an. 2015-11-28 - 2015-11-28.
- (2015) Winter Workshop on "Parametric Modeling & Solar Energy in Urban Planning". Winter Workshop . NTNU, University of La Reunion, ESIROI, SHC; Saint Pierre - La Reunion. 2015-10-05 - 2015-10-09.
- (2015) Solar optimization of housing development. SHC 2015, International Conference on Solar Heating and Cooling for Buildings and Industry . Solar Heating and Cooling - International Energy Agency; Istanbul. 2015-12-02 - 2015-12-04.
- (2014) Optimization of solar energy potential for buildings in urban areas – a Norwegian case study. Renewable Energy Research Conference (RERC) 2014 . Centre for Renewable Energy (SFFE); Oslo. 2014-06-16 - 2014-06-18.
- (2014) A new workflow for Solar Urban Planning - Design and simulation tools for solar architecture. Urban Integration 2014 . COST Action - University of Sheffield; Sheffield. 2014-03-06 - 2014-03-07.
- (2014) An interactive workflow for Urban Solar Design approach: a case study of Norway. 20th Annual International Sustainable Development Research Conference . Norwegian University of Science and Technology; Trondheim. 2014-06-18 - 2014-06-20.
- (2014) Design solutions for Urban Heat Island mitigation in the city of Bilbao. RAMSES - Presentation at Bilbao Municipality . Tecnalia and Municipality of Bilbao; Bilbao. 2014-06-30.
- (2014) Smart Cities - Smart Living. Smart Cities Lecture . Ordine degli Ingegneri di Como; Como. 2014-04-23 - 2014-04-23.
- (2014) Smart cities: how simulation tools and environmental analyses can improve the design strategies for urban developments. ZEB Lunch Lecture . ZEB Center; Trondheim. 2014-08-20 - 2014-08-20.
- (2014) Task 51 “Solar Energy in Urban Planning” Smart cities: how simulation tools and environmental analyses can improve the design strategies for urban developments. Symposium Toronto (Canada) . Ryerson University; Toronto. 2014-09-29 - 2014-09-29.
- (2014) WP 2: Taxonomy of architecture and infrastructure indicators Design solutions for Urban Heat Island mitigation in the city of Bilbao. Plenary meeting with Bilbao Municipality and Tecnalia . Municipality of Bilbao - Tecnalia; Bilbao. 2014-06-30 - 2014-06-30.
- (2014) A digital language for a new Sustainable Urban Planning: design and simulation tools for Solar Architecture. Building Simulation and Optimization, 2014 . University College London - IBPSA England; London. 2014-06-23 - 2014-06-24.
- (2014) Green design strategies for urban heat island mitigation in a solar optimized access Eixample via IMM® methodology. World Sustainable Building 2014 . Green Building Council; Barcellona. 2014-10-28 - 2014-10-30.
- (2013) A design approach for the solar optimization of built volumes: validation on a residential building’s project in a historical district in Milan, Italy. CISBAT 2013 - Cleantech for Smart Cities & Buildings - From nano to urban scale . Solar Energy and Building Physics Laboratory (LESO-PB) EPFL; Lausanne. 2013-09-04 - 2013-09-06.
- (2013) Norwegian University Science and Technology: presentation research and academic activities - PhD on "Solar potential in urban areas and microclimate interactions". MIT - Senseable City Lab . MIT - Senseable City Lab; Boston. 2013-10-29 - 2013-10-29.
- (2013) ZEB Living LAB: architectural integration of PV and ZEB balance & Solar potential in urban areas - Design strategies and use of dynamic simulation tools for solar planning. Seminar om solceller - ZenN . Omsorgsbygg, Oslo kf; Omsorgsbygg, Sommerrogata 1, 0255 Oslo (inng. Inkognitogata). 2013-11-18 - 2013-11-18.
- (2013) Solar energy in urban environment: how urban densification affects existing buildings. SHC 2013, International Conference on Solar Heating and Cooling for Buildings and Industry . International Energy Agency (IEA); Freiburg. 2013-09-23 - 2013-09-25.
- (2013) Solar potential in urban areas: a new approach to solar and sustainable urban planning. Energy Forum - Advanced Building Skins . Economic Forum; Bressanone. 2013-11-05 - 2013-11-06.