Background and activities
I am an Associate Professor in the Department of Language and Literature at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. Before I came to Trondheim, I completed my PhD in History at the University of Cambridge. I am usually the coordinator of the cultural history component of the English degree programme at NTNU and I have taught various undergraduate courses on different aspects of modern British history and culture since 2011. But in 2017-18 I will be on sabbatical leave first at the University of Cambridge and then at the University of Texas, Austin.
- Twentieth and twenty-first century Britain
- British Conservatism
- Radical-right and fascist politics
- British Media (periodical press, newspapers, book publishing, radio and television)
- Britain's relationship with Scandinavia, Europe, and the USA
- British Empire and Commonwealth
I supervise MA dissertations on modern British history and politics (15 of my students have completed their theses since 2012). My students have studied a wide-range of topics, including aspects of politics, international relations, economic ideas and policy, national identity, sport, leisure and tourism, youth cultures, and religion.
I am now writing a monograph on intellectual cultures of Conservatism in Britain, 1924-55, which builds on an article I published in the Historical Journal in 2014. I have also just completed a new journal article on right-wing women's political activism in mid-twentieth century Britain. I am about to start a major comparative and transnational history project on British and Scandinavian Conservative Parties from the 1930s to the 1960s.
I was a founder and the principal organizer of the Twentieth Century History Research Seminar at the Faculty of Humanities during 2015-17. I hope to re-start the seminar after my sabbatical leave.
External Grants, Fellowships, and Awards
Awarded a major research grant from the Research Council of Norway (FRIPRO 'Young Research Talents') to lead a new project titled 'Conservatism at the Crossroads: Conservative thought and the renewal of democratic politics in Britain and Scandinavia, 1930-1963'. The project will be a collaborative one and it will run from 2017 to 2021: http://www.universitetsavisa.no/forskning/2016/12/13/Får-millioner-til-forskning-på-Opera-comique-62268.ece?device=pc
Member of NTNU's 'Outstanding Academic Fellows Programme', 2017-2020: https://www.ntnu.edu/outstanding-academic-fellows-programme
Visiting Scholar at the Faculty of History at the University of Cambridge and Visiting By-Fellow at Churchill College, Cambridge, 2017-2018.
Harry Ransom Center Research Fellowship in the Humanities at the University of Texas, Austin, USA, 2017-2018. The fellowship is supported by the Ben Bradlee Fellowship in Journalism: http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/research/fellowships/recipients/2017/
Nominated for 'The Year's Best Teacher Award' by the students at the Faculty of Humanities at NTNU, 2016.
Churchill Archives By-Fellowship at the University of Cambridge, 2014: https://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/news/2014/jun/30/churchill-archives-centre-fellowship-easter-term/
Winner of the George L. Mosse Prize for the best article published in the Journal of Contemporary History by a previously unpublished author, 2007.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Review of 'Mosley and British Politics 1918–32: Oswald’s Odyssey by David Howell'. English Historical Review. vol. 132 (554).
- (2014) Review of 'Portrait of a Party: The Conservative Party in Britain 1918–1945 by Stuart Ball.'. Twentieth Century British History. vol. 26 (1).
- (2014) The Periodical Press and the Intellectual Culture of Conservatism in Interwar Britain. The Historical Journal. vol. 57 (04).
- (2011) Review of 'Oswald Mosley and the New Party by Matthew Worley.'. Twentieth Century British History. vol. 22 (2).
- (2009) 'The British Movement, Duncan Sandys, and the Politics of Constitutionalism in the 1930s'. Contemporary British History. vol. 23 (4).
- (2007) '"What's the Big Idea?": Oswald Mosley, the British Union of Fascists and Generic Fascism'. Journal of Contemporary History. vol. 42 (3).
Part of book/report
- (2012) Whig Lessons, Conservative Answers: The Literary Adventures of Sir J.A.R. Marriott. Brave New World. Imperial and Democratic Nation-Building in Britain between the Wars.
- (2010) Conservatives, National Politics, and the Challenge to Democracy in Britain, 1931-37 / degree conferred on 23 July 2011. 2010.
- (2017) May kan bli vraket selv om hun vinner valget: Storbritannias statsminister Theresa May risikerer å bli erstattet som partileder på sikt, dersom hun ikke gjør et brakvalg, tror ekspert, Nettavisen. Online [Avis]. 2017-06-07.
- (2017) Valget blir uansett ydmykende for Theresa May, NRK Nyheter (Urix). Oslo, NRK Nyheter (Urix) [Internett]. 2017-06-07.
- (2017) Valget i Storbritannia: Dette tenker briter i Trondheim om valget, Adressa. Trondheim, Adresseavisen [Avis]. 2017-06-07.
- (2017) Vil terroren mobilisere de unge eller eldre ved valget torsdag?. Adresseavisen, Trondheim [Avis]. 2017-06-04.
- (2016) Interviewed about Brexit for NRK Radio P1 Norgesglasset. Trondheim [Radio]. 2016-06-24.
- (2016) Interviewed for the article '14 medlemmer har trukket seg fra Corbyns skyggeregjering: - Jeg har aldri sett sånt kaos. Det går mot nasjonal krise', Aftenposten. Oslo [Avis]. 2016-06-26.
- (2016) Interviewed for the article 'Brexit kan endre Storbritannia' in Adressa. Trondheim [Avis]. 2016-06-24.
- (2015) Recorded interview about modern Britain for the NRK P2 programme Kulturhuset. Oslo [Radio]. 2015-05-06.
- (2013) 'En av Storbritannias aller største ledere. Forsker om Thatcher: En kontroversiell figur', VG. Oslo [Avis]. 2013-04-08.
- (2013) Interview about Britain in the 1930s and the film The King's Speech for the NRK P3 radio programme 'Hallo P3'. Oslo [Radio]. 2013-05-15.
- (2013) 'Margaret Thatcher er død', Aftenbladet. Stavanger [Avis]. 2013-04-08.
- (2013) 'Margareth Thatcher (87) er død', Aftenposten. Oslo [Avis]. 2013-04-08.
- (2013) Radio interview on the question of Scottish Independence. Bergen [Radio]. 2013-02-13.
- (2013) 'Thatcher forandret Storbritannia', Nettavisen. Oslo [Avis]. 2013-04-08.
- (2011) 'Opptøyene sjokkerer briter', http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/utenriks/article1674784.ece. Trondheim [Avis]. 2011-08-09.