Background and activities
I am an Associate Professor of Modern British history in the Department of Language and Literature at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. Before I came to Trondheim, I completed my PhD in History at the University of Cambridge.
I am coordinator of the cultural studies component of the English degree programme at NTNU and I teach two undergraduate courses on different aspects of modern British history. I also supervise a large number of MA dissertations on different aspects of modern British history (14 of my students have successfully completed their theses since 2011).
I have been the principal organizer of the Twentieth Century History Research Seminar at the Faculty of Humanities since 2015.
My main research focusses on the history of British politics, intellectual cultures, and media history in the twentieth century. But I am also interested in Scandinavian and European history more broadly. I am now writing a monograph on intellectual cultures of Conservatism in Britain, c.1918-50s, which builds on an article I published in the Historical Journal in 2014. I am also writing a new journal article on right-wing women's political activism.
External Funding, Fellowships, and Awards
Awarded a major research grant from the Research Council of Norway (FRIPRO 'Young Research Talents') to lead a new project titled 'Conservatism at the Crossroads: Conservative thought and the renewal of democratic politics in Britain and Scandinavia, 1930-1963'. The project will be a collaborative one and it will run from 2017 to 2021.
Member of NTNU's 'Outstanding Academic Fellows Programme', 2017-2020.
Visiting Scholar at the Faculty of History at the University of Cambridge and Visiting By-Fellow at Churchill College, Cambridge, 2017-2018.
Harry Ransom Center Research Fellowship in the Humanities at the University of Texas, Austin, USA, 2017-2018. The fellowship is supported by the Ben Bradlee Fellowship in Journalism.
Nominated for 'The Year's Best Teacher Award' by the students at the Faculty of Humanities at NTNU, 2016.
Churchill Archives By-Fellowship at the University of Cambridge, 2014.
Winner of the George L. Mosse Prize for the best article published in the Journal of Contemporary History by a previously unpublished author, 2007.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Review of 'Mosley and British Politics 1918–32: Oswald’s Odyssey by David Howell'. English Historical Review.
- (2014) Review of 'Portrait of a Party: The Conservative Party in Britain 1918–1945 by Stuart Ball.'. Twentieth Century British History. vol. 26 (1).
- (2014) The Periodical Press and the Intellectual Culture of Conservatism in Interwar Britain. The Historical Journal. vol. 57 (04).
- (2011) Review of 'Oswald Mosley and the New Party by Matthew Worley.'. Twentieth Century British History. vol. 22 (2).
- (2009) 'The British Movement, Duncan Sandys, and the Politics of Constitutionalism in the 1930s'. Contemporary British History. vol. 23 (4).
- (2007) '"What's the Big Idea?": Oswald Mosley, the British Union of Fascists and Generic Fascism'. Journal of Contemporary History. vol. 42 (3).
Part of book/report
- (2012) Whig Lessons, Conservative Answers: The Literary Adventures of Sir J.A.R. Marriott. Brave New World. Imperial and Democratic Nation-Building in Britain between the Wars.
- (2010) Conservatives, National Politics, and the Challenge to Democracy in Britain, 1931-37 / degree conferred on 23 July 2011. 2010.
- (2016) Interviewed about Brexit for NRK Radio P1 Norgesglasset. Trondheim [Radio]. 2016-06-24.
- (2016) Interviewed for the article '14 medlemmer har trukket seg fra Corbyns skyggeregjering: - Jeg har aldri sett sånt kaos. Det går mot nasjonal krise', Aftenposten. Oslo [Avis]. 2016-06-26.
- (2016) Interviewed for the article 'Brexit kan endre Storbritannia' in Adressa. Trondheim [Avis]. 2016-06-24.
- (2015) Recorded interview about modern Britain for the NRK P2 programme Kulturhuset. Oslo [Radio]. 2015-05-06.
- (2013) 'En av Storbritannias aller største ledere. Forsker om Thatcher: En kontroversiell figur', VG. Oslo [Avis]. 2013-04-08.
- (2013) Interview about Britain in the 1930s and the film The King's Speech for the NRK P3 radio programme 'Hallo P3'. Oslo [Radio]. 2013-05-15.
- (2013) 'Margareth Thatcher (87) er død', Aftenposten. Oslo [Avis]. 2013-04-08.