Background and activities
I am an Associate Professor of modern British history. I am particularly interested in the history of British politics, intellectual cultures, and media history during the twentieth century. My current research focuses on the history of British Conservative politics and political writing, c.1918-50s. I have also done some work on British and European fascism. In the future I plan to develop a larger project comparing Conservative parties and political ideas in twentieth century Britain and Scandinavia.
I am from Stockton-on-Tees in the north-east of England. I studied an MA in Historical Studies at the University of Hull, a diploma in European Studies at the University of Vienna, and a PhD in History at the University of Cambridge. I also spent a year teaching for the British Council in Vienna, Austria. Before joining NTNU as an Associate Professor in British History I taught history at Cardiff University in Wales. I was also a Churchill Archives Centre By-Fellow at Churchill College, Cambridge in 2014, and, I will be a Visiting Scholar at the University of Cambridge while I am on sabbatical leave during the 2017-18 academic year.
I offer the following undergraduate courses at NTNU.
ENG2452 Britain in Europe
ENG1402 Modern British History and Culture
I am happy to discuss proposals for Master's & PhD supervision in most areas of twentieth century British history. I am also interested in comparative studies of Britain and other European countries.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Review of 'Portrait of a Party: The Conservative Party in Britain 1918–1945 by Stuart Ball.'. Twentieth Century British History. vol. 26 (1).
- (2014) The Periodical Press and the Intellectual Culture of Conservatism in Interwar Britain. The Historical Journal. vol. 57 (04).
- (2011) Review of 'Oswald Mosley and the New Party by Matthew Worley.'. Twentieth Century British History. vol. 22 (2).
- (2009) 'The British Movement, Duncan Sandys, and the Politics of Constitutionalism in the 1930s'. Contemporary British History. vol. 23 (4).
- (2007) '"What's the Big Idea?": Oswald Mosley, the British Union of Fascists and Generic Fascism'. Journal of Contemporary History. vol. 42 (3).
Part of book/report
- (2012) Whig Lessons, Conservative Answers: The Literary Adventures of Sir J.A.R. Marriott. Brave New World. Imperial and Democratic Nation-Building in Britain between the Wars.
- (2010) Conservatives, National Politics, and the Challenge to Democracy in Britain, 1931-37 / degree conferred on 23 July 2011. 2010.
- (2016) Interviewed about Brexit for NRK Radio P1 Norgesglasset. Trondheim [Radio]. 2016-06-24.
- (2016) Interviewed for the article '14 medlemmer har trukket seg fra Corbyns skyggeregjering: - Jeg har aldri sett sånt kaos. Det går mot nasjonal krise', Aftenposten. Oslo [Avis]. 2016-06-26.
- (2016) Interviewed for the article 'Brexit kan endre Storbritannia' in Adressa. Trondheim [Avis]. 2016-06-24.
- (2015) Recorded interview about modern Britain for the NRK P2 programme Kulturhuset. Oslo [Radio]. 2015-05-06.
- (2013) 'En av Storbritannias aller største ledere. Forsker om Thatcher: En kontroversiell figur', VG. Oslo [Avis]. 2013-04-08.
- (2013) Interview about Britain in the 1930s and the film The King's Speech for the NRK P3 radio programme 'Hallo P3'. Oslo [Radio]. 2013-05-15.
- (2013) 'Margareth Thatcher (87) er død', Aftenposten. Oslo [Avis]. 2013-04-08.