Background and activities
Geir Bråthen graduated from the University of Bergen in 1990 and took his Ph.D (dr.med.) at NTNU in 2001 with the dissertation "The classification and clinical diagnosis of alcohol-related seizures". He worked as a lecturer in Neurosurgery 1997-2000 and thereafter as lecturer and senior consultant of Neurology. He is Head of the Dept. of Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology since 2007. His main research topics are within epileptology, substance abuse related neurological conditions, and in recent years, dementia.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Alpha-synuclein measured in cerebrospinal fluid from patients with Alzheimer's disease, mild cognitive impairment, or healthy controls: a two year follow-up study. BMC Neurology. vol. 16 (180).
- (2016) Treatment non-adherence in pseudo-refractory epilepsy. Epilepsy Research. vol. 122.
- (2016) Revised Guideline - Alcohol Withdrawal Seizures. 2nd Congress of the European Academy of Neurology . European Academy of Neurology; København. 2016-05-28 - 2016-05-31.
- (2016) Treadmill Training or Progressive Strength Training to Improve Walking in People with Multiple Sclerosis? A Randomized Parallel Group Trial. Physiotherapy Research International. vol. 21 (4).
- (2016) Facial dystonia with facial grimacing and vertical gaze palsy with “Round the Houses” sign in a 29-year-old woman. Neuro-ophthalmology (Aeolus Press. 1980). vol. 40 (1).
- (2016) Alcohol withdrawal syndrome: mechanisms, manifestations, and management. Acta Neurologica Scandinavica. vol. 135 (1).
- (2016) Cerebrospinal Fluid Levels of Amyloid Beta 1-43 in Patients with Amnestic Mild Cognitive Impairment or Early Alzheimer's Disease: A 2-Year Follow-Up Study. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience. vol. 8.
- (2016) The impact of sleep loss on the facilitation of seizures: A prospective case-crossover study. Epilepsy Research. vol. 127.
- (2016) Development of personalized cell-based therapies for the treatment of Parkinson´s disease patients. The 4th National PhD Conference in Neuroscience . NRSN; Hurdal. 2016-09-21 - 2016-09-23.
- (2015) Effect of tween-20 on core biomarkers measured in cerebrospinal fluid from patients with Alzheimer's disease, mild cognitive impairment, or healthy control individuals. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease. vol. 49 (2).
- (2015) Førlighet, semantikk og akuttnevrologi. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. vol. 136.
- (2015) In response: Nonadherence to treatment causing acute hospitalizations in people with epilepsy: An observational, prospective study. Epilepsia. vol. 56 (2).
- (2014) Rusmiddelrelaterte nevrologiske sykdommer. Nevrologi og nevrokirurgi fra barn til voksen, 6.utgave.
- (2014) Nonadherence to treatment causing acute hospitalizations in people with epilepsy: An observational, prospective study. Epilepsia. vol. 55 (11).
- (2013) Alcohol withdrawal seizures.
- (2013) Is dietary caffeine involved in seizure precipitation?. Epilepsy & Behavior. vol. 28 (2).
- (2012) Non-arteritisk sentralarterieokklusjon (CRAO). Oftalmolog. vol. 32 (2).
- (2012) Effect of Tween-20 on levels of core biomarkers measured in human cerebrospinal fluid from patients with Alzheimer's disease or healthy control individuals. AAIC ; 2012-07-15 - 2012-07-17.
- (2012) Diagnosis and management of alcohol-related seizures: EFNS Guideline. 51. Jahresttagung der Deutschen gesellshaft für Epileptologie . Deutsche Gesellshaft für Epilepsie; Stuttgart. 2012-02-29 - 2012-02-29.
- (2012) Late onset myasthenia gravis is associated with HLA DRB1*15:01 in the Norwegian population. PLoS ONE. vol. 7 (5).
- (2012) Changes in core biomarkers in cerebrospinal fluid and cognitive ability in patients with Alzheimer’s disease: a two-year longitudinal study. AAIC ; Vancouver. 2012-07-15 - 2012-07-17.
- (2011) Lamotrigine and its N2-glucuronide during pregnancy: The significance of renal clearance and estradiol. Epilepsy Research. vol. 94 (3).
- (2010) Alkoholrelaterte nevrologiske sydkommer. Nevrologi og nevrokirurgi. Fra barn til voksen. 5.utgave.
- (2010) EFNS guidelines for diagnosis, therapy and prevention of Wernicke encephalopathy. European Journal of Neurology. vol. 17 (12).
- (2010) The validity of questionnaire-based diagnoses: the third Nord-Trøndelag Health study 2006-2008. The Journal of Headache and Pain. vol. 11 (1).
- (2010) The EEG response to photic stimulation is not increased in alcohol-related seizures. Clinical Neurophysiology. vol. 121 (11).
- (2010) Quantitative EEG in Patients With Alcohol-Related Seizures. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. vol. 34 (10).
- (2009) Symptoms of epilepsy and organic brain dysfunctions in patients with acute, brief depression combined with other fluctuating psychiatric symptoms: a controlled study from an acute psychiatric department. BMC Psychiatry. vol. 9.
- (2008) Quantitative EEG findings in patients with acute, brief depression combined with other fluctuating psychiatric symptoms: a controlled study from an acute psychiatric department. BMC Psychiatry. vol. 8 (89).
- (2008) A face-to-face interview of participants in HUNT 3: the impact of the screening question on headache prevalence. The Journal of Headache and Pain. vol. 9 (5).
- (2007) Alkoholrelaterte nevrologiske sykdommer. Nevrologi og nevrokirurgi fra barn til voksen.
- (2007) Treatment policies for alcohol-related seizures. A survey of European neurologists. European Journal of Neurology. vol. 14 (3).
- (2006) Headache prevalence related to smoking and alcohol use. The Head-HUNT Study. European Journal of Neurology. vol. 13.
- (2006) Alcohol-related seizures. European Handbook of Neurological Management.
- (2005) Pharmacotherapy for preventing alcohol withdrawal seizures. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.
- (2005) Tobacco and alcohol use in relation to headache. The Head-HUNT study. Cephalalgia. vol. 25.
- (2005) A structured, nurse-led intervention program improves quality of life in patients with epilepsy: A ramdomized, controlled trial. Epilepsy & Behavior. vol. 7.
- (2004) Lettlest om epilepsi. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. vol. 124.
- (2004) Tidlig diagnose og behandling ved alkoholisk nerveskade. Aplfs, Kurs for allmennpraktiserende leger.
- (2004) Carbohydrate-deficient transferrin is increased by the enzyme-inducing antibiotic rifampicin. ISAM ; 2004-06-04.
- (2004) A Structured nurse intervention programme improves quality of life in patients with epilepsy. A randomised controlled study. Epilepsia. vol. 45.
- (2004) A structured nurse intervention programme imporves qualtity of life in patients with epilepsy. A randomised controlled trial. American Epilepsy Society ; 2004-12-15.
- (2004) Uenighet om epilepsi og bilkjøring. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening.
- (2003) Alkohol og epilepsi. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. vol. 123 (11).
- (2003) Epilepsy, seizures and alcohol use. Review Series: Neurology.
- (2003) An easily performed group education programme for patients with uncontrolled epilepsy - a pilot study. Seizure. vol. 12 (7).
- (2002) Clinical utility of EEG in alcohol-related seizures. Acta Neurologica Scandinavica. vol. 105.
- (2001) The classification and clinical diagnosis of alcohol-related seizures. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2001.
- (2001) Detection of Alcohol Abuse in Neurological Patients: Variables of Clinical Relevance to the Accuracy of the %CDT-TIA and CDTect Methods. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. vol. 25 (1).
- (2000) Validity of carbohydrate deficient transferrin and other markers as diagnostic aids in the detection of alcohol related seizures. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry. vol. 68 (3).
- (2000) Alkoholrelaterte nevrologiske sykdommer. Nevrologi - fra barn til voksen.
- (2000) Weekday distribution of alcohol consumption in Norway: Influence on the occurrence of epileptic seizures and stroke?. European Journal of Neurology.
- (2000) Akutt hodepine - ikke bare subaraknoidalblødning. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. vol. 29.
- (1999) Neurologi eller Nevrologi?. Axonet.
- (1999) The diversity of seizures related to alcohol use. A study of consecutive patients. European Journal of Neurology. vol. 6.