Background and activities
Geir K Hansen is professor in Architectural and Facilities Management at the Department of Architectural Design and Management, Faculty of Architecture and Fine Art, NTNU. He is also leader of two master programs in Real Estate and Facilities Management at NTNU. He graduated as an architect from the Faculty of Architecture at the Norwegian Technical University, 1987.
His main field of research is programming, evaluation of processes and buildings, and usability of buildings related to an user and organizational perspective where theory, methods and tools are developed through several projects and case studies. Hansen has previously worked with topics like adaptability and flexibility, new use and transformation of existing buildings and run several architectural design courses on this.
Hansen has been an active member of CiB work group W96 Architectural Management, CiB W70 Facilities Management and will from June 2013 be chair of CiBW111 Usability of Buildings. He has been scientific member of the steering committee for Center for Facilities Management at Denmark Technical University from 2009 - 2013.
He has published a number of scientific papers and articles on usability, adaptability, flexibility in projects and processes and been reviewer for several papers and articles.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Building design management - key success factors. Architectural Engineering and Design Management.
- (2016) Make it work! Creating an integrated workplace concept. Journal of Corporate Real Estate. vol. 18 (1).
- (2015) A Motherless Child – Why do Construction Projects Fail. Procedia Economics and Finance. vol. 21.
- (2011) Layered Project - Layered Process: Lean Thinking and Flexible Solutions. Architectural Engineering and Design Management. vol. 7 (2).
- (2010) Identification of Critical Factors Affecting Flexibility in Hospital Construction Projects. Health Environments Research & Design Journal. vol. 3 (2).
- (2012) Rom for barnehage : flerfaglige perspektiver på barnehagens fysiske miljø. Fagbokforlaget. 2012. ISBN 978-82-450-1126-5.
- (2011) USEtool. Evaluating Usability. Methods Handbook. 2011. ISBN 978-82-7551-071-4.
- (2010) USEtool. Evaluering av brukskvalitet. Metodehåndsbok. 2010. ISBN 978-82-536-1131-0.
Part of book/report
- (2017) Adaptability. Facilities Management and Corporate Real Estate Management as Value Drivers - How to manage and measure adding value.
- (2017) Learning Across Disciplines - Use of the Constant Comparative Method. Proceedings of the 9th Nordic Conference on Construction Economics and Organization.
- (2017) Stakeholder perspectives and information exchange in AEC projects. Integrating information in built environments - from concept to practice.
- (2016) Improving Design Management with Mutual Assessment. Proceedings of the 24th Annual Conference of the International Group for Lean Construction..
- (2016) Design Management - Learning Across Trades. WBC16 Proceedings: Volume 1 Creating Built Environments of New Opportunities.
- (2015) Organizational Power in Building Design Management. Global Problems - Global Solutions. Proceedings IGLC 2015 Perth Australia.
- (2013) Usability: Managing facilities for social outcomes. Proceedings of the 19th CIB World Building Congress, Brisbane 2013: Construction and Society.
- (2012) Can Usability Evaluations drive Innovation. DELIVERING VALUE TO THE COMMUNITY - Proceedings of the Cape Town 2012 Joint CIB W070, W092 & TG72 International Conference, held at the Graduate School of Business, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town, South Africa.
- (2012) Overview and Status of FM Research for Practice in Norway. Facilities Management Research in the Nordic Countries. Past, Present and Future.
- (2012) Partnerships in FM. Chapter introduction. Facilities Management Research in the Nordic Countries. Past, Present and Future.
- (2012) Usability Reviewed: Summing up Norwegian research on Usability. Facilities Management Research in the Nordic Countries. Past, Present and Future.
- (2012) De fysiske omgivelsenes betydning for barnehagens kvalitet. Rom for barnehage : flerfaglige perspektiver på barnehagens fysiske miljø.