Background and activities
Master of science (sivilingeniør) in electric power engineering, NTH 1984. PhD (doctor ingeniør) in electric power engineering, NTNU 1996. Diploma in the Theory and Practice of Teaching, NTH 1986.
Gerd Kjølle's main position is at SINTEF Energy Research, Department of Energy Systems as Chief Scientist .
Responsible for the PhD course ET8207 Power system reliability
- Power system planning, life cycle costs, technical-economic optimization
- Reliability and security of electricity supply
- Reliability analysis of power systems
- Fault and interruption statistics and reliability data modelling
- Interruption cost assessment
- Risk and vulnerability analysis of power systems
- The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Senior Member
- The International Council of Large Electric Systems (CIGRE), member
- Study committee member of CIGRE SC C6 Distribution Systems and Dispersed Generation, 2008 – present
- European Safety and Reliability Association, Norwegian section
- The Norwegian Society of Chartered Technical and Scientific Professionals (Tekna)
- Norwegian Electrotechnical Association (NEF)
- Member (employee-elected) of SINTEF Energy Research Board of Directors 2006 – 2012
- Member of Trondheim Energi Nett Board of Directors 2003 – 2010
- Member of expert committee on power system operation, appointed by the Norwegian Ministry of Petroleum and Energy, 2010
- Member of the International Technical Committee for IEEE Powertech Trondheim 2011 and Eindhoven 2015
- Member of the International Technical Advisory Committee for PMAPS (International conference on probabilistic methods applied to power systems) 2010, 2012, 2014
- Member of work programme committee for the research programme Societal security, Research council of Norway, 2012
- Member of the scientific committee for the Society for Risk Analysis-Europe (SRAE) conference 2013
- Member of national scientific committee for publication channels within electrical engineering.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Scenario Selection in Composite Reliability Assessment of Deregulated Power Systems. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. volum 63 (Dec).
- (2012) Risk analysis of critical infrastructures emphasizing electricity supply and interdependencies. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. volum 105 (Sept).
- (2011) Indicators to monitor and manage electricity distribution system vulnerabilty. CIRED Conference Proceedings.
- (2010) Integrated approach for security of electricity supply analysis. International Journal of Systems Assurance Engineering and Management. volum 1 (2).
- (2008) Customer costs related to interruptions and voltage problems: Methodology and results. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. volum 23 (3).
- (2006) Vulnerability analysis of the Nordic power system. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. volum 21 (1).
- (2003) Quality of supply management by means of interruption statistics and voltage quality measurements. European transactions on electrical power. volum 13 (6).
- (2001) Reliability of protection and control equipment in the context of compensation for power supply interruptions. IEE Conferance publication.
- (1998) Reliablility and interruption cost prediction using time-dependent failure rates and interruption costs. Quality and Reliability Engineering International.
Part of book/report
- (2014) Reliability-Centric Studies in Smart Grids: Adequacy and Vulnerability Considerations. Reliability Modeling and Analysis of Smart Power Systems.
- (2013) An Integrated Framework for Power and ICT System Risk-based Security Assessment. 2013 IEEE Grenoble PowerTech.
- (2013) Developing indicators for monitoring vulnerability of power lines - case studies. CIRED 2013 Electricity Distribution Systems for a Sustainable Future.
- (2013) Scenario Selection by Unsupervised Learning in Reliability Analysis of Transmission Networks. 2013 IEEE Grenoble PowerTech.
- (2013) The Important Role of Feature Selection when Clustering Load and Generation Scenarios. The 5th IEEE PES Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference, Hong-Kong, December 2013.
- (2013) Major storms - main causes, consequences and crisis management. CIRED 2013 Electricity Distribution Systems for a Sustainable Future.
- (2013) Potential for improved reliability and reduced interruption costs utilizing smart grid technologies. CIRED 2013 Electricity Distribution Systems for a Sustainable Future.
- (2013) Towards improved understanding and holistic management of the cyber security challanges in power transmission systems. Availability, Reliability, and Security in Information Systems and HCI : IFIP WG 8.4, 8.9, TC 5 International Cross-Domain Conference, CD-ARES 2013, Regensburg, Germany, September 2-6, 2013. Proceedings.
- (2013) Dependability and Security-based Failure Considerations in Protection System Reliability Studies. 2013 4th IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Europe (ISGT Europe, Lyngby, 6-9 Oct. 2013.
- (2012) Reliability assessment of DC wind farms. Power and Energy Society General Meeting, 2012 IEEE.
- (2012) Risk of Electricity Supply Interruptions. Risk and Interdependencies in Critical Infrastructures. A Guideline for Analysis..