Background and activities
Harald Ellingsen has been the Head of the Department of Marine Technology since August 1, 2009. He is a professor in Fisheries and Aquaculture.
Main fields of competence
- Development of energy efficient and environmental friendly fishing gear, fishing vessels and fleet structures.
- Development of tools and strategies for environmental analyses of sea food chains including carbon footprint analyses.
- Senior Researcher. Manager for several research programs and projects. SINTEF Fisheries and Aquaculture (1999-2005)
- Senior Researcher, Section Head Hydrodynamic Research. MARINTEK, Trondheim (1993-1999)
- Marketing Manager (offshore design consulting company). Industrikonsult Trondheim AS (1992-1993)
- Manager (ship/offshore consulting company). Trondheim Engineering AS (1990-1992)
- Involved in various offshore development projects. Aker Engineering Oslo (1983-1990) (1985/86; engaged by the Norwegian Shipowners Association, Oslo)
For more information, see Harald Ellingsen’s CV to the left under contact information.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Investigation of a self-submersible SPM cage system in random waves. Aquacultural Engineering. volum 58.
- (2013) Systems engineering as a holistic approach to life cycle designs. Ocean Engineering. volum 62.
- (2013) Design theory in offshore fish cage designing. Aquaculture. volum 392.
- (2013) The Carbon Footprint of Norwegian Seafood Products on the Global Seafood Market. Journal of Industrial Ecology. volum 17 (1).
- (2012) Numerical simulation of a self-submersible SPM cage system in regular waves with following currents. Aquacultural Engineering. volum 54.
- (2012) Designing Offshore Fish Cages Using Systems Engineering Principles. Systems Engineering. volum 15 (4).
- (2009) Environmental analysis of the Norwegian Fishery and Aquaculture Industry - a preliminary study focusing on farmed salmon. Marine Policy. volum 33 (3).
- (2009) Environmental analysis of the Norwegian fishery and aquaculture industry - a preliminary study focusing on farmed salmon. Marine Policy. volum 33 (3).
- (2009) Energy consumption in the Norwegian fisheries. Journal of Cleaner Production. volum 17 (3).
- (2006) Use of LCA to analyse environmental impacts from commercial fisheries. ICES Marine Science Symposia.
- (2006) Environmental Impacts of Wild Coaught Cod and Farmed Salmon - A Comparison with Chichen. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. volum 11 (1).
- (2005) Designing for environmental efficiency in fishing vessels. Journal of marine design and operations : Part B: Proceedings of the IMarEST.
- (2008) Modernization of fisheries technology to cope with challenges and profitability. 2008. ISBN 978-82-997380-1-9.
Part of book/report
- (2014) A Bond Graph Approach to Improve the Energy Efficiency of Ships. ASME 2014 33rd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering- Volume 8B: Ocean Engineering.
- (2013) Self-Submersible SPM Cage Simulation in Regular Waves With Oblique Currents. ASME 2013 32nd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering.
- (2012) An Optimum design concept for offshore cage culture. 2012 Proceedings of the ASME 31st International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (OMAE2012): Volume 7.
- (2008) Forprosjekt - Miljøregnskap for fiskeri- og havbruksnæringen i Norge. 2008. ISBN 978-82-14-04340-2.