Postal addressDepartment of Marine Technology Norwegian University of Science and Technology 7491 Trondheim Norway
Background and activities
Harald Ellingsen has been the Head of the Department of Marine Technology since August 1, 2009. He is a professor in Fisheries and Aquaculture.
Main fields of competence
- Development of energy efficient and environmental friendly fishing gear, fishing vessels and fleet structures.
- Development of tools and strategies for environmental analyses of sea food chains including carbon footprint analyses.
- Senior Researcher. Manager for several research programs and projects. SINTEF Fisheries and Aquaculture (1999-2005)
- Senior Researcher, Section Head Hydrodynamic Research. MARINTEK, Trondheim (1993-1999)
- Marketing Manager (offshore design consulting company). Industrikonsult Trondheim AS (1992-1993)
- Manager (ship/offshore consulting company). Trondheim Engineering AS (1990-1992)
- Involved in various offshore development projects. Aker Engineering Oslo (1983-1990) (1985/86; engaged by the Norwegian Shipowners Association, Oslo)
For more information, see Harald Ellingsen’s CV to the left under contact information.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Investigation of a self-submersible SPM cage system in random waves. Aquacultural Engineering. volum 58.
- (2013) Systems engineering as a holistic approach to life cycle designs. Ocean Engineering. volum 62.
- (2013) Design theory in offshore fish cage designing. Aquaculture. volum 392.
- (2013) The Carbon Footprint of Norwegian Seafood Products on the Global Seafood Market. Journal of Industrial Ecology. volum 17 (1).
- (2012) Numerical simulation of a self-submersible SPM cage system in regular waves with following currents. Aquacultural Engineering. volum 54.
- (2012) Designing Offshore Fish Cages Using Systems Engineering Principles. Systems Engineering. volum 15 (4).
- (2009) Environmental analysis of the Norwegian Fishery and Aquaculture Industry - a preliminary study focusing on farmed salmon. Marine Policy. volum 33 (3).
- (2009) Environmental analysis of the Norwegian fishery and aquaculture industry - a preliminary study focusing on farmed salmon. Marine Policy. volum 33 (3).
- (2009) Energy consumption in the Norwegian fisheries. Journal of Cleaner Production. volum 17 (3).
- (2006) Use of LCA to analyse environmental impacts from commercial fisheries. ICES Marine Science Symposia.
- (2006) Environmental Impacts of Wild Coaught Cod and Farmed Salmon - A Comparison with Chichen. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. volum 11 (1).
- (2005) Designing for environmental efficiency in fishing vessels. Journal of marine design and operations : Part B: Proceedings of the IMarEST.
- (2008) Modernization of fisheries technology to cope with challenges and profitability. 2008. ISBN 978-82-997380-1-9.
Part of book/report
- (2014) A Bond Graph Approach to Improve the Energy Efficiency of Ships. ASME 2014 33rd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering- Volume 8B: Ocean Engineering.
- (2013) Self-Submersible SPM Cage Simulation in Regular Waves With Oblique Currents. ASME 2013 32nd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering.
- (2012) An Optimum design concept for offshore cage culture. 2012 Proceedings of the ASME 31st International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (OMAE2012): Volume 7.
- (2008) Forprosjekt - Miljøregnskap for fiskeri- og havbruksnæringen i Norge. 2008. ISBN 978-82-14-04340-2.