Background and activities
Director NTNU Ocean Science and Technology,
Professor Department of Marine Technology
Current research activities:
Project manager Next Generation Subsea Inspection, Maintenance and Repair Operations (NextGenIMR) (2014-17)
Partner i EU ECSEL JU Smart networking Underwater Robots in Cooperation SWARMS (2015-18)
Prosjekt leader Safety, risk and autonomy in subsea intervention in AMOS (2013-18)
Main supervisor for PhD students: Ole A. Eidsvik, Bård B. Stovner, Erlend K. Jørgensen
Research Manager SINTEF IKT (2002-2013)
Research Scientist SINTEF Energi (1997-2002)
Head of ROBOTNOR at NTNU/SINTEF (2007-2014 )
Operating Agent Small scale hydrogen reforming, IEA - Hydrogen Implementing Agreement (2006-2013)
Board member Maskon (2009-2013)
Research activities in automation, robotics and applied in oil and gas, manufacturing, hydrogen production and aquaculture.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Outlier rejection in underwater acoustic position measurements based on prediction errors. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (2).
- (2015) Towards autonomy in ROV operations. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (2).
- (2015) On the need for online decision support in FPSO-shuttle tanker collision risk reduction. Ocean Engineering. vol. 101.
- (2014) Path Following of Underactuated Marine Surface Vessels in the Presence of Unknown Ocean Currents. American Control Conference (ACC).
- (2012) Towards the Integration of Process and Quality Control using Multi-agent Technology. IEEE Industrial Electronics Society. Annual Conference. Proceedings.
- (2012) On the Boundedness Property of the Inertia Matrix and Skew-Symmetric Property of the Coriolis Matrix for Vehicle-Manipulator Systems. Journal of Dynamic Systems Measurement, and Control. vol. 134 (4).
- (2012) Development of Robotic Solutions for Oil/Gas, Aluminum and Manufacturing Industry. IEEE Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation.
- (2012) Small scale reformers for on-site hydrogen supply. Energy Procedia. vol. 29.
- (2011) Learning Intelligent Controllers for Path-following Skills on Snake-like Robots. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 7102.
- (2010) On the Boundedness and Skew-Symmetric Properties of the Inertia and Coriolis Matrices for Vehicle-Manipulator Systems. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.
- (2008) Security and tolerable risk for hydrogen service stations. Technology in society. vol. 30.
- (1996) Lateral Motion Control of an Underwater Thruster Module Suspended to a Surface Vessel by a Slender Marine Structure. International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering. vol. 6 (4).
Part of book/report
- (2015) Exposed aquaculture in Norway: Technologies for robust operations in rough conditions. OCEANS'15 MTS/IEEE Washington, Washington DC, 19-22 October, 2015.
- (2015) Applicability of current remotely operated vehicle standards and guidelines to autonomous subsea IMR operations. Proceedings ASME 2015 34th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering Volume 7: Ocean Engineering.
- (2015) Application of fuzzy logic for safe autonomous subsea IMR operations. Safety and Reliability of Complex Engineered Systems.
- (2015) A Risk Management Framework for Unmanned Underwater Vehicles Focusing on Human and Organizational Factors. ASME 2015 34th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering Volume 3: Structures, Safety and Reliability.
- (2015) Risk modeling of autonomous underwater vehicle operation focusing on the human operator. Safety and Reliability of Complex Engineered Systems.
- (2015) Reducing risk to aquaculture workers by autonomous systems and operations. Safety and Reliability of Complex Engineered Systems.
- (2014) Path Following of Underactuated Marine Underwater Vehicles in the Presence of Unknown Ocean Currents. 33rd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering Volume 7: Ocean Space Utilization; Professor Emeritus J. Randolph Paulling Honoring Symposium on Ocean Technology.
- (2014) A Systematic Approach to Risk Assessment: Focusing on Autonomous Underwater Vehicles and Operations in Arctic Areas. ASME 2014 33rd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering Volume 10: Polar and Arctic Science and Technology San Francisco, California, USA, June 8–13, 2014.