Background and activities
2013-14 Director Centre for autonomous marine operations and systems
2002-13 Research Manager SINTEF ICT
1997-02 Research Scientist SINTEF Energy
1996 PhD in Engineering Cybernetics NTNU
1992-93 Research fellow, CERN, Geneva, Switzerland
1991 MSc in Engineering Cybernetics NTNU
2016- Board of directors NTNU Technology Transfer AS
2015 - Board of directors WaterLinked AS
2014-16 Board of directors Inventas AS
2009-13 Board of directors Maskon AS
2007-14 Head of ROBOTNOR at NTNU/SINTEF
2006-13 Operating Agent Small scale hydrogen reforming, IEA - Hydrogen Implementing Agreement
Ongoing research activities:
Focus on automation and robotics in oil and gas, manufacturing, hydrogen production and aquaculture.
Next Generation Subsea Inspection, Maintenance and Repair Operations (NextGenIMR) (2014-17)
EU ECSEL JU Smart networking Underwater Robots in Cooperation SWARMS (2015-18)
Main supervisor for PhD students:
Member of steering committees:
Maritime21, Ocean School of Innovation, Ocean Week, Arven etter Nansen, SFF CAGE, SFI Smart Maritime, Artic Frontiers
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Outlier rejection in underwater acoustic position measurements based on prediction errors. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (2).
- (2015) Towards autonomy in ROV operations. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (2).
- (2015) On the need for online decision support in FPSO-shuttle tanker collision risk reduction. Ocean Engineering. vol. 101.
- (2014) Path Following of Underactuated Marine Surface Vessels in the Presence of Unknown Ocean Currents. American Control Conference (ACC).
- (2012) Towards the Integration of Process and Quality Control using Multi-agent Technology. IEEE Industrial Electronics Society. Annual Conference. Proceedings.
- (2012) On the Boundedness Property of the Inertia Matrix and Skew-Symmetric Property of the Coriolis Matrix for Vehicle-Manipulator Systems. Journal of Dynamic Systems Measurement, and Control. vol. 134 (4).
- (2012) Development of Robotic Solutions for Oil/Gas, Aluminum and Manufacturing Industry. IEEE Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation.
- (2012) Small scale reformers for on-site hydrogen supply. Energy Procedia. vol. 29.
- (2011) Learning Intelligent Controllers for Path-following Skills on Snake-like Robots. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 7102.
- (2010) On the Boundedness and Skew-Symmetric Properties of the Inertia and Coriolis Matrices for Vehicle-Manipulator Systems. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.
- (2008) Security and tolerable risk for hydrogen service stations. Technology in society. vol. 30.
- (1996) Lateral Motion Control of an Underwater Thruster Module Suspended to a Surface Vessel by a Slender Marine Structure. International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering. vol. 6 (4).
Part of book/report
- (2016) Small scale reforming for on-site hydrogen supply. : Hydrogen Science and Engineering - Materials, Processes, Systems and Technology.
- (2015) Exposed aquaculture in Norway: Technologies for robust operations in rough conditions. OCEANS'15 MTS/IEEE Washington, Washington DC, 19-22 October, 2015.
- (2015) Applicability of current remotely operated vehicle standards and guidelines to autonomous subsea IMR operations. Proceedings ASME 2015 34th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering Volume 7: Ocean Engineering.
- (2015) Application of fuzzy logic for safe autonomous subsea IMR operations. Safety and Reliability of Complex Engineered Systems.
- (2015) A Risk Management Framework for Unmanned Underwater Vehicles Focusing on Human and Organizational Factors. ASME 2015 34th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering Volume 3: Structures, Safety and Reliability.
- (2015) Risk modeling of autonomous underwater vehicle operation focusing on the human operator. Safety and Reliability of Complex Engineered Systems.
- (2015) Reducing risk to aquaculture workers by autonomous systems and operations. Safety and Reliability of Complex Engineered Systems.
- (2014) Path Following of Underactuated Marine Underwater Vehicles in the Presence of Unknown Ocean Currents. 33rd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering Volume 7: Ocean Space Utilization; Professor Emeritus J. Randolph Paulling Honoring Symposium on Ocean Technology.