Postal addressDepartment of Engineering Cybernetics Norwegian University of Science and Technology 7491 Trondheim Norway
Jan Tommy Gravdahl
Background and activities
see also my other official webpage
Tommy Gravdahl is professor at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). He was born in 1969 and graduated siv.ing (1994) and dr.ing (1998) in Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU. From 1998 to 2001 he was a postdoctoral researcher with the Department of Engineering Cybernetics. He was appointed Associate Professor (2001) and Professor (2005) at the same department, where he served as deputy department head 2006-07 and department head in 2008/09. In 2007/08 he was with The Centre for Complex Dynamic Systems and Control (CDSC), The University of Newcastle, Australia. His current research interests include mathematical modeling and nonlinear control in general and with application to turbomachinery, spacecraft, robots, ships and nanopositioning devices. He has supervised the graduation of 78 MSc and 10 PhD. He has published more than 150 papers at conferences and in international journals and in 2000 he received theIEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology Outstanding Paper Award. He is author of Compressor Surge and Rotating Stall: Modeling and Control (Springer 1999), co-author of Modeling and Simulation for Automatic Control (Marine Cybernetics 2002), Snake Robots: Modeling, Mechatronics, and Control (Springer 2013), Vehicle-Manipulator Systems: Modeling for Simulation, Analysis and Control (Springer 2014) and co-editor of Group Coordination and Cooperative Control (Springer 2006).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) A waypoint guidance strategy for underwater snake robots. IEEE Mediterranean Conference on Control & Automation.
- (2014) Modeling of underwater snake robots moving in a vertical plane in 3D. IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems. Proceedings.
- (2014) Modeling of underwater snake robots. Proceedings / IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation.
- (2014) Compliant Control of the Body Shape of Snake Robots. Proceedings / IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation.
- (2014) Differential Geometric Modelling and Robust Path Following Control of Snake Robots Using Sliding Mode Techniques. Proceedings / IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation.
- (2013) Heave Motion Estimation on a Craft Using a Strapdown Inertial Measurement Unit. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.
- (2013) Simulator and Control System Design for a Free Floating Surface Effect Ship at Zero Vessel Speed. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. volum 8 (1).
- (2013) Counter-Current and Co-Current Guidance of Underactuated Unmanned Marine Vehicles. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.
- (2013) Path Following of Marine Surface Vessels with Saturated Transverse Actuators. American Control Conference (ACC).
- (2013) Path Following of Underactuated Surface Vessels in Presence of Unknown Constant Environmental Forces: Preliminary Results. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.
- (2013) Relative velocity control and integral line of sight for path following of autonomous surface vessels: Merging intuition with theory. Journal of Engineering for the Maritime Environment (Part M).
- (2013) Damping and Tracking Control Schemes for Nanopositioning. IEEE/ASME transactions on mechatronics. volum PP (99).
- (2013) Fixed-Structure, Low-Order Damping and Tracking Control Schemes for Nanopositioning. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.
- (2013) Lateral undulation of snake robots: A simplified model and fundamental properties. Robotica (Cambridge. Print). volum 31 (7).
- (2013) Snake Robots - From Biology to Nonlinear Control. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. volum 9 (1).
- (2013) Linear and Nonlinear State Estimation in the Czochralski Process. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. volum 10 (1).
- (2013) Mixed-Integer Formulation of Unit Commitment problem for power systems: Focus on start-up cost. Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society.
- (2013) Mixed-Integer Minimization of the Cost function of the Unit Commitment problem for Isolated power systems. I E E E Conference on Decision and Control. Proceedings.
- (2013) Implementation and Comparison of Attitude Estimation Methods for Agricultural Robotics. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. volum 4 (1).
- (2013) Design of a nonlinear damping control scheme for nanopositioning. IEEE ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics.