Background and activities
see also my other official webpage
Tommy Gravdahl is professor at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). He was born in 1969 and graduated siv.ing (1994) and dr.ing (1998) in Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU. From 1998 to 2001 he was a postdoctoral researcher with the Department of Engineering Cybernetics. He was appointed Associate Professor (2001) and Professor (2005) at the same department, where he served as deputy department head 2006-07 and department head in 2008/09. In 2007/08 he was with The Centre for Complex Dynamic Systems and Control (CDSC), The University of Newcastle, Australia. His current research interests include mathematical modeling and nonlinear control in general and with application to turbomachinery, spacecraft, robots, ships and nanopositioning devices. He has supervised the graduation of 78 MSc and 10 PhD. He has published more than 150 papers at conferences and in international journals and in 2000 he received theIEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology Outstanding Paper Award. He is author of Compressor Surge and Rotating Stall: Modeling and Control (Springer 1999), co-author of Modeling and Simulation for Automatic Control (Marine Cybernetics 2002), Snake Robots: Modeling, Mechatronics, and Control (Springer 2013), Vehicle-Manipulator Systems: Modeling for Simulation, Analysis and Control (Springer 2014) and co-editor of Group Coordination and Cooperative Control (Springer 2006).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Stability properties of a heat equation with state-dependent parameters and asymmetric boundary conditions. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.
- (2015) Energy efficiency of underwater snake robot locomotion. IEEE Mediterranean Conference on Control & Automation.
- (2014) Estimation of inner-domain temperatures for a freezing process. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2014) The nonlinear heat equation with state-dependent parameters and its connection to the Burgers' and the potential Burgers' equation. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 19.
- (2014) Relative velocity control and integral line of sight for path following of autonomous surface vessels: Merging intuition with theory. Journal of Engineering for the Maritime Environment (Part M). vol. 228 (2).
- (2014) Analog Robust Repetitive Control for Nanopositioning Using Bucket Brigade Devices. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 19.
- (2014) A Geometric Approach to Actuator Failure in Robotic Manipulators. Proceedings in Applied Mathematics and Mechanics : PAMM. vol. 14.
- (2014) Optimal Dynamic Force Mapping for Obstacle-Aided Locomotion in 2D Snake Robots. IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems. Proceedings.
- (2014) A waypoint guidance strategy for underwater snake robots. Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation.
- (2014) Modeling of underwater snake robots moving in a vertical plane in 3D. IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems. Proceedings.
- (2014) Integral Line-of-Sight for path following of underwater snake robots. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2014) A Geometric Approach to the Design of Serial and Parallel Manipulators with Passive Joints. Applied Mathematics. vol. 5 (16).
- (2014) H_inf Reduced Order Control for Nanopositioning: Numerical Implementability. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 19.
- (2014) Differential Geometric Modelling and Robust Path Following Control of Snake Robots Using Sliding Mode Techniques. Proceedings / IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation.
- (2014) Path following control of planar snake robots using virtual holonomic constraints: theory and experiments. Robotics and Biomimetics. vol. 1 (3).
- (2014) Discrete-Time Repetitive Control With Model-Less FIR Filter Inversion for High Performance Nanopositioning. IEEE ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics.
- (2014) Modeling and Control of a Marine Diesel Engine driving a Synchronous machine and a Propeller. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2013) Heave Motion Estimation on a Craft Using a Strapdown Inertial Measurement Unit. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.
- (2013) Simulator and Control System Design for a Free Floating Surface Effect Ship at Zero Vessel Speed. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 8 (1).
- (2013) Counter-Current and Co-Current Guidance of Underactuated Unmanned Marine Vehicles. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.