Background and activities
see also my other official webpage
Tommy Gravdahl is professor at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). He was born in 1969 and graduated siv.ing (1994) and dr.ing (1998) in Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU. From 1998 to 2001 he was a postdoctoral researcher with the Department of Engineering Cybernetics. He was appointed Associate Professor (2001) and Professor (2005) at the same department, where he served as deputy department head 2006-07 and department head in 2008/09. In 2007/08 he was with The Centre for Complex Dynamic Systems and Control (CDSC), The University of Newcastle, Australia. His current research interests include mathematical modeling and nonlinear control in general and with application to turbomachinery, spacecraft, robots, ships and nanopositioning devices. He has supervised the graduation of 78 MSc and 10 PhD. He has published more than 150 papers at conferences and in international journals and in 2000 he received theIEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology Outstanding Paper Award. He is author of Compressor Surge and Rotating Stall: Modeling and Control (Springer 1999), co-author of Modeling and Simulation for Automatic Control (Marine Cybernetics 2002), Snake Robots: Modeling, Mechatronics, and Control (Springer 2013), Vehicle-Manipulator Systems: Modeling for Simulation, Analysis and Control (Springer 2014) and co-editor of Group Coordination and Cooperative Control (Springer 2006).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Optimal boundary control of a contact thawing process for foodstuff. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 49 (7).
- (2016) A Machine Vision System for Robust Sorting of Herring Fractions. Food and Bioprocess Technology.
- (2016) Planar path following of underwater snake robots in the presence of ocean currents. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters. vol. 1 (1).
- (2016) Formation Control of Underactuated Bio-inspired Snake Robots. Artificial Life and Robotics. vol. 21 (3).
- (2015) Boarding control system for improved accessibility to offshore wind turbines: Full-scale testing. Control Engineering Practice. vol. 45.
- (2015) A heat equation for freezing processes with phase change: stability analysis and applications. International Journal of Control.
- (2015) Stability properties of a heat equation with state-dependent parameters and asymmetric boundary conditions. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (11).
- (2015) Low-order continuous-time robust repetitive control: Application in nanopositioning. Mechatronics (Oxford). vol. 30.
- (2015) Robustness of ISS systems to inputs with limited moving average, with application to spacecraft formations. International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control. vol. 26 (4).
- (2015) Experimental investigation of efficient locomotion of underwater snake robots for lateral undulation and eel-like motion patterns. Robotics and Biomimetics. vol. 2 (8).
- (2015) Energy efficiency of underwater robots. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (16).
- (2015) Energy efficiency of underwater snake robot locomotion. Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation.
- (2015) Topography and force imaging in atomic force microscopy by state and parameter estimation. American Control Conference (ACC). vol. 2015-July.
- (2015) On implementation of the Preisach model identification and inversion for hysteresis compensation. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 36 (3).
- (2015) Control-oriented model of a generating set comprising a diesel engine and a synchronous generator. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 36 (4).
- (2015) Bond graph modeling of centrifugal compression systems. Simulation (San Diego, Calif.). vol. 91 (11).
- (2014) Estimation of inner-domain temperatures for a freezing process. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2014) The nonlinear heat equation with state-dependent parameters and its connection to the Burgers' and the potential Burgers' equation. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 47 (3).
- (2014) Relative velocity control and integral line of sight for path following of autonomous surface vessels: Merging intuition with theory. Journal of Engineering for the Maritime Environment (Part M). vol. 228 (2).
- (2014) Analog Robust Repetitive Control for Nanopositioning Using Bucket Brigade Devices. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 19.