Background and activities
Johan Sjöblom has been Professor in surface and colloid chemistry and the Head of the Ugelstad Laboratory at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Trondheim from January 1st 2002. He was earlier Professor at the University of Bergen during the years from 1988-1999, and Chief Researcher at Statoils R&D Centre in the period 1998-2001. Sjöblom has served as Adjunct Professor of Colloid Chemistry and Materials Science at Clarkson University, Potsdam, New York, and at the Technical University of Helsinki from 1992-1999.
Sjöblom is the editor of 10 books, and the author or coauthor of more than 300 professional papers. He has educated 50 PhD's and 35 MSc's.
Sjöblom is Editor-In-Chief (from 2005) for Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology, and previous Editorial Board Member of Colloids and Surfaces during the period 1993-2003. Sjöblom is also a member of the Advisory Board of Microporous and Mesoporous Materials. He is a member of the American Chemical Society, the Norwegian Chemical Society, and the Finnish Chemical Society. He is also elected Member of the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences and the Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences in Finland. Sjöblom received his PhD degree (1982) in physical chemistry from the Åbo Akademi, Finland.
Sjöblom has been an industrial consultant in colloid chemistry since 1980.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Nonlinear rheology and pressure wave propagation in a thixotropic elasto-viscoplastic fluids, in the context of flow restart. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics. vol. 231.
- (2016) Axial stress localization facilitates pressure propagation in gelled pipes. Physics of fluids. vol. 28 (3).
- (2016) A microcalorimetry study on the adsorption of asphaltenes and asphaltene model compounds at the liquid/solid surface. Langmuir.
- (2016) DPD Molecular Simulations of Asphaltene Adsorption on Hydrophilic Substrates: Effects of Polar Groups and Solubility. Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology. vol. 37 (6).
- (2016) Asphaltene fractionation based on adsorption onto calcium carbonate: Part 1. Characterization of sub-fractions and QCM-D measurements. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. vol. 495.
- (2016) Asphaltene Precipitation Models: A Review. Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology. vol. 37 (7).
- (2016) Solvent Desorption of Asphaltenes From Solid Surfaces. Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology.
- (2016) Organically modified nano-clay facilitates pour point depressing activity of polyoctadecylacrylate. Fuel. vol. 166.
- (2015) Interfacial Layer Properties of a Polyaromatic Compound and its Role in Stabilizing Water-in-Oil Emulsions. Langmuir. vol. 31 (38).
- (2015) Rheological properties of highly concentrated dense packed layer emulsions (w/o) stabilized by asphaltene. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 126.
- (2015) Preparation and Characterization of Reference Fluids to Mimic Flow Properties of Crude Oil Emulsions (w/o). Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology. vol. 36 (10).
- (2015) Numerical study of flow restart in the pipeline filled with weakly compressible waxy crude oil in non-isothermal condition. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics. vol. 223.
- (2015) Numerical study of pipeline restart of weakly compressible irreversibly thixotropic waxy crude oils. AIChE Journal. vol. 61 (8).
- (2015) Mixed Interfaces of Asphaltenes and Model Demulsifiers, Part II: Study of Desorption Mechanisms at Liquid/Liquid Interfaces. Energy & Fuels. vol. 29 (9).
- (2015) Mixed interfaces of asphaltenes and model demulsifiers part I: Adsorption and desorption of single components. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. vol. 466.
- (2015) Electrorheological Behavior of Crude Oil and Synthetic Reference Fluid Emulsions. Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology. vol. 36 (10).
- (2015) Interfacial Shear Rheology of Gels Formed at the Oil/Water Interface by Tetrameric Acid and Calcium Ion: Influence of Tetrameric Acid Structure and Oil Composition. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 54 (35).
- (2015) Model molecules mimicking asphaltenes. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science. vol. 218.
- (2015) Accurate Assessment of Pipeline Restart Behavior at Subsea Conditions for a Highly Waxy Crude Oil Employing Advanced Computational Pressure Wave Modeling. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 54 (16).
- (2015) Aggregation of tetrameric acid in xylene and its interaction with asphaltenes by isothermal titration calorimetry. Journal of thermal analysis and calorimetry (Print). vol. 122 (1).