Background and activities
Simulation and monitoring of the behaviour of floating bridges
To be able to develop present floating bridge technology, it is crucial to have detailed knowledge about the performance of existing floating bridges. An extensive measurement program on the Bergsøysund Bridge is therefore a part of this research project. The measurement system includes recording of the environmental excitation and the response of the bridge. The Bergsøysund Bridge is one of two end-supported floating bridges in the world, and is considered a very interesting case study. By comparing the measurements to numerical predictions based on state of the art methodology, the accuracy and uncertainties of the methods will be studied. The overall objective is to contribute to floating bridge technology, such that an economic and reliable design of future strait crossings can be achieved.
The tasks of my project should help answer the following research questions:
- How does a floating bridge behave, and what environmental parameters affect the behavior?
- How well do the current prediction methods estimate this behaviour?
- How big are the uncertainties?
- What is the cause of the uncertainties?
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Characterization of the wave field around an existing end-supported pontoon bridge from simulated data. International Conference on Earthquake engineering and Structural Dynamics ; Reykjavik. 2017-06-12 - 2017-06-14.
- (2017) Structural monitoring of an end-supported pontoon bridge. Marine Structures. vol. 52.
- (2017) Covariance-driven Stochastic Subspace Identification of an End-supported Pontoon Bridge Under Varying Environmental Conditions. International Modal Analysis Conference ; Garden Grove, California. 2017-01-30 - 2017-02-02.
- (2017) Operational modal analysis of an end-supported pontoon bridge. Engineering structures. vol. 148.
- (2017) Simulation and monitoring of floating bridge behaviour. International Conference on Earthquake engineering and Structural Dynamics ; Reykjavik. 2017-06-12 - 2017-06-14.
- (2016) Modelling the stochastic dynamic behaviour of a pontoon bridge: A case study. Computers & structures. vol. 165.
- (2015) Modal Analysis of a Floating Bridge Without Side-Mooring. Dynamics of Civil Structures, Volume 2: Proceedings of the 33rd IMAC, A Conference and Exposition on Structural Dynamics, 2015.