Background and activities
PhD-candidate at The department for Scandinavian studies and comparative literature, funded through the national research project The history of literary criticism in Norway 1870-2000.
- Currently working on a thesis on literary criticism in Norwegian radio, to be finished in August 2013.
- Fulbright recipient, visiting scholar at Columbia University, New York, 2012-2013.
- Teaching KRIT3002 - Genres and Formats of Art Criticism.
The project aims firstly to produce an historical account of the meeting of literary criticism with radio-broadcasting through the 20th century. Secondly, taking as a starting point that the medium influences, rather than determins the content of media, it wil be of interest to give a rhetorical, sociological and institutional analysis of the historical development of criticism through this encounter. It may take a while for the structural and technological influences make their impact.
Literature has played a central part in the history of Norwegian broadcasting (NRK), even if literary reviews gained access to the medium at a relatively late stage. This is due to the medium's self-image and the role literature has been given in the public sphere. It has been said that the public sphere has become more personal during the course of the period that the project covers. I will try to study how the sphere of literature approaches new media technologies, technologies that reveal new sides of the man of letters.
Other fields of interest
- The relationship between politics and literature
- Reception theory
- Literary anthropology
- Literary self-depiction (autobiografiction)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Sakprosaåret 2013 – Grensegangar. Norsk Litterær Årbok.
- (2013) Adornos radioteori : radioens stemme som opplysningsverktøy. Norsk Medietidsskrift. vol. 20 (2).
- (2011) Closing in – Literary criticism in Norwegian radio (NRK), 1925–2010. Rundfunk und Geschichte.
- (2011) Kritikkåret 2010 – Høgt, mørkt, kjapt og tabloid. Norsk Litterær Årbok.
- (2010) Kritikkåret 2009 - parafrasert :. Norsk Litterær Årbok.
- (2009) Romanåret 2008 – Det politiske vert stendig meir personleg. Norsk Litterær Årbok.
Part of book/report
- (2010) Hva må sies? Artikler om litteratur i Veien frem (1936–1937). Kritiske portretter. Litterære tidsskrifter etter 1880.