Background and activities
Lars Imsland has been a professor at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics since 2009. He has a PhD and an MSc in Engineering Cybernetics from NTNU. He belongs to the research group Control Systems.
- 2009–present: Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Professor at Department of Engineering Cybernetics.
- 2008–2009: Cybernetica AS, Trondheim, Specialist. Nonlinear model predictive control, automatic control in offshore drilling.
- 2004–2008: SINTEF ICT, Trondheim, Research Scientist. Estimation in automotive applications, power processes with CO2 capture.
- 2002–2004: Norwegian University of Science and Technology,Post.Doc. Control of power processes with CO2 capture.
- 1998–2002: Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Doctoral Student. Nonlinear control, control and optimization.
- 2000–2000: University of Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany, Visiting scholar.
Professional committees and memberships
- Co-chair of National Organizing Committee for 11th International IFAC Symposium on Dynamics and Control of Process and Bioprocess Systems (DYCOPS-CAB 2016), Trondheim, June 2016.
- Chair of National Organizing Committee for 1st IFAC Workshop on Automatic Control in Offshore Oil and Gas Production, Trondheim May 2012.
- Board member, Norwegian Society of Automatic Control, 2013–
- Reviewer for numerous journals and conferences, member of international program committee for conferences such as American Control Conference 2011, Mediterranean Conference on Control & Automation 2014 and 2015, IFAC Adchem 2015, IFAC ACOOG 2015.
- Member of 9 PhD adjudication committees in Norway and abroad.
- Board member, Board of Department of Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU, 1999–2001.
- 2008: Arch T. Colwell Merit Award, from the Society of Automotive Engineers.
- 2004: Automatica Outstanding Reviewer.
- 1998: PhD Scolarship from the Research Council of Norway.
- 1997: “Elf Studiepris”. Grant from Elf Aquitaine Norge A/S for “outstanding examination results”.
See my CV for more detailed information.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Iterative algorithms for computing the feedback Nash equilibrium point for positive systems. International Journal of Systems Science. vol. 48 (4).
- (2017) Block factorization of step response model predictive control problems. Journal of Process Control. vol. 53.
- (2016) Numerical Optimal Control Mixing Collocation with Single Shooting: A Case Study. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (7).
- (2016) An estimation-forecast set-up for iceberg drift prediction. Cold Regions Science and Technology. vol. 131.
- (2016) Model Predictive Load-Frequency Control. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. vol. 31 (1).
- (2016) Model predictive load–frequency control taking into account imbalance uncertainty. Control Engineering Practice. vol. 53.
- (2016) Monitoring Moving Objects Using Aerial Mobile Sensors. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. vol. 24 (2).
- (2016) Efficient implementation of step response models for embedded Model Predictive Control. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 90.
- (2016) Combined economic and regulatory predictive control. Automatica. vol. 69.
- (2016) On convergence of the unscented Kalman-Bucy filter using contraction theory. International Journal of Systems Science. vol. 47 (8).
- (2015) Monitoring an Advection-Diffusion Process Using Aerial Mobile Sensors. Unmanned Systems. vol. 3 (3).
- (2015) LQR problem of linear discrete time systems with nonnegative state constraints. AIP Conference Proceedings. vol. 1684:11003.
- (2015) Automatically generated embedded model predictive control: Moving an industrial PC-based MPC to an embedded platform. Optimal control applications & methods. vol. 36 (5).
- (2015) Efficient implementation of step response prediction models for embedded model predictive control. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (23).
- (2015) High-performance Embedded Model Predictive Control using Step Response Models. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (25).
- (2015) Incident detection and isolation in drilling using analytical redundancy relations. Control Engineering Practice. vol. 41 (August).
- (2015) Fault diagnosis of downhole drilling incidents using adaptive observers and statistical change detection. Journal of Process Control. vol. 30 (June).
- (2015) Drillstring Washout Diagnosis using Friction Estimation and Statistical Change Detection. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. vol. 23 (5).
- (2015) Early pack-off diagnosis in drilling using an adaptive observer and statistical change detection. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (6).
- (2014) Efficient Implementation of Solvers for Linear Model Predictive Control on Embedded Devices. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.