Background and activities
Professor in Behavioural Sciences in Medicine (keywords: Bio-Psycho-Social medicine, Clinical communication), at the Department of Public Health and General Practice at NTNU, Researcher at the Research Unit for Generel Practice. Affiliated with the National Research School of General Practice NAFALM.
I have extensive clinical background from general practice, psychiatry and occupational medicine in Norway and Iceland.
LG is born and educated in Norway and has lived in Iceland 1996-2013. Moved to Trondheim 2014. She started out in Norwegian general practice where she became involved in ideology development and research. In Iceland, she has worked with psychiatry and occupational medicine, whilst continuing to cooperate with Norwegian GP colleagues. Her Ph.D. thesis “Sustainable and responsible preventive medicine” (2006) focuses on ethical dilemmas related to implementation of preventive, clinical guidelines. She has later devotes considerable time and thought to the rapidly increasing body of evidence which links human existential experience to biological function and disease development. Currently Linn is involved in research related to Systems biology for general practice, Multimorbidity (studies based on the HUNT database), and What does it mean to encounter the patient as a person. Linn has lectured extensively in Norway and abroad, including keynote lectures at the Nordic Gongress of General Practice in 2002, 2009 qnd 2015, Wonca Europe in 2010, Royal College of General Practitioners in England and Ireland, as well as national congresses in Norway, Iceland, Finland Sweden, Denmark. Guest lecturer at Algarve medical School in 2011 and McMaster University (2015)
Lectures on You Tube
Keynote at the BMJ initiated conference Preventing Overdiagnosis, Oxford (2014) On Crisis, Hubris and the future of Medicalisation.
Guest lecture together with prof Bruce McEwen at Radcliffe Institute of Advanced Study, Radcliffe- Harvard (2016):Youtube: Precision, Personalized and Social Medicine
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Origins of heath inequalities: the case for allostatic Load. Longitudinal and life course studies. vol. 7 (1).
- (2016) "Informed choice" in a time of too much medicine-no panacea for ethical difficulties. BMJ-BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL. vol. 353 (i2230).
- (2016) Medicine`s perception of reality - a split picture: critical reflections on apparent anomalies within the biomedical theory of science. Journal of Evaluation In Clinical Practice. vol. 22 (4).
- (2016) Are persons with fibromyalgia or other musculoskeletal pain more likely to report hearing loss? A HUNT study. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. vol. 17 (477).
- (2016) History of violence and subjective health of mother and child. From The Childbirth and Health Cohort Study in Primary Care, Iceland. Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care. vol. 34 (4).
- (2016) Does existential unease' predict adult multimorbidity? Analytical cohort study on embodiment based on the Norwegian HUNT population. BMJ Open. vol. 6:e011602 (11).
- (2016) Tilvistarvandi og streituvaldandi umhverfi sem mögulegur forspárþáttur fyrir fjölveikindi fullorðinna. Vísindaþing heimilislækna Reykjavík 7.- 8. október 2016, Reykjavik.
- (2016) Fastlegers prosedyrekompetanse - en dårlig utnyttet ressurs? (publikasjon fra AFU prosjekt). Utposten.
- (2016) Personalized medicine: evidence of normativity in its quantitative definition of health. Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics. vol. 37 (5).
- (2016) The new holism: P4 systems medicine and the medicalization of health and life itself. Medicine, Health care and Philosophy. vol. 19 (2).
- (2015) Personalized medicine meets general practice – a SWOT analysis. Gothenburg 16th-18th of June 2015, 19th Nordic Congress og General Practice. Programme and Abstracts.
- (2015) Beträttelsarnas betydelse för sjukdom och hälsa. Narrativ medicin i den allmännmedicinske praktiken - Del 1. Allmännmedicin.
- (2015) Narrativ Medicin i den allmännmedicinske praktiken - del 2. Allmännmedicin.
- (2015) Self Reported Childhood Difficulties, Adult Multimorbidity and Allostatic Load. A Cross-Sectional Analysis of the Norwegian HUNT Study. PLoS ONE. vol. 10 (6).
- (2014) On Crisis Hybris and the Future of Medicalisation. Abstraktbok Preventing Overdiagnosis Conference 2014.
- (2014) Can person-free medical knowledge inform person-centered medical practice?. European Journal for Person Centered Healthcare. vol. 2 (1).
- (2014) Predictive risk algorithms as a driver of overdiagnosis - current status and what next?. Preventing Overdiagnosis - Conference abstracts.
- (2014) Too many diagnoses - multimorbidity as a medical artefact?. Preventing Overdiagnosis. Winding back the harms of too much medicine. University of Oxford, UK, september 15-17, 2014 Programme and Abstracts.
- (2014) Co-and multimorbidity patterns in an unselected Norwegian population: Cross-sectional analysis based on the HUNT studyand theoretical reflections concerning basic medical models. European Journal for Person Centered Healthcare. vol. 2 (3).
- (2014) Total health - the holistic overdiagnosis of Systems (P4) medicine. Abstraktbok Preventing Overdiagnosis Conference 2014.