Background and activities
- M.D. 1988
- Ph.d. 1996
- Adjunct professor in cell biology and hematological cancer
- Specialist in clinical immunology and transfusion medicine
- Consultant in Dept. of Immunology and Transfusion Medicine, St. Olavs Hospital
Research highlights of the multiple myeloma (MM) research group at NTNU, Trondheim
- 1993: Description of a new separation method for MM cells based on antibodies against syndecan-1 (CD138).
- 1994: Establishment of OH-2, an IL-6- and TNF-dependent MM cell line that has since been shown to be a unique hyperdiploid cell line without IgH translocations.
- 1996: The first publication ever on NF-kappa-B activation in human MM cells
· 1996: First publications on expression of hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) and autocrine stimulation of the HGF receptor c-Met in MM cells.
· 1996: Elevation of HGF in serum from patients with MM compared to healthy controls
- 1998: Serum HGF concentration is a prognostic factor for patients with MM and is reduced after response to treatment.
- 1999: Description of a dual role of Fas in myeloma cells; induction of both apoptosis and proliferative responses.
- 1999: HGF induces production of the osteoclast-stimulating cytokine IL-11 in osteoblastic cells.
- 1999: First paper showing proliferation of myeloma cells induced by IL-15 and production of IL-15 mRNA in MM cells.
- 1999: Establishment of a mouse model for MM showing depletion of osteoblasts from affected skeletal tissue.
- 2000: First paper on prognostic impact of serum level of syndecan-1 in patients with MM
- 2000: Polarization of syndecan-1 and heparin-binding molecules on the surface of MM cells
- 2000: High levels of syndecan-1 in MM bone marrow modulate the activity of HGF.
- 2000: First paper on expression of urokinase plasminogen activator (uPA) and the aPA receptor in MM cells.
- 2001: Bone morphogenetic protein-4 (BMP-4) induces apoptosis in MM cells.
- 2001: First paper showing reduced levels of osteoprotegerin (OPG) in serum from patients with MM
- 2002: First paper on proliferative effect of IL-21 on MM cells.
- 2002: Serum IGF-1 is not elevated in MM patients, but is still a prognostic factor
- 2002: OPG is bound and internalized by MM cells.
- 2004: BMP-5, -6 and -7 induce apoptosis in MM cells.
- 2004: Osteopontin is an adhesive factor for MM cells and is increased in serum from patients with MM
- 2005: An inhibitor of HGF receptor c-Met blocks autocrine growth of MM cells.
- 2005: HGF induces adhesion of MM cells to fibronectin
- 2006: First paper showing that toll-like receptors mediate proliferation of MM cells.
- 2007: HGF inhibits BMP-induced osteoclastogensis.
- 2008: Metastasis-associated phosphatase PRL-3 is expressed in malignant but not in healthy plasma cells.
- 2008: HGF promotes migration of MM cells
- 2008: Elevated serum levels of HGF activator in patients with MM
- 2010: Myeloma cell line OH-2 is hyperdiploid and represents a subgroup of myeloma cases that are frequent but rarely give rise to cell lines.
- 2011: The kinase SGK-1 is expressed in myeloma cells where it promotes cell growth.
- 2012: BMPs induce apoptosis of myeloma cells by repressing MYC.
- 2013: Anti-c-Met nanobodies as potetial myeloma drug.
- 2013: Synergy between HGF, IGF-1 and SGK-1 in promoting myeloma cell growth.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2013) HGF and IGF-1 synergize with SDF-1α in promoting migration of myeloma cells by cooperative activation of p21-activated kinase. Experimental Hematology. vol. 41 (7).
- (2013) Anti-c-MET Nanobody® – a new potential drug in multiple myeloma treatment. European Journal of Haematology. vol. 91 (5).
- (2012) Bone morphogenetic proteins induce apoptosis in multiple myeloma cells by Smad-dependent repression of MYC. Leukemia. vol. 26.
- (2012) Immunohistochemical analysis of hepatocyte growth factor and c-Met in plasma cell disease. Histopathology. vol. 60 (3).
- (2011) Serum/glucocorticoid-regulated kinase 1 (SGK1) is a prominent target gene of the transcriptional response to cytokines in multiple myeloma and supports the growth of myeloma cells. Oncogene. vol. 30 (28).
- (2011) Serglycin inhibits the classical and lectin pathways of complement via its glycosaminoglycan chains: Implications for multiple myeloma. European Journal of Immunology. vol. 41 (2).
- (2011) Soluble c-Met in serum of patients with multiple myeloma: correlation with clinical parameters. European Journal of Haematology. vol. 87 (5).
- (2009) OH-2, a hyperdiploid myeloma cell line without an IGH translocation, has a complex translocation juxtaposing MYC near MAFB and the IGK locus. Leukemia research : a Forum for Studies on Leukemia and Normal Hemopoiesis. vol. 33 (12).
- (2009) FGFR3 is expressed and is important for survival in INA-6, a human myeloma cell line without a t(4;14). European Journal of Haematology. vol. 83 (5).
- (2008) Overexpression and involvement in migration by the metastasis-associated phosphatase PRL-3 in human myeloma cells. Blood. vol. 111.
- (2007) HGF promotes migration of myeloma cells. Haematologica. vol. 92.
- (2006) Toll-like receptors mediate proliferation and survival of multiple myeloma cells. Leukemia. vol. 20.
- (2006) HGF Inhibits BMP-Induced Osteoblastogenesis: Implications for the Bone Disease in Multiple Myeloma. Blood. vol. 108.
- (2005) Human myeloma cells adhere to fibronectin in response to hepatocyte growth factor. Haematologica. vol. 90 (4).
- (2004) Bone morphogenetic protein-5, -6 and -7 inhibit growth and induce apoptosis in human myeloma cells. Oncogene. vol. 23 (17).
- (2004) A Selective c-Met Inhibitor Blocks an Autocrine Hepatocyte Growth Factor Growth Loop in ANBL-6 Cells and Prevents Migration and Adhesion of Myeloma cells. Clinical Cancer Research. vol. 10.
- (2002) Interleukin-21 is a growth and survival factor for human myeloma cells. Blood. vol. 99.
- (2002) Serum insulin-like growth factor is not increased in patients with multiple myelomna but is still a prognostic factor. Blood. vol. 100.
- (2001) Elevated levels of osteoprotegerin (OPG) and hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) in rheumatoid arthritis. Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology. vol. 30 (4).
- (2001) Bone morphogenetic protein-4 inhibits proliferation and induces apoptosis of multiple myeloma cells. Blood. vol. 97 (2).
- (2001) Serum osteoprotegerin levels are reduced in patients with multiple myeloma with lytic bone disease. Blood. vol. 98 (7).
- (2000) Syndecan-1 is targeted to the uropods of polarized myeloma cells where it promotes adhesion and sequesters heparing-binding proteins. Blood. vol. 96.
- (2000) High levels of soluble syndecan-1 in myeloma-derived bone marrow : modulation of hepatocyte growth factor activity. Blood. vol. 96 (9).
- (2000) Serum syndecan-1: a new independent prognostic marker in multiple myeloma. Blood. vol. 95.
- (1999) Apoptosis, proliferation and NF-k(kappa)B activation induced by agonistic Fas antibodies in the human myeloma cell line OH-2: amplification of Fas-mediated apoptosis by tumor necrosis factor. European Journal of Haematology. vol. 63.
- (1999) Hepatocyte Growth Factor (HGF) Induces Interleukin-11 Sedretion From Osteoblasts: A Possible Role for HGF in Myeloma-Associated Osteolytic Bone Disease. Blood.
- (1999) Interleukin-15 blocks apoptosis and induces proliferation of the human myeloma cell line OH-2 and freshly isolated myeloma cells. British Journal of Haematology.
- (1999) Marked osteoblastopenia and reduced bone formation in a model of multiple myeloma bone disease in severe combined immunodeficiency mice. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research.
- (1998) Elevated serum concentrations of hepatocyte growth factor in patients with multiple myeloma. The Nordic Myeloma Study Group. Blood.
- (1996) Hepatocyte growth factor and its receptor c-MET in multiple myeloma. Blood. vol. 88 (10).
- (1996) Concomitant expression of hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor and the receptor c-MET in human myeloma cell lines. Journal of Biological Chemistry. vol. 271 (40).
- (1996) The role of the two TNF receptors in proliferation, NF-_KB activation and discrimination between TNF and LT_a signalling in the human myeloma cell line OH-2. Cytokine. vol. 8 (6).