Background and activities
- M.D. 1988
- Ph.d. 1996
- Adjunct professor in cell biology and hematological cancer
- Specialist in clinical immunology and transfusion medicine
- Consultant in Dept. of Immunology and Transfusion Medicine, St. Olavs Hospital
Research highlights of the multiple myeloma (MM) research group at NTNU, Trondheim
- 1993: Description of a new separation method for MM cells based on antibodies against syndecan-1 (CD138).
- 1994: Establishment of OH-2, an IL-6- and TNF-dependent MM cell line that has since been shown to be a unique hyperdiploid cell line without IgH translocations.
- 1996: The first publication ever on NF-kappa-B activation in human MM cells
· 1996: First publications on expression of hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) and autocrine stimulation of the HGF receptor c-Met in MM cells.
· 1996: Elevation of HGF in serum from patients with MM compared to healthy controls
- 1998: Serum HGF concentration is a prognostic factor for patients with MM and is reduced after response to treatment.
- 1999: Description of a dual role of Fas in myeloma cells; induction of both apoptosis and proliferative responses.
- 1999: HGF induces production of the osteoclast-stimulating cytokine IL-11 in osteoblastic cells.
- 1999: First paper showing proliferation of myeloma cells induced by IL-15 and production of IL-15 mRNA in MM cells.
- 1999: Establishment of a mouse model for MM showing depletion of osteoblasts from affected skeletal tissue.
- 2000: First paper on prognostic impact of serum level of syndecan-1 in patients with MM
- 2000: Polarization of syndecan-1 and heparin-binding molecules on the surface of MM cells
- 2000: High levels of syndecan-1 in MM bone marrow modulate the activity of HGF.
- 2000: First paper on expression of urokinase plasminogen activator (uPA) and the aPA receptor in MM cells.
- 2001: Bone morphogenetic protein-4 (BMP-4) induces apoptosis in MM cells.
- 2001: First paper showing reduced levels of osteoprotegerin (OPG) in serum from patients with MM
- 2002: First paper on proliferative effect of IL-21 on MM cells.
- 2002: Serum IGF-1 is not elevated in MM patients, but is still a prognostic factor
- 2002: OPG is bound and internalized by MM cells.
- 2004: BMP-5, -6 and -7 induce apoptosis in MM cells.
- 2004: Osteopontin is an adhesive factor for MM cells and is increased in serum from patients with MM
- 2005: An inhibitor of HGF receptor c-Met blocks autocrine growth of MM cells.
- 2005: HGF induces adhesion of MM cells to fibronectin
- 2006: First paper showing that toll-like receptors mediate proliferation of MM cells.
- 2007: HGF inhibits BMP-induced osteoclastogensis.
- 2008: Metastasis-associated phosphatase PRL-3 is expressed in malignant but not in healthy plasma cells.
- 2008: HGF promotes migration of MM cells
- 2008: Elevated serum levels of HGF activator in patients with MM
- 2010: Myeloma cell line OH-2 is hyperdiploid and represents a subgroup of myeloma cases that are frequent but rarely give rise to cell lines.
- 2011: The kinase SGK-1 is expressed in myeloma cells where it promotes cell growth.
- 2012: BMPs induce apoptosis of myeloma cells by repressing MYC.
- 2013: Anti-c-Met nanobodies as potetial myeloma drug.
- 2013: Synergy between HGF, IGF-1 and SGK-1 in promoting myeloma cell growth.