Background and activities
I am conducting research within the fields of Energy Planning and Power Markets. My interests are especially focused towards integration of renewable energy in the energy system. My research activities includes:
- Optimization of energy storage in connection with renewables (investment and operation)
- Download my first Matlab-based simulation model here : Windhydtools
- The use of hydro power as a balancing asset
- Go to the HYDROBALANCE homepage
- Investment planning of grids, including a future North Sea Grid
- Start here
- Large scale integration of renewable energy sources in Europe
- Professor at Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2014-)
- Scientific Advisor for SINTEF Energi (2014-)
- Research Director at SINTEF Energi, Dept. of Energy Systems (2011-2014)
- Research Manager at SINTEF Energi, the System Dynamics team (2009-2011)
- Research scientist at SINTEF Energi (2006-2009)
- Post.doc. at Inst. for elkraftteknikk, NTNU (2004-2006)
- Dr.ing. (PhD) from Dept. of Electric Power Engineering, NTNU (2004) with title: "Distributed energy systems with wind power and energy storage"
- Siv.ing. (MSc) from Technical Physics, NTNU (1998)
- Contributing in the FME research centres CINELDI, ZEN and HydroCen.
- Contributing in the EU H2020 project INVADE
- Participating in EERA Joint Programme on Smart Grids, Sub Program on Electricity Storage. Responsible for Coordination Area 4.3 "Economic and technical benefits of incorporating an energy storage systems into networks"
- Currently participating in the projects
- CEDREN HydroBalance
- PRIBAS - Pricing Balancing Services in the Future Nordic Power Market
- Modelling Distributed Resources in Smart Distribution Grid
- EV4EUR - Environmental assessment of electric vehicle deployment pathways for Europe
- MultiSharm - Day-Ahead Bidding with Multiple Short-Term Markets
- HydroBalance - Large-scale balancing and energy storage from Norwegian hydropower
- NSON (North Sea Offshore Networks)
- Integrating Balancing Markets in Hydro Power Scheduling
- MAD - Models for Aggregation and Disaggregation
- SOVN - A new fundamental market model including individual water values and grid constraints
- InGrid - Integration of Power Transmission Grids
- OADE - Open and Autonomous Digital Ecosystems
- HYPER - Liquefied hydrogen production from surplus wind/hydro power and fossil sources in Norway
- Past project involvment:
Main Supervisor for:
- Espen Flo Bødal - Production of Hydrogen from Hydro- and Wind Power in Transmission Constrained Areas
- Ingeborg Graabak: Balancing of wind and solar production in Northern Europe with Norwegian hydropower
- Martin Kristiansen: Optimization of onshore- and offshore power grid infrastructures
- Salman Zaferanlouei: Integration of Electric Vehicles with Smart Grid
- Martin Hjelmeland: Long-Term Scheduling of Hydro Power in Multiple Markets
- Markus Löschenbrand: Utilization of hydro power in short-term electricity markets
- Stig Ødegaard Ottesen: Techno Economic Models in Smart Grids (Industrial Economy, NTNU)
- Rubén Montañés: Dynamic process simulation of decarbonized power generation (Energy and Process Eng., NTNU)
- Martin Håberg: Exchange of Standard Products for Balancing in the European POwer Market (Electric Power Eng., NTNU and Statnett)
- Philipp Härtel: Implications of alternative flexibility sources for the cost-benefit allocation in offshore grids (Univ. of Kassel and Fraunhofer IWES)
- Antonio Zecchino: Electric vehicles in the Nordic countries: Control strategies for coordinated grid services (DTU/NTNU collaboration)
- Main supervisor for 10 project/master-students 2014-2015
- Main supervisor for 14 project/master-students 2015-2016
- Main supervisor for 8 project/master-students 2016-2017
- Responsible for the 3-year course "Energy Planning and Operation" and the PhD course "Power Market Theory" (2014-)
- Lecturer in the 1-year course "Energy and the Environment" and the 4-year course "Energy Management in Bulidings" 2014-2016
- Responsible for the EVU-course "Production planning in hydro-based power systems" (2014)
Media and dissemination (mainly in Norwegian)
Intervju i NRK Trøndelag: Vindmøller gir billigere strøm, 24. feb 2016
Killingtveit, Ånund; Harby, Atle; Korpås, Magnus. Norge som leverandør av balansekraft. Produksjonsteknisk konferanse 2016 (PTK2016); 2016-03-07 - 2016-03-09
Korpås, Magnus. Nye trender skaper utfordringer for dagens beslutningsstøttesystemer. Smart Energy 2015; 2015-01-29 - 2015-01-30
Korpås, Magnus; Aam, Sverre; Tomasgard, Asgeir. Norges voksende rolle i Europas energisystem. I: Energi, teknologi og klima - utfordringer og handlingsrom. Museumsforlaget AS 2015 ISBN 9788283050240. s. 169-182
Korpås, Magnus; Vereide, Kaspar; Gogstad, Peter Joachim. Vannkraft - Ren energi som verdens batteri. EFIKS 2015; 2015-10-13 - 2015-10-14
Kronikk i Aftenposten 9. nov 2015: Norge må bli Europas batteri
Kronikk i Dagens Næringsliv 11. juni 2015: Elbiler kan trigge vindsatsing
Kronikk i Adresseavisen 3. juni 2015: Viktig rolle i et fornybart Europa
Repotasje i Dagens Næringsliv 28.oktober 2014: "Vil doble norsk vannkraft"
Debattinnlegg i Dagens Næringsliv 30. mai 2014: "Kampen om virkemidlene"
Presentasjon ved Kungliga Ingerniörvetenskapsakademien, Stockholm 28. mai 2014 "Market Aspects of Balancing"
Deltager i NRK P2 EKKO innslag 21. mai 2014: "Er el-bilen grønn?"
Foredrag for Stortingets energi- og miljøkomite 10. mars 2014 "Elektrifisering og bruk av offshore vind"
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Electricity for the future. Pan European Networks: Science and Techology Magazine.
- (2014) North Sea offshore network and energy storage for large scale integration of renewables. Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments. vol. 11 (147).
- (2013) Balancing of Wind Power Variations using Norwegian Hydro Power. Wind Engineering : The International Journal of Wind Power. vol. 37 (1).
- (2013) Electrification of offshore petroleum installations with offshore wind integration. Renewable Energy. vol. 50.
- (2013) Transmission planning for wind energy in the United States and Europe: status and prospects. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment. vol. 2 (1).
- (2012) Balancing Market Integration in the Northern European Continent: A 2030 Case Study. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. vol. 3 (4).
- (2012) A Case-Study on Offshore Wind Power Supply to Oil and Gas Rigs. Energy Procedia. vol. 24.
- (2012) Impact of Offshore Wind Power on System Adequacy in a Regional Hydro-based Power System with Weak Interconnections. Energy Procedia. vol. 24.
- (2012) Planning and Operation of Large Offshore Wind Farms in Areas with Limited Power Transfer Capacity. Wind Engineering : The International Journal of Wind Power. vol. 36 (1).
- (2011) A framework to determine optimal offshore grid structures for wind power integration and power exchange. Wind Energy. vol. 14 (8).
- (2008) Opportunities for hydrogen production in connection with wind power in weak grids. Renewable Energy. vol. 33.
- (2006) Operation Planning of Hydrogen Storage Connected to Win Power Operating in a Power Market. IEEE transactions on energy conversion. vol. 21 (3).
- (2003) Operation and sizing of energy storage for wind power plants in a market system. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 25.
Part of book/report
- (2013) Pumped Storage Hydropower. Transition to Renewable Energy Systems.
- (2012) Onshore and Offshore Transmission Expansion in the European Grid for Large Scale Wind Integration in the North Sea. CIGRE Session 44, 26th to 31st August 2012 : set of papers.
- (2011) Impact of system power losses on the value of an offshore grid for North Sea offshore wind. PowerTech 2011 Proceedings.
- (2009) Impact of TradeWind offshore wind power capacity scenarios on power flows in the European HV network. Wind power : alternative energy source. 7th International Workshop on Large Scale Integration of Wind Power and on Transmission Networks for Offshore Wind Farms.
- (2006) Increasing the network in-feed accuracy of wind turbines with energy storage devices. The 6th World Energy System Conference Proceedings.
- (2005) Assessment of isolated energy systems based on wind power and hydrogen storage in an artic environment. CIGRE Symposium Athens 2005 Power systems with dispersed generation.
- (2005) A Norwegian case study on the production of hydrogen from wind power. Proceedings of the 2nd European Hydrogen Energy Conference.
- (2005) Design of wind and hydrogen stand-alone power systems using a probalistic method. CIGRE Symposium Athens 2005 Power systems with dispersed generation.
- (2005) Probabilistic sizing of wind and hydrogen power systems for remote areas. PSCC 05 Proceedings 15th Power Systems Computation Conference.
- (2005) A logistic model for assesment of wind power combined with electrolytic hydrogen production in weak grids. PSCC 05 Proceedings 15th Power Systems Computation Conference.
- (2014) Energi- og miljøpåvirkning av elbil Systemanalyse med EMPS (Samkjøringsmodellen). 2014. ISBN 9788259435828. SINTEF Energi. Rapport (TR A7385).
- (2013) Evaluating North Sea grid alternatives under EU’s RES-E targets for 2020. 2013. ISBN 9788259435620. SINTEF Energi. Rapport (TR A7325).
- (2006) Hydrogen Production from Wind Power in Weak Grids. 2006.
- (2015) Norwegian pumped hydro for providing peaking power in a low-carbon European power market – Cost comparison against OCGT and CCGT. EEM15 : 12th INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON THE EUROPEAN ENERGY MARKET . ISEL; Lisboa. 2015-05-19 - 2015-05-22.
- (2014) Norge er Europas billigste batteri. adressa.no [Internett]. 2014-10-30.
- (2014) Utsirahøyden: - Staten bør betale for offshore strømnett og vindmøller. Stavanger Aftenblad [Avis]. 2014-04-04.
- (2014) Norwegian pumped hydro for providing peak load power in Northern Europe: Cost comparison against OCGT. Renewable Energy Research Conference 2014 . Universitetet i Oslo / SFFE; Oslo. 2014-06-16 - 2014-06-18.
- (2014) North Sea Offshore Network - NSON. EERA DeepWind'2014 Deep Sea Offshore Wind R&D Conference . SINTEF Energi; Trondheim. 2014-01-22 - 2014-01-24.
- (2014) Nærmere et supernett. Energiteknikk s.7 [Fagblad]. 2014-11-10.
- (2014) Norge er Europas billigste batteri. adressa.no [Internett]. 2014-10-28.
- (2013) Pumped Storage Hydropower. 3rd International Conference on Energy Process Engineering . DECHEMA; Frankfurt am Main. 2013-06-04 - 2013-06-06.
- (2013) Hydro and balancing - Flexible generation and storage from Norwegian hydropower to balance variable renewable energy. 6. Niedersäschische Energietage . Energie-Forschungszentrum Niedersachsen; Gosler. 2013-10-16 - 2013-10-17.
- (2013) Pumped storage hydropower in Norway - Flexible generation and storage to balance variable renewable energy. DTU International Energy Conference 2013 . Denmark Technical University (DTU); Lyngby. 2013-09-10 - 2013-09-12.
- (2012) Opportunities and challenges for hydropower development in the high north. Polar Might - Energies of the High North . Arctic Frontiers 2012; Tromsø. 2012-01-22 - 2012-01-27.
- (2006) Hydrogen Production from Wind Power in Weak Grids. Nordic Wind Power Conference, 2006 . Nordic Wind Power Conference, 2006; Espoo. 2006-05-22 - 2006-05-23.
- (2006) Planning and operation of large wind farms in areas with limited power transfer capacity. EWEC 2006 European Wind Energy Conference . EWEC 2006 European Wind Energy Conference; Athen. 2006-02-27 - 2006-03-02.
- (2006) Opportunities for Hydrogen Storage in connection with Stochastic Distributed Generation. Conference on Prohabilistic Methods Applies to Power Systems . 9th International Conference on Prohabilistic Methods Applie; Stockholm. 2006-06-11 - 2006-06-15.
- (2006) Increasing the network in-feed accuracy of wind turbines with energy storage devices. The Sixth World Energy System Conference . The Sixth World Energy System Conference; Torino. 2006-07-10 - 2006-07-12.
- (2006) Using storage devices for compensating uncertainties caused by non-dispatchable generators. 9th International Conference on Probalistic Methods Applied to Power Systems, KTH . KTH; Stockholm. 2006-06-11 - 2006-06-15.
- (2005) Assessment of isolated energy systems based on wind power and hydrogen storage in an arctic environment. CIGRE Symposium - Power systems with dispersed generation . CIGRE; Athen. 2005-04-13 - 2005-04-16.