Background and activities
Professor in Physical Metallurgy
Master in Materials Science from Marche Polytechnic University (Italy) in March 2002.
PhD in Physical Metallurgy from NTNU in November 2005.
Visiting PhD student at MPI, Worchester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) in Worcester, MA (USA) from Jan-July 2004.
Research and Senior Research Scientist at SINTEF Materials and Chemistry between 2007 and 2010.
Associate Professor in Physical Metallurgy 2010-2016.
Professor in Physical Metallurgy 2017-
Research fields and fields of interest:
-Crystallization and solidification of solar cell silicon
-Advanced characterization methods for solar cell silicon
-Glow Discharge Spectrometry
-Castability of light alloys
-Solidification and characterization of Al- and Al foundry alloys
-May 2008: Young Research Presentation Award at 4th International conference on Crystal Growth and Crystal Technology of silicon and semiconductors (CGCT-4) in Sendai (Japan).
-November 2006: Aldo Daccò Award from AIM (Italian Association of Metallurgy) for the PhD thesis work.
-June 2005: 2nd Best Student Presentation Award during the Advances in Solidification Processes (ICASP) in Stockholm (Sweden).
-May 2004: Håkon Styri Fellowship Award given by the Norwegian Metallurgy Associatiton (Norsk Metallurgisk Selskap) for my research work.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) High performance multicrystalline silicon: Grain structure and iron precipitation. Journal of Applied Physics. vol. 122 (13).
- (2017) Surface passivation properties of HfO2 thin film on n-Type crystalline Si. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics. vol. 7 (2).
- (2017) Defect related radiative recombination in mono-like crystalline silicon wafers. Physica Status Solidi (a) applications and materials science. vol. 214 (8).
- (2017) Performance of Al-5Ti-1B master alloy after ball milling on minimizing hot tearing in Al-7Si-3Cu alloy. Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals. vol. 70 (3).
- (2017) Impurity control in high performance multicrystalline silicon. Physica Status Solidi (a) applications and materials science. vol. 214 (7).
- (2016) Grain boundary effect on lifetime in high performance multicrystalline silicon during solar cell processing. Physica Status Solidi. C, Current topics in solid state physics. vol. 13 (10-12).
- (2016) The impact of oxygen precipitation on dislocation generation at small angle grain boundaries during seed-assisted directional solidification of silicon. Physica Status Solidi (a) applications and materials science. vol. 213 (1).
- (2016) X-ray Microprobe Investigation of Iron During a Simulated Silicon Feedstock Extraction Process. Metallurgical and materials transactions. B, process metallurgy and materials processing science. vol. 47 (6).
- (2016) Electronic properties of a-SiOx Ny:H/SiN x stacks for surface passivation of P-type crystalline Si wafers. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics. vol. 6 (5).
- (2016) Double Layers of Ultrathin a-Si:H and SiNx for Surface Passivation of n-type Crystalline Si Wafers. Energy Procedia. vol. 92.
- (2016) Thermal stability of hydrogenated amorphous silicon passivation for p-type crystalline silicon. Physica Status Solidi (a) applications and materials science. vol. 213 (1).
- (2016) Microstructure of multicrystalline silicon seeded by polysilicon chips and fluidized bed reactor granules. Journal of Crystal Growth. vol. 441.
- (2016) The Effect of Phosphorus Gettering on Fine-Grained Multicrystalline Silicon. Proceedings of the European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference.
- (2016) Beta-Si3N4 particles as nucleation sites in multicrystalline silicon. Acta Materialia. vol. 109.
- (2016) Identification of defects causing performance degradation of high temperature n-type Czochralski silicon bifacial solar cells. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells. vol. 153.
- (2016) Investigation of different cases of dislocation generation during industrial Cz silicon pulling. Physica Status Solidi. C, Current topics in solid state physics. vol. 13 (10-12).
- (2016) Defects in multicrystalline Si wafers studied by spectral photoluminescence imaging, combined with EBSD and dislocation mapping. Energy Procedia. vol. 92.
- (2016) The effect of holding time on the size distribution of β-Si3N4 particles and nucleation undercooling in multicrystalline silicon. Physica Status Solidi. C, Current topics in solid state physics. vol. 13 (10-12).
- (2016) Majority Carrier Mobility of Compensated Silicon: Comparison of Room Temperature Measurements and Models. Energy Procedia. vol. 92.
- (2015) Dislocation generation at near-coincidence site lattice grain boundaries during silicon directional solidification. Journal of Crystal Growth. vol. 411.