Background and activities
Process metallurgist with extensive non-ferrous and light metal experience (Cu, Ni, Zn, Mg, and Al) and knowledgeable in electric furnace design.
Experienced in first-of-a-kind metallurgical plants and commercialization of new technology, including technology and financial risk management. More than 20 years of experience in the metallurgical industry (nickel, ferro-nickel, zinc, copper, magnesium, aluminium and materials) in plant operations, project engineering and applied research.
Areas of Experience:
- Process engineering – Flowsheets and modelling (Metsim®), mass-energy balances, P&ID’s, instrumentation selection, process control functional descriptions, HAZOP, standard operating procedures, materials of construction, continuous improvement
- Finite element modelling (COMSOL® 4.2a) of liquid and induction systems including computational fluid dynamics, AC/DC, magneto-hydrodynamics and heat transfer
- Induction heating – Coil design, work piece power, resistance, inductance, and impedance
- Slag resistance furnace design – Prediction of resistance, electrode sizing, required transformer current-voltage range, estimation of thermal efficiency, cooled copper block design, high intensity operation, refractory and cooling systems
- Smelting technology – Nickel Smelting Technology, Rotary Kiln Electric Furnace FeNi, Carbothermic aluminium, Spent aluminium pot lining, Mitsubishi process, Noranda reactor
- Fluid particle technology – Flash drying, calcining, roasters, fluid beds, cyclones, classifiers
- Pneumatic conveying and materials handling – Dense and dilute phase, screening, conveyors, airslides, bucket elevators, solids metering devices, storage bins and silos, etc.
- Industrial gas cleaning – Electrostatic precipitators, baghouses, cyclones, acid plants
- Magnesium production – Magnola Process, preparation of anhydrous magnesium chloride
- Hydrometallurgy – Mixing and leaching, autoclaves, membrane technology
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Analysis on Experimental Investigation and Mathematical Modeling of Incompressible Flow Through Ceramic Foam Filters. Metallurgical and materials transactions. B, process metallurgy and materials processing science. vol. 47 (4).
- (2016) Reduction kinetics of commercial haematite pellet in a fixed bed at 1123-1273 K. Ironmaking & steelmaking. vol. 43 (5).
- (2016) Reduction of commercial hematite pellet in isothermal fixed bed-experiments and numerical modelling. Ironmaking & steelmaking. vol. 43 (1).
- (2016) Design of square induction coils for the electromagnetic priming of ceramic foam filters. Light Metals. vol. 2016-January.
- (2015) An investigation on permeability of ceramic foam filters (CFF). Light Metals. vol. 2015-January.
- (2015) Effect of electromagnetic fields on the priming of high grade Ceramic Foam Filters (CFF) with liquid aluminum. Light Metals. vol. 2015-January.
- (2015) Impact of Coil Geometry on Magnetohydrodynamic Flow in Liquid Aluminium and Its Relevance to Inclusion Separation by Electromagnetophoresis. Journal for Manufacturing Science and Production. vol. 15 (1).
- (2014) Empirical Verification of a Short-Coil Correction Factor. IEEE transactions on industrial electronics (1982. Print). vol. 61 (5).
- (2013) Electromagnetically Modified Filtration of Aluminum Melts — Part I: Electromagnetic Theory and 30 PPI Ceramic Foam Filter Experimental Results. Metallurgical and materials transactions. B, process metallurgy and materials processing science. vol. 44 (3).
- (2013) Characterization of Ceramic Foam Filters Used for Liquid Metal Filtration. Metallurgical and materials transactions. B, process metallurgy and materials processing science. vol. 44 (3).
- (2012) ANALYTICAL AND FEM MODELING OF ALUMINUM BILLET INDUCTION HEATING WITH EXPERIMENTAL VERIFICATION. Light Metals.
- (2012) Risk-weighted cash flow: a communication tool for engineers and financial professionals on new technology projects. CIM Journal. vol. 3 (4).
- (2000) Chlorination of Magnesium Carbonate in a Stirred Tank Reactor. Canadian metallurgical quarterly. vol. 39 (3).
- (1995) Salt Extraction from Hydrogen-Sulphide Scrubber Solution Using Electrodialysis. AIChE Journal. vol. 4 (5).
Part of book/report
- (2015) Some Considerations for Safer Furnace Cooling. Managing Furnace Integrity for Reliable Metal Production.
- (2015) Apatite Concentrate, A Potential New Source of Rare Earth Elements. Rare Metal Technology.
- (2014) Metallurgical Plant Optimization Through the use of Flowsheet Simulation Modelling. Celebrating the Megascale: Proceedings of the Extraction and Processing Division Symposium on Pyrometallurgy in Honor of David G.C. Robertson.
- (2013) Electromagnetic Priming of Ceramic Foam Filters (CFF) for Liquid Aluminium Filtration. Light Metals 2013.
- (2013) Automated Quantification of SiC-Particles in Solidified A356 Aluminium using ImagePro Plus® 7.0. Characterization of Minerals, Metals, and Materials 2013 Jiann-Yang Hwang.
- (2013) Slag Furnaces – Some Issues for Optimal Design and Operation. Ralph Lloyd Harris Memorial Symposium.