Background and activities
Founding Director of Centre for Neural Computation and Co-Director of the Kavlil Institute for Systems Neuroscience. PhD in neurophysiology, University of Oslo 1995.
May-Britt Moser is interested in the neural basis of spatial location and spatial specifically and cognition more generally. Her work, conducted with Edvard Moser as a long-term collaborator, includes the discovery of grid cells in the entorhinal cortex, as well as several additional space-representing cell types in the same circuit.
Her group is beginning to unravel the functional organization of the grid-cell circuit as well as its contribution to memory formation in the hippocampus.
May-Britt Moser was a co-Founder of the Centre for the Biology of Memory, a Research Council-funded Centre of Excellence from 2003 to 2012, and has taken on the Directorship of the Centre for Neural Computation, with a life time from 2013 to 2022.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Network mechanisms of grid cells. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. vol. 369 (1635).
- (2013) Grid cells require excitatory drive from the hippocampus. Nature Neuroscience. vol. 16 (3).
- (2013) Recurrent inhibitory circuitry as a mechanism for grid formation. Nature Neuroscience. vol. 16 (3).
- (2013) Impaired hippocampal rate coding after lesions of the lateral entorhinal cortex. Nature Neuroscience. vol. 16 (8).
- (2013) Grid Cells and Neural Coding in High-End Cortices. Neuron. vol. 80 (3).
- (2013) Traces of Experience in the Lateral Entorhinal Cortex. Current Biology. vol. 23 (5).
- (2013) Optogenetic Dissection of Entorhinal-Hippocampal Functional Connectivity. Science. vol. 340 (6128).
- (2012) The entorhinal grid map is discretized. Nature. vol. 492 (7427).
- (2012) Functional Split between Parietal and Entorhinal Cortices in the Rat. Neuron. vol. 73 (4).
- (2011) Grid cells use HCN1 channels for spatial scaling. Cell. vol. 147 (5).
- (2011) Theta-paced flickering between place-cell maps in the hippocampus. Nature. vol. 478 (7368).
- (2010) Grid cells in pre- and parasubiculum. Nature Neuroscience. vol. 13 (8).
- (2010) Development of the Spatial Representation System in the Rat. Science. vol. 328 (5985).
- (2009) Frequency of gamma oscillations routes flow of information in the hippocampus. Nature. vol. 462 (7271).
- (2009) Fragmentation of grid cell maps in a multicompartment environment. Nature Neuroscience. vol. 12 (10).
- (2008) Understanding memory through hippocampal remapping. TINS - Trends in Neurosciences. vol. 31 (9).
- (2008) Grid cells in mice. Hippocampus. vol. 18 (12).
- (2008) Hippocampus-independent phase precession in entorhinal grid cells. Nature. vol. 453.
- (2008) Finite scale of spatial representation in the hippocampus. Science. vol. 321.
- (2008) Place cells, grid cells, and the brain's spatial representation system. Annual Review of Neuroscience. vol. 31.
- (2008) Representation of geometric borders in the entorhinal cortex. Science. vol. 322 (5909).
- (2007) Hippocampal remapping and grid realignment in entorhinal cortex. Nature. vol. 446.
- (2007) Pattern separation in the dentate gyrus and CA3 of the hippocampus. Science. vol. 315.