Background and activities
Master & PhD degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the University of California and the Norwegian University of Science.
Heat Pump Drying - Dr. Alves-Filho's new Book
Professor and Chair for the advanced PhD course in Heat and Mass Transport in Porous Media. As an educator he co-authored the Ramalho and Alves-Filho Model that is applied for systematic analysis, evaluation and formulation of educational objectives in engineering teaching and learning. He is a prize winner in R&D innovation and engineering education holding more than 10 awards from recognized institutions in Europe, Asia and Americas. This includes “Excellence in Drying of 2000” in the Netherlands and “Distinguished Professor Award of 2011” in Russia. His efforts has extended the known border of R&D in the field and contributed to the design of modern drying processes for a sustainable society. Professor Alves-Filho is the author of about 300 journal and conference articles, several book chapters, two books and is the editor of eight academic proceedings. He holds 16 patents on new drying systems that are applied to industry with the vision to enhance the product-process quality, to benefit the environment and to save energy. He is a founder of the successful Nordic Drying Conference series in 2001 and he has expanded it to Nordic-Baltic Drying Conference series in 2012. A former Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical-Electrical Engineering, Head of the Center of Excellence in Dewatering and CEO of Innovative Drying Tech.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Microstructural Changes of Apples (Granny Smith) During Drying: Visual Microstructural Changes and Possible Explanation from Capillary Pressure Data. Drying Technology. vol. 32 (14).
- (2013) Influence of drying conditions on the moisture diffusion and fluidization quality during multi-stage fluidized bed drying of bovine intestine for pet food. Food and Bioproducts Processing. vol. 91 (4).
- (2013) Microwave Vacuum-Assisted Drying of Green Peas Using Heat Pump and Fluidized Bed: A Comparative Study Between Atmospheric Freeze Drying and Hot Air Convective Drying. Drying Technology. vol. 31 (6).
- (2013) A multi-stage combined heat pump and microwave vacuum drying of green peas. Journal of Food Engineering. vol. 115 (3).
- (2012) Microwave-Assisted Atmospheric Freeze Drying of Green Peas: A Case Study. Drying Technology. vol. 30 (14).
- (2012) Influence of Atmospheric Sublimation and Evaporation on the Heat Pump Fluid Bed Drying of Bovine Intestines. Drying Technology. vol. 30 (14).
- (2010) Conference Report: Report on the Fourth Nordic Drying Conference (NDC 2009) Norwegian University of Science and Technology Trondheim, Norway June 17–19, 2009. Drying Technology. vol. 28 (2).
- (2010) Sweep numerical method and mass transport analysis in atmospheric freeze drying of protein particles. Heat and Mass Transfer. vol. 46 (8-9).
- (2008) Heat Pump Kinetics of Spanish Cheese. International Journal of Food Engineering. vol. 4 (6).
- (2008) Single- and Multistage Heat Pump Drying of Protein. Drying Technology. vol. 26 (4).
- (2008) Single- and multistage heat pump drying of protein. Drying Technology. vol. 26 (4).
- (2008) Secado en Doble Etapa de Polvos Proteínicos con Bomba de Calor: Comportamiento Cinético y Rendimiento Energético. Frio, Calor y Aire Acondicionado. vol. 36 (11).
- (2007) Kinetics and Mass Transfer during Atmospheric Freeze Drying of Red Pepper. Drying Technology. vol. 25 (7 & 8).
- (2004) Liofilization of green-peas at atmospheric pressure. Alimentación, equipos y tecnología.
- (2004) Physical properties in drying of food products with combined sublimation and evaporation. Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering. vol. 12.
- (2002) Heat pump drying. Drying Technology. vol. 20 (8).
- (1996) The application of heat pump in drying of biomaterials. Drying Technology. vol. 14 (9).
- (2017) Second Nordic Baltic Drying Conference, 7-9.June 2017, Hamburg, Germany : Proceedings. 2017. ISBN 978-82-92739-12-9.
- (2016) Heat Pump Dryers. CRC Press. 2016. ISBN 978-1-4987-1133-3.
- (2015) Heat Pump Dryers: Theory, Design and Industrial Applications. 2015. ISBN 978-1-4987-1133-3.