Postal addressDepartment of Electric Power Engineering Norwegian University of Science and Technology 7491 Trondheim Norway
Olav B Fosso
- Other electrotechnical sciences
- Electrical power engineering
- Power system stability
- Hydro scheduling
- Transmission network analysis
- Operation research
- Electricity markets
- Congestion management
Background and activities
Professor at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) since 2002. He was Head of department of Electric Power Engineering from August 2009 until August 2013. He holds a part-time position at SINTEF Energy as Scientific Advisor. Before 2002 he worked at SINTEF Energy on development of methods/principles for utilization of renewable energy in electricity markets and transmission network utilization. He has been a member of many international working groups, and he is currently chairman of CIGRE SC C5 Electricity Markets and Regulation and member of CIGRE Technical Committee. He is the NTNU's Board member of NOWITECH (Norwegian Research Centre for Offshore Wind Technology). The research activities involve offshore grid and market integration of intermittent generation.
He is responsible at NTNU for:
- The new Erasmus Mundus Program on Wind Energy. This is a program operated jointly with DTU (Denmark), TU Delft (Netherland) and University of Oldenburg (Germany).
- The activity of the Joint Research Centre with Shanghai Jiao Tong University related to Smartgrids and Offshore Wind.
- The collaboration with TU Berlin within Smartgrids.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2013) A classification of DC node voltage control methods for HVDC grids. Electric power systems research. volum 103.
- (2011) Electricity Markets and regulation SC C5 Annual report. ELECTRA.
- (2011) Interface between System Operators and Regulators 474 Technical brochure JWG C2/C5.05. ELECTRA.
- (2011) Technical Aspects of the North Sea Super Grid. ELECTRA.
- (2010) Flow Based Activation of Reserves in the Nordic Power System. IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting.
- (2010) Simplified models of a single-phase power electronic inverter for railway power system stability analysis—Development and evaluation. Electric power systems research. volum 80 (2).
- (2007) Application and required developments of dynamic models to support practical planning. CIGRE WG C1.04. ELECTRA.
Part of book/report
- (2013) Electric Vehicles Charging in a Smart Microgrid Supplied with Wind Energy. PowerTech (POWERTECH), 2013.
- (2013) Control system tuning and stability analysis of Virtual Synchronous Machines. 2013 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE).
- (2013) adf. Electrical Design for Ocean Wave and Tidal Energy Systems.
- (2013) Grid integration: part I - Power system interactions of wave energy generators. Electrical Design for Ocean Wave and Tidal Energy Systems.
- (2013) Optimal bidding in sequential physical markets – a literature review and framework discussion. 2013 IEEE Grenoble PowerTech.
- (2013) A method for optimizing the offer price of collaborative power generators. PowerTech (POWERTECH), 2013.
- (2012) Benefits of asymmetric HVDC links for large scale offshore wind integration. Power and Energy Society General Meeting, 2012 IEEE.
- (2012) Active power control with undead-band voltage & frequency droop applied to a meshed DC grid test tystem. Conference proceedings; Energycon 2012 IEEE International Energy Conference & Exhibition.
- (2011) A European Supergrid: Present State and Future Challenges. Proceeding - 17th Power Systems Computations Conference PSCC 2011.
- (2010) Application of linear analysis in railway power system stability studies. Power Supply, Energy Management and Catenary Problems.
- (2009) Use of participation factors and parameter sensitivities in study and improvement of low-frequency stability between electrical rail vehicle and power supply. Proceedings of the 13th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, EPE2009.
- (2009) Constant power load charecteristic's influence on the low-frequency interaction between advanced electrical rail vehicle and railway traction power supply with rotary converters. 9th International Conference, Modern Electric Traction MET'2009, Conference Proceedings.
- (2008) Application of linear analysis in traction power system stability studies. Computers in Railways XI: Computer System Design and Operation in the Railway and Other Transit Systems.