Olav B FossoProfessor, Director of NTNU's Strategic Thematic Area Energy IME faculty administration Faculty of Information Technology, Mathematics and Electrical Engineering Faculty of Information Technology, Mathematics and Electrical Engineering
email@example.com +47 73594242 +47 99589248
Background and activities
- Professor at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) since 2002.
- From 1. Sept 2014: Director of Strategic Thematic Area Energy at NTNU.
- Head of department of Electric Power Engineering from August 2009 until August 2013.
- Until 2002: SINTEF Energy on development of methods/principles for utilization of renewable energy in electricity markets and transmission network utilization.
- International: Member of many international working groups, and he has been the chairman of CIGRE SC C5 Electricity Markets and Regulation and member of CIGRE Technical Committee (2008 - 2014) and is now a "Honorary Member of CIGRE".
- Chairman of the Board of NOWITECH (Norwegian Research Centre for Offshore Wind Technology) (2015 - )
- Board member of Energy21 (Norwegian National Strategy for Research, Development, Demonstration and Commercialisation of new Enegy Technology)
- Research activities involve offshore grid and market integration of intermittent generation.
He is responsible at NTNU for:
- Coordination of international initiatives in research and education within the energy field
- Coordination of national research initiatives as "Centres for Environmenally Friendly Energy (FME)"
- Development of research and education initiatives with international strategic partners
- Further development of NTNUs participation within Horizon2020 and the European Research Area.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) A Virtual synchronous machine implementation for distributed control of power transformers in SmartGrids. Electric power systems research. vol. 122.
- (2014) Automatic Tuning of Cascaded Controllers for Power Converters using Eigenvalue Parametric Sensitivities. IEEE transactions on industry applications. vol. 51 (2).
- (2014) Cross-border Transfer of Electric Power Under Uncertainty: A Game of Incomplete Information. Energy Procedia. vol. 53.
- (2014) A Postgraduate Course for Engineers Finds its Form. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity and Change. vol. 1 (3).
- (2013) A classification of DC node voltage control methods for HVDC grids. Electric power systems research. vol. 103.
- (2011) Electricity Markets and regulation SC C5 Annual report. ELECTRA.
- (2011) Interface between System Operators and Regulators 474 Technical brochure JWG C2/C5.05. ELECTRA.
- (2011) Technical Aspects of the North Sea Super Grid. ELECTRA.
- (2010) Flow Based Activation of Reserves in the Nordic Power System. IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting.
- (2010) Simplified models of a single-phase power electronic inverter for railway power system stability analysis—Development and evaluation. Electric power systems research. vol. 80 (2).
- (2007) Application and required developments of dynamic models to support practical planning. CIGRE WG C1.04. ELECTRA.
Part of book/report
- (2014) Stability analysis of interconnected AC power systems with multi-terminal DC grids based on the Cigré DC grid test system. IET Renewable Power Generation Conference (RPG™) 2014.
- (2014) Implementing Hydropower Scheduling in a European Expansion Planning Model. Renewable Energy Research Conference, RERC 2014.
- (2014) Small-Signal Modelling and Parametric Sensitivity of a Virtual Synchronous Machine. 18th Power system Computations Conference - PSCC 2014.
- (2014) Moving towards the Smart Grid: The Norwegian Case. The 2014 International Power Electronics Conference.
- (2014) Small-Signal Stability Study of the Cigré DC Grid Test System with Analysis of Participation Factors and Parameter Sensitivity of Oscillatory Modes. 18th Power system Computations Conference - PSCC 2014.
- (2013) Electric Vehicles Charging in a Smart Microgrid Supplied with Wind Energy. PowerTech (POWERTECH), 2013.
- (2013) Control system tuning and stability analysis of Virtual Synchronous Machines. 2013 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE).
- (2013) adf. Electrical Design for Ocean Wave and Tidal Energy Systems.
- (2013) Grid integration: part I - Power system interactions of wave energy generators. Electrical Design for Ocean Wave and Tidal Energy Systems.