Background and activities
Pasi Aalto (M.Arch) is an assistant professor at the Department of Architectural Design, History and Technology, where his work focuses on the use of Computer Aided Workflows in architechtural education and research. Pasi works directly with students from bachelor and master degree levels, with work ranging from simple software use to entire masters degree courses focusing on specific aspects within his field of work, such as prefabricated 1:1 structures for CNC processes and parametric generation of complex geometry.
Pasis field of study focuses on the aspects of inputs and outputs in parametric systems and the processing of data through such systems. This work ranges from generating digital data from real life situations, such as 3D scanning, sensor networks and public data structures to CNC fabrication, assembly and 1:1 scale built structures.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Sauna på Østmarkneset. 1:1 Bygging med arkitektstudenter. NTNU. 2015.
- (2013) Vrimmel - Kunstnerisk utsmykning ved Strinda VGS, Trondheim. Ingen. 2013.
Part of book/report
- (2016) Phases of intensive design and build workshops in architectural education. Structures and Architecture Beyond their Limits.
- (2013) The advantage of full-size construction as an educational tool in architecture education. Structures and Architecture – Concepts, Applications and Challenges.
- (2012) Researc by design - A study of main differences in architectural expression, timber engineering and interaction between these when digital modelling is compared with physical modelling as design tool. World Conference on Timber Engineering WCTE2012, Final Papers, Strength and Serviceability - Extreme Events.
- (2016) Hva kjennetegner norsk samtidsarkitektur i tre?. Den fjerde nasjonale trearkitekturkonferansen . TreFokus, NAL, NTNU, BAS, AHO, NMBU, TreTeknisk, Ark. bed.; AHO, Oslo. 2016-11-16 - 2016-11-16.
- (2015) Build & Design & Build & Design. ARCH Lecture Series . UC Berkeley - College of Environmental Design; Berkeley. 2015-03-18 - 2015-03-18.
- (2015) Data transfer from BIM to CNC. Forum Holzbau Nordic Växjö 2016 . Linneaus University / Forum Holzbau; Växjö. 2015-09-24 - 2015-09-25.
- (2015) Norwegian Wood Construction. Aalto Wood . Aalto University; Helsinki. 2015-05-13 - 2015-05-13.
- (2014) Aging of Wood. Wood Studio ; 2014-09-19 - 2014-09-19.
- (2014) Norwegian Wood Industry. Wood Studio ; 2014-09-22 - 2014-09-22.
- (2014) Prefabrikasjon og parametrsk design. Prosjektering av urban trearkitektur . Norske arkitekters landsforbund; Oslo. 2014-10-17 - 2014-10-17.
- (2014) Wood Building Strategies. Wood Studio . Aalto University; Otanniemi Campus. 2014-09-12 - 2014-09-12.
- (2013) Fabrication Centric Design Tools. Wood Build Norway 2013 . SINTEF Byggforsk; Arkitektenes Hus, Oslo. 2013-06-12 - 2013-06-12.