Background and activities
Paul Jarle Mork (1969) is a Professor at the Department of Public Health and General Practice. He is leading the EU funded project selfBACK and is a member of the musculoskeletal research group.
Main topics of research
- Lifestyle factors and health with special focus on musculoskeletal disorders.
- Physiological mechanisms related to the development of musculoskeletal disorders.
- Rehabilitation of musculoskeletal disorders.
- Sports and musculoskeletal health.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Familial risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain and the importance of physical activity and body mass index: Prospective data from the HUNT study, Norway. PLoS ONE. vol. 11 (4).
- (2015) Micro movements of the upper limb in fibromyalgia: The relation to proprioceptive accuracy and visual feedback. Journal of Electromyography & Kinesiology. vol. 26 (1).
- (2015) Aerobic and cardiovascular autonomic adaptations to moderate intensity endurance exercise in patients with fibromyalgia. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. vol. 47 (7).
- (2015) Neck/upper back and low back pain in parents and their adult offspring: Family linkage data from the Norwegian HUNT Study. European Journal of Pain. vol. 19 (6).
- (2014) Should physical activity recommendation depend on state of low back pain?. European Journal of Pain. vol. 18 (4).
- (2014) Hours lying down per day and mortality from all-causes and cardiovascular disease: the HUNT Study, Norway. European Journal of Epidemiology. vol. 29 (8).
- (2014) Parental chronic pain in relation to chronic pain in their adult offspring: Family-linkage within the HUNT Study, Norway. BMC Public Health. vol. 14 (1).
- (2014) Sleep problems, exercise and obesity and risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain: The Norwegian HUNT study. European Journal of Public Health. vol. 24 (6).
- (2013) Metabolic rate, cardiac response, and aerobic capacity in fibromyalgia: A case-control study. Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology. vol. 42 (5).
- (2013) Occupational physical activity, mentabolic syndrome andr risk of death from all causes and cardiovascular disease in the HUNT 2 cohort study. Occupational and Environmental Medicine. vol. 70 (2).
- (2013) Physical exercise, body mass index and risk of chronic arm pain: Longitudinal data on an adult population in Norway. European Journal of Pain. vol. 17 (8).
- (2013) Heart rate variability in fibromyalgia patients and healthy controls during non-REM and REM sleep: a case–control study. Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology. vol. 42 (6).
- (2013) Trapezius activity of fibromyalgia patients is enhanced in stressful situations, but is similar to healthy controls in a quiet naturalistic setting: a case-control study. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. vol. 14.
- (2012) Upper limb position control in fibromyalgia. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. vol. 13 (186).
- (2012) Effect of body mass index and physical exercise on risk of knee and hip osteoarthritis: longitudinal data from the Norwegian HUNT Study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. vol. 66 (8).
- (2012) Sleep problems and risk of fibromyalgia: Longitudinal data on an adult female population in Norway. Arthritis and Rheumatism. vol. 64 (1).
- (2012) Sleep problems and risk of fibromyalgia-untenable conclusions: comment on the article by Mork et al Reply. Arthritis and Rheumatism. vol. 64 (5).
- (2012) The effect of warm-up and cool-down exercise on delayed onset muscle soreness in the quadriceps muscle: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Human Kinetics. vol. 35.
- (2012) Catecholamines and heart rate in female fibromyalgia patients. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. vol. 72 (1).
- (2012) Comparison of the cortisol awakening response in women with shoulder and neck pain and women with fibromyalgia. Psychoneuroendocrinology. vol. 37 (2).
- (2012) Effect of core stability exercises on feedforward activation of deep abdominal muscles in chronic low back pain: A randomized controlled trial. Spine. vol. 37 (13).
- (2011) Physical Exercise, Body Mass Index, and Risk of Chronic Pain in the Low Back and Neck/Shoulders: Longitudinal Data From the Nord-Trøndelag Health Study. American Journal of Epidemiology. vol. 174 (3).
- (2011) The effect of delayed onset of muscle soreness on habitual trapezius activity. European Journal of Pain. vol. 15 (6).
- (2010) The use of EMG biofeedback for learning of selective activation of intra-muscular parts within the serratus anterior muscle: A novel approach for rehabilitation of scapular muscle imbalance. Journal of Electromyography & Kinesiology. vol. 20 (2).
- (2010) Association between physical exercise, body mass index, and risk of fibromyalgia: Longitudinal data from the Norwegian Nord-Trøndelag Health Study. Arthritis Care and Research. vol. 62 (5).
- (2010) The stress systems in women with fibromyalgia are dysregulated. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. vol. 17.
- (2010) Fibromyalgia syndrome is associated with hypocortisolism. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. vol. 17 (3).
- (2010) Location and sequence of muscle onset in deep abdominal muscles measured by different modes of ultrasound imaging. Journal of Electromyography & Kinesiology. vol. 20 (5).
- (2009) Selective activation of neuromuscular compartments within the human trapezius muscle. Journal of Electromyography & Kinesiology. vol. 19 (5).
- (2009) Back posture and low back muscle activity in female computer workers: A field study. Clinical Biomechanics. vol. 24 (2).
- (2009) The effect of an intensive exercise programme on leg function in chronic stroke patients: a pilot study with one-year follow-up. Clinical Rehabilitation. vol. 23 (9).
- (2007) The influence of body posture, arm movement, and work stress on trapezius activity during computer work. European Journal of Applied Physiology. vol. 101 (4).
- (2006) High frame-rate ultrasound imaging to access motor control. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy.
- (2006) Low-amplitude trapezius activity in work and leisure and the relation to shoulder and neck pain. Journal of applied physiology. vol. 100.
- (2006) Muscle activity onset in the lumbar multifidus muscle recorded simultaneously by ultrasound imaging and intramuscular electromyography. Clinical Biomechanics. vol. 21 (9).
- (2005) Long-term electromyographic activity in upper trapezius and low back muscles of women with moderate physical activity. Journal of applied physiology. vol. 99.
- (2004) Firing patterns of low-threshold trapezius motor units in feedback-controlled contractions and vocational motor activities. Experimental Brain Research. vol. 158 (4).
- (2004) The association between nocturnal trapezius muscle activity and shoulder and neck pain. European Journal of Applied Physiology. vol. 92.
- (2003) Data mining of motor patterns recorded with wearable technology: Utilizing self-organizing maps to manage large data sets gathered in the field. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine. vol. 22.
- (2000) A quantitative comparison between accelerometry and cable operated position transduction in a simple rhythmical arm movement. Corpus, Psyche et Societas. vol. 7 (1-2).
- (1999) A dual approach to movement disorders. Corpus, Psyche et Societas. vol. 6 (2).