Background and activities
Holmestad (born in 1967) is a professor at Dept. of Physics NTNU (since 99).
Dr. Holmestad (born in 1967) is professor at Dept. of Physics NTNU (since 99). She is also an advisor for SINTEF Materials and Chemistry. Degrees: Dr. ing. (PhD) in materials physics, NTH, 1994, Siv. ing (MSc) in technical physics, NTH, 1991. Holmestad's present research interests are focussed on materials physics; transmission electron diffraction and microscopy (TEM), materials microstructure and the relation to macroscopic properties. Ongoing projects are on aluminium alloys, quantitative electron diffraction, hydrogen storage materials, solar cell materials, thermoelectric materials and new functional materials. She has educated 10 PhD students and 48 MSc students, in addition to co-supervision of 4 PhD students. Holmestad has had several sabbaticals abroad, latest 6 months in 2005 and 2012, both at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA. SCOPUS (January 2014): Cited documents = 133, Citations = 1029, h index = 18
She has initiated and been project leader for several externally funded projects over the past fifteen years, funded mainly by the Norwegian Research Council and Hydro Aluminium. The main research projects she have been involved in are Quantitative convergent beam electron diffraction (2000-03), the SUP Micro- and nanostructural materials development (2001-06), the NorLight project Heat treatment fundamentals (2001-07), the Industry initiated project Nucleation control for optimised properties (2007-12), the FRINAT project Fundamental investigations of clustering (2007-11), the Japanese-Norwegian Al-Mg-Si precipitation project (2009-14) and the FRINATEK project Fundamental investigations of precipitation in the solid state with focus on Al-based alloys (2013-17). In addition she has been leader of TEM Gemini Centre (SINTEF, NTNU) 2006, 2008-2013, and leader for a Nordic network within TEM in Nordforsk, NorTEMnet, 2010-2014. She was the project leader of NORTEM, Norwegian Centre of transmission electron microscopy, 2010-2013, a large scale infrastructure project in TEM, from SINTEF, UiO and NTNU (total project 115 MNOK, 2011-20).
- Electron microscopy and spectroscopy (TEM, HREM, EDS, EELS, STEM)
- Electron diffraction; Quantitative Convergent Beam electron Diffraction (CBED), Electron crystallography
- Microstructure characterization of inorganic materials, alloys and intermetallics, precipitation in aluminium alloys, hydrogen storage materials, functional oxides, solar cell materials, relationships between micro/nano-structure and properties of materials, bonding
- Modelling and simulations in materials physics; Solid state calculations
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) White light emitting silicon nano-crystals-polymeric hybrid films prepared by single batch solution based method. Thin Solid Films. vol. 603.
- (2016) Strengthening mechanisms in ultrafine grained Al-Mg-Si alloy processed by hydrostatic extrusion – Influence of ageing temperature. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 669.
- (2016) Effect of polar (111)-oriented SrTiO3 on initial perovskite growth. Crystal Growth & Design.
- (2016) Precipitation in an Al-Mg-Cu alloy and the effect of a low amount of Ag. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 658.
- (2016) Elemental electron energy loss mapping of a precipitate in a multi-component aluminium alloy. Micron. vol. 86.
- (2016) Compositional and structural properties of pulsed laser-deposited ZnS:Cr films. Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing. vol. 122 (84).
- (2016) Cu atoms suppress misfit dislocations at the β″/Al interface in Al-Mg-Si alloys. Scripta Materialia. vol. 110.
- (2016) Precipitation in a mixed Al-Cu-Mg/Al-Zn-Mg alloy system. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. vol. 684.
- (2016) Accurately measured precipitate–matrix misfit in an Al–Mg–Si alloy by electron microscopy. Scripta Materialia. vol. 118.
- (2015) Structural investigation of epitaxial LaFeO_3 thin films on (111) oriented SrTiO_3 by transmission electron microscopy. Journal of Physics, Conference Series. vol. 644:012002.
- (2015) Combining HAADF STEM tomography and electron diffraction for studies of α-Al(Fe,Mn)Si dispersoids in 3xxx aluminium alloys. Philosophical Magazine. vol. 95 (7).
- (2015) Effects of Germanium, Copper, and Silver Substitutions on Hardness and Microstructure in Lean Al-Mg-Si Alloys. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions. A. vol. 46 (9).
- (2015) The effect of Cu and Ge additions on strength and precipitation in a lean 6xxx aluminium alloy. Journal of Physics, Conference Series. vol. 644:012028.
- (2015) Solute-Vacancy Clustering In Al-Mg-Si Alloys Studied By Muon Spin Relaxation Technique. Archives of Metallurgy and Materials. vol. 60.
- (2015) Structural phases driven by oxygen vacancies at the La0.7Sr0.3MnO3/SrTiO3 hetero-interface. Applied Physics Letters. vol. 106 (4).
- (2015) Structural modifications and electron beam damage in aluminium alloy precipitate θ'-Al2Cu. Philosophical Magazine. vol. 95 (31).
- (2015) A hybrid aluminium alloy and its zoo of interacting nano-precipitates. Materials Characterization. vol. 106.
- (2014) Quantum confinement of PbSe nanocrystals embedded in a spacer ZnSe matrix for solar cell applications. Solar Energy. vol. 106.
- (2014) 3D modelling of β'' in Al-Mg-Si: towards an atomistic level ab initio based examination of a full precipitate enclosed in a host lattice. Computational materials science. vol. 91.
- (2014) Interfacial and strain energy analysis from ab initio based hierarchical multi-scale modelling: the Al–Mg–Si alloy β'' phase. Materials Science Forum. vol. 794-796.