Background and activities
- Major Accident Risk - I have become more and more interested in understanding how and why major accidents occur and is fascinated by different perspectives on major accidents, proposed by different scientific disciplines.
- Monitoring accident risk - As part of the interest in major accidents, I am also trying to figure out ways of monitoring risk. Major accidents are (luckily!) very few and we need to find other ways of monitoring the risk than by counting accidents.
- Risk Analysis/Risk Modelling - I have worked with risk analysis, very much from a practical viewpoint but also from a more theoretical viewpoint, my whole working life. This is an interest that still is very much alive, with main focus on major accidents.
- Human and Organisational factors influence on risk - This is an area that I have become interested in over the last 5-10 years and forms and integral part of the focus on Major accident risk and risk analysis.
- 2010- Professor, Department of Production and Quality Engineering
- 2001-2010 R&D Manager, Safetec
- 2000-2010 Adjunct Professor, Department of Production and Quality Engineering, NTNU
- 1999-2001 Specialist Engineer, Safetec
- 1994-1999 Managing Director, Safetec
- 1991-1994 Department Manager, Safetec UK, Aberdeen
- 1988-1991 PhD student at NTNU
- 1984-1988 Safety Engineer, Safetec
Publications listed in the CRISTIN database
I am currently lecturing TPK5160 Risk Analysis during the autumn semester and a module in TPK4515 related to RAMS. Further, I am responsible for a PhD course PK8209 called Modelling and Analysis of Major Accidents. This is lectured in the autumn every second year (next autumn 2013). I am also responsible for a continuing education course PK6017 Risikoanalyse which is lectured in Norwegian
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Decisions and decision support for major accident prevention in the process industries. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 35.
- (2015) Complex accident scenarios modelled and analysed by Stochastic Petri Nets. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 142.
- (2015) Improving the Robustness and Resilience Properties of Maintenance. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. vol. 94 (C).
- (2015) Factors in offshore planning that affect the risk for major accidents. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 33.
- (2015) Classification of risk to support decision-making in hazardous processes. Safety Science. vol. 80.
- (2015) A distributed anti-collision decision support formulation in multi-ship encounter situations under COLREGs. Ocean Engineering. vol. 105.
- (2014) A study of maintenance-related major accident cases in the 21st century. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. vol. 92 (4).
- (2014) Application of Inherent Safety to Maintenance-related Major Accident Prevention on Offshore Installations. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 36.
- (2014) The implication of maintenance in major accident causation. Loss Prevention Bulletin.
- (2014) Safety management performance assessment for Martime Safety Administration (MSA) by using generalized belief rule base methodology. Safety Science. vol. 63 (March).
- (2013) Maintenance-related major accidents: Classification of causes and case study. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 26 (6).
- (2013) The Influence of Maintenance on Some Selected Major Accidents. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 31.
- (2013) Ship Trajectory Control Optimization in Anti-collision Maneuvering. TransNav, International Journal on Marine Navigation and Safety of Sea Transportation. vol. 7 (1).
- (2012) The Effect of Maintenance Seen From Different Perspectives on Major Accident Risk. IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management.
- (2009) Generalised methodology for operational risk analysis of offshore installations. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 223 (1).
- (2009) Generalized methodology for operational risk analysis of offshore installations. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 223 (O1).
Part of book/report
- (2015) Titanic viewed from different perspectives on major accidents. Safety and Reliability : Methodology and Applications: Proceedings of the European safety and reliability Conference, ESREL 2014, Poland, 14-18 september 2014.
- (2014) Improving proactive major accident prevention by new technology and work processes. Safety, reliability and risk analysis : beyond the horizon : proceedings of the European Safety and Reliability Conference, ESREL 2013, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 29 September-2 October 2013.
- (2014) Stochastic Coloured Petri Nets as a modelling language for complex Event Trees. Safety, reliability and risk analysis : beyond the horizon : proceedings of the European Safety and Reliability Conference, ESREL 2013, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 29 September-2 October 2013.
- (2014) Towards an understanding of information needed when planning offshore activities. Safety, reliability and risk analysis : beyond the horizon : proceedings of the European Safety and Reliability Conference, ESREL 2013, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 29 September-2 October 2013.