Postal addressDepartment of Biotechnology Norwegian University of Science and Technology 7491 Trondheim Norway
Background and activities
Areas of speciality/fields of responsibilityMy background is in the field of molecular genetics of microorganisms (prokaryotes) and I have several different reserach projects in this field. Much of the research is collaborative, particularly with SINTEFs group for biotechnology and the foundation NOBIPOL, that focusses on biopolymer research. At the moment (June 2009) the following areas are the most active:
1. Systems Biology. I am a coordinator of a European project in this field, and it is alginate synthesis in the bacterium Pseudomonas fluorescens that is used as a model system.
2. Recombinant protein expression. We study both high level expression for production of proteines and tightly regulated expression at physiological levels for use in metabolic engineering and Systems Biology.
3. Biorpospecting. We have developed tools for expression of genes in DNA that have been collected in natural environments withouht cultivation (which is in most cases not possible) of the respective organisms. The idea is that one via this methods is able to study a much greater fraction of the total gene mass in nature, and thereby more easily can find genes of scientific or applied interest.
Teaching is in the field of Molecular Genetics (see TBT4145) at all levels from basic to PhD level courses.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) A New and Improved Host-Independent Plasmid System for RK2-Based Conjugal Transfer. PLoS ONE. volum 9 (3).
- (2014) Safety in numbers: multiple occurrences of highly similar homologs among Azotobacter vinelandii carbohydrate metabolism proteins probably confer adaptive benefits. BMC Genomics. volum 15 (192).
- (2013) A comparative analysis of the properties of regulated promoter systems commonly used for recombinant gene expression in Escherichia coli. Microbial Cell Factories. volum 12 (26).
- (2013) Combinatorial Mutagenesis and Selection to Understand and Improve Yeast Promoters. Biomedical research. volum 2013:926985.
- (2013) Mapping global effects of the anti-sigma factor MucA in Pseudomonas fluorescens SBW25 through genome-scale metabolic modeling. BMC Systems Biology. volum 7 (19).
- (2013) Meeting Report: 1st International Functional Metagenomics Workshop May 7-8, 2012, St. Jacobs, Ontario, Canada. Standards in Genomic Sciences. volum 8 (1).
- (2013) Combinatorial Mutagenesis and Selection of Improved Signal Sequences and Their Application for High-Level Production of Translocated Heterologous Proteins in Escherichia coli. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. volum 79 (2).
- (2013) Non-Invasive Analysis of Recombinant mRNA Stability in Escherichia coli by a Combination of Transcriptional Inducer Wash-Out and qRT-PCR. PLoS ONE. volum 8 (6).
- (2013) Design and optimization of short DNA sequences that can be used as 5' fusion partners for high-level expression of heterologous genes in Escherichia coli. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. volum 79 (21).
- (2013) The microbial communities in two apparently physically separated deep subsurface oil reservoirs show extensive DNA sequence similarities. Environmental Microbiology. volum 16 (2).
- (2013) Metagenomics of microbial life in extreme temperature environments. Current Opinion in Biotechnology. volum 24 (3).
- (2013) Investigating alginate production and carbon utilization in Pseudomonas fluorescens SBW25 using mass spectrometry-based metabolic profiling. Metabolomics. volum 9 (2).
- (2013) Mannuronan C-5 Epimerases Suited for Tailoring of Specific Alginate Structures Obtained by High-Throughput Screening of an Epimerase Mutant Library. Biomacromolecules. volum 14 (8).
- (2013) Deep sub-surface oil reservoirs as poly-extreme habitats for microbial life. A current review. Cellular Origin, Life in Extreme Habitats and Astrobiology. volum 27.
- (2013) Combinatorial engineering for heterologous gene expression. Bioengineered Bugs. volum 4 (6).
- (2013) Regulation of the expression level of transcription factor XylS reveals new functional insight into its induction mechanism at the Pm promoter. BMC Microbiology. volum 13.
- (2012) Exploring the 5 '-UTR DNA region as a target for optimizing recombinant gene expression from the strong and inducible Pm promoter in Escherichia coli. Journal of Biotechnology. volum 158 (4).
- (2012) Rapid reagentless quantification of alginate biosynthesis in Pseudomonas fluorescens bacteria mutants using FT-IR spectroscopy coupled to multivariate partial least squares regression. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. volum 403 (9).
- (2012) The effect of the Gcd, zwf-1 and zwf-2 genes on alginate biosynthesis and growth of Pseudomonas fluorescens. The FEBS Journal. volum 279 (Supp. 1).
- (2012) Ralstonia sp U2 naphthalene dioxygenase and Comamonas sp JS765 nitrobenzene dioxygenase show differences in activity towards methylated naphthalenes. Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering. volum 113 (2).