Background and activities
Areas of speciality/fields of responsibilityMy background is in the field of molecular genetics of microorganisms (prokaryotes) and I have several different reserach projects in this field. Much of the research is collaborative, particularly with SINTEFs group for biotechnology and the foundation NOBIPOL, that focusses on biopolymer research. At the moment (June 2009) the following areas are the most active:
1. Systems Biology. I am a coordinator of a European project in this field, and it is alginate synthesis in the bacterium Pseudomonas fluorescens that is used as a model system.
2. Recombinant protein expression. We study both high level expression for production of proteines and tightly regulated expression at physiological levels for use in metabolic engineering and Systems Biology.
3. Biorpospecting. We have developed tools for expression of genes in DNA that have been collected in natural environments withouht cultivation (which is in most cases not possible) of the respective organisms. The idea is that one via this methods is able to study a much greater fraction of the total gene mass in nature, and thereby more easily can find genes of scientific or applied interest.
Teaching is in the field of Molecular Genetics (see TBT4145) at all levels from basic to PhD level courses.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Identification of genes affecting alginate biosynthesis in Pseudomonas fluorescens by screening a transposon insertion library. BMC Genomics. vol. 18 (1).
- (2016) Alginate Biosynthesis Factories in Pseudomonas fluorescens : Localization and Correlation with Alginate Production Level. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. vol. 82 (4).
- (2016) New insights into Pseudomonas fluorescens alginate biosynthesis relevant for the establishment of an efficient production process for microbial alginates. New Biotechnology.
- (2015) Benzoic Acid-Inducible Gene Expression in Mycobacteria. PLoS ONE. vol. 10 (9).
- (2015) Mutational analyses of glucose dehydrogenase and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase genes in Pseudomonas fluorescens reveal their effects on growth and alginate production. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. vol. 81 (10).
- (2014) A new and improved host-independent plasmid system for RK2-based conjugal transfer. PLoS ONE. vol. 9 (3:e90372).
- (2014) Structural and functional characterization of the R-modules in alginate C-5 epimerases AlgE4 and AlgE6 from Azotobacter vinelandii. Journal of Biological Chemistry. vol. 289 (45).
- (2014) The microbial communities in two apparently physically separated deep subsurface oil reservoirs show extensive DNA sequence similarities. Environmental Microbiology. vol. 16 (2).
- (2014) Safety in numbers: multiple occurrences of highly similar homologs among Azotobacter vinelandii carbohydrate metabolism proteins probably confer adaptive benefits. BMC Genomics. vol. 15 (192).
- (2013) A comparative analysis of the properties of regulated promoter systems commonly used for recombinant gene expression in Escherichia coli. Microbial Cell Factories. vol. 12 (26).
- (2013) Combinatorial Mutagenesis and Selection to Understand and Improve Yeast Promoters. Biomedical research. vol. 2013:926985.
- (2013) Mapping global effects of the anti-sigma factor MucA in Pseudomonas fluorescens SBW25 through genome-scale metabolic modeling. BMC Systems Biology. vol. 7 (19).
- (2013) Meeting Report: 1st International Functional Metagenomics Workshop May 7-8, 2012, St. Jacobs, Ontario, Canada. Standards in Genomic Sciences. vol. 8 (1).
- (2013) Combinatorial Mutagenesis and Selection of Improved Signal Sequences and Their Application for High-Level Production of Translocated Heterologous Proteins in Escherichia coli. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. vol. 79 (2).
- (2013) Non-Invasive Analysis of Recombinant mRNA Stability in Escherichia coli by a Combination of Transcriptional Inducer Wash-Out and qRT-PCR. PLoS ONE. vol. 8 (6).
- (2013) Design and optimization of short DNA sequences that can be used as 5' fusion partners for high-level expression of heterologous genes in Escherichia coli. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. vol. 79 (21).
- (2013) Metagenomics of microbial life in extreme temperature environments. Current Opinion in Biotechnology. vol. 24 (3).
- (2013) Investigating alginate production and carbon utilization in Pseudomonas fluorescens SBW25 using mass spectrometry-based metabolic profiling. Metabolomics. vol. 9 (2).
- (2013) Mannuronan C-5 Epimerases Suited for Tailoring of Specific Alginate Structures Obtained by High-Throughput Screening of an Epimerase Mutant Library. Biomacromolecules. vol. 14 (8).
- (2013) Deep sub-surface oil reservoirs as poly-extreme habitats for microbial life. A current review. Cellular Origin, Life in Extreme Habitats and Astrobiology. vol. 27.