Background and activities
The strategy of my research group is to study the functions of the complement system, inflammasomes and Toll-like receptors in relation to signaling induced by microbes and cholesterol crystals. Our research points to new targets and strategies for treatment of inflammatory diseases. I am the director of Centre of Molecular Inflammation Research (CEMIR) which is a Centre of Excellence (https://www.ntnu.edu/cemir).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) TLR8 senses Staphylococcus aureus RNA in human primary monocytes and macrophages and induces IFN-β production via a TAK1-IKKβ-IRF5 signaling pathway. Journal of Immunology. vol. 195 (3).
- (2015) The anti-inflammatory effect of combined complement and CD14 inhibition is preserved during escalating bacterial load. Clinical and Experimental Immunology. vol. 181 (3).
- (2015) The complement system and toll-like receptors as integrated players in the pathophysiology of atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis. vol. 241 (2).
- (2015) CD14, TLR4 and TRAM Show Different Trafficking Dynamics During LPS Stimulation. Traffic : the International Journal of Intracellular Transport. vol. 16 (7).
- (2015) CD14 and complement crosstalk and largely mediate the transcriptional response to Escherichia coli in human whole blood as revealed by DNA microarray. PLoS ONE. vol. 10 (2).
- (2015) Gene expression profiling of Gram-negative bacteria-induced inflammation in human whole blood: The role of complement and CD14-mediated innate immune response. Genomics Data. vol. 5.
- (2015) A role for the adaptor proteins TRAM and TRIF in toll-like receptor 2 signaling. Journal of Biological Chemistry. vol. 290 (6).
- (2015) Reconstituted high-density lipoprotein attenuates cholesterol crystal-induced inflammatory responses by reducing complement activation. Journal of Immunology. vol. 195 (1).
- (2015) The proportion of CD16(+)CD14(dim) monocytes increases with tumor cell load in bone marrow of patients with multiple myeloma. Immunity,Inflammation and Disease.
- (2015) The proportion of CD16+CD14dim monocytes increases with tumor cell load in bone marrow of patients with multiple myeloma. Immunity,Inflammation and Disease. vol. 3 (2).
- (2014) Heparin-Like Properties of Sulfated Alginates with Defined Sequences and Sulfation Degrees. Biomacromolecules. vol. 15 (7).
- (2014) The adaptor ASC has extracellular and 'prionoid' activities that propagate inflammation. Nature Immunology. vol. 15 (8).
- (2014) Double blockade of CD14 and complement C5 abolishes the cytokine storm and improves morbidity and survival in polymicrobial sepsis in mice. Journal of Immunology. vol. 192 (11).
- (2014) A vital role for complement in heart disease. Molecular Immunology. vol. 61 (2).
- (2014) Alterations in mucus barrier function and matrix structure induced by guluronate oligomers. Biomacromolecules. vol. 15 (6).
- (2014) Cholesterol crystal-induced endothelial cell activation is complement-dependent and mediated by TNF. Immunobiology. vol. 219 (10).
- (2014) Cholesterol crystals induce complement-dependent inflammasome activation and cytokine release. Journal of Immunology. vol. 192 (6).
- (2014) Combined inhibition of complement and CD14 efficiently attenuated the inflammatory response induced by staphylococcus aureus in a human whole blood model. Journal of Immunology. vol. 192 (6).
- (2014) Mucosal toll-like receptor 3-dependent synthesis of complement factor B and systemic complement activation in inflammatory bowel disease. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. vol. 20 (6).
- (2013) Whole Genome Gene Expression Meta-Analysis of Inflammatory Bowel Disease Colon Mucosa Demonstrates Lack of Major Differences between Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis. PLoS ONE. vol. 8 (2).