Background and activities
Terje Midtbø has been working with education and research within Geographical Information Science and Cartography. In his work he has interests within data structures for terrain modelling, methods for distribution of geographic information on the Internet and handling of geographic phenomena which includes a temporal component.
The last years he has, for one thing, studied map animations and how these can improve the communication of map information. Web and mobile phone based expeiments ave hen developed for this research.
He is leader of the education and research group at the Norwegian Association for Geomatics and Geographic Information Science (GeoForum).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Indoor Maps for Orienteering Sport Events. Scientific Journal of Orienteering. vol. 19 (1).
- (2011) A New Concept of Multi-Scenario, Multi-Component Animated Maps for the Visualization of Spatio-Temporal Landscape Evolution. Miscellanea Geographica. vol. 15.
- (2007) Effects of Animations in Zooming and Panning Operations on Web maps: A Web-based Experiment. Cartographic Journal. vol. 44 (4).
- (2007) Anvendelse av metoder for datareduksjon på topografiske LIDAR data. Kart og Plan. vol. 100 (3).
- (2000) Multifakultært studieprogram i geomatikk ved NTNU. Kart og Plan. vol. 60 (2).
- (1998) Geomatikk ved NTNU. Kart og Plan. vol. 58/91 (1).
- (1997) GIS på Internet - GIS for folk flest. Kart og Plan. vol. 57 (2).
Part of book/report
- (2016) Map Related Experiments Using Oculus Rift: Can low cost VR technology provide sufficient realism?. Advancing Geographic Information Science:The Past and Next Twenty Years.
- (2016) Emerging Societal Challenges Likely to Affect Geographic Information Science in the Next Twenty Years. Advancing Geographic Information Science:The Past and Next Twenty Years.
- (2015) Cartographic Experiments by the Use of Oculus Rift. Proceedings at the 27th International Cartographic Conference and 16th General Assembly: Maps Connecting the World.
- (2015) Investigation of Map Orientation by the Use of Low-Cost Virtual Reality Equipment. Cartography - Maps Connecting the World, 27th International Cartographic Conference 2015 - ICC2015.
- (2013) Orienteering moves indoor. Proceedings of the 26th International Cartographic Conference.
- (2011) Map animations for visualizing orienteering competitions. Proceedings of the 25th International Cartographic Conference.
- (2009) En digital verden - geografisk informasjon satt i system. Det Kongelige Norske Vitenskabers Selskab Årbok 2008.
- (2007) Advanced Legends for Interactive Dynamic Maps. Proceedings of XXIII International Cartographic Conference.
- (2007) Human Interaction with Animated Maps: The portrayal of the passage of time. Proceedings of the 11th Scandinavian Research Conference on Geographical Information Science.
- (2007) Application of Data Reduction Methods in Dynamic TIN Models to Topographic LIDAR Data. Proceedings of the 11th Scandinavian Research Conference on Geographical Information Science.
- (2005) Interactive Cartographic Animations - Analysis Functionality in a Web Environment. Mapping approaches into a changing world.
- (2005) Map animations versus static maps - when is one of them better. Join ICA Commision Seminar, Internet based cartographic teaching and Learning: Atlases, Map Use and Visual Analytics.
- (1997) Efficient handling of large spatial data sets by generalised Delauney networks. Geographic information research : bridging the Atlantic.