Short biography Max 160 characters [0/160]
- Other history
- Modern history (after 1800)
- Contemporary history (after 1945)
- History of Universities
- Cultural History
- History of knowledge
Thomas Brandt (b. 1971) is associate professor of History in the Department for History and Classical Studies at the Norwegian University for Science and Technology. He received his doctoral degree from NTNU in 2006, where his dissertation examined the cultural production, mediation and consumption of the Italian 'Vespa' scooter in the 1950s and 1960s.
Brandt was project co-ordinator of the interdisciplinary research project 'The Factory' ('Fabrikken'), resulting in a series of working papers and the homonymous book of which he was co-editor, translator and contributor. In 2004 the bookFabrikken was awarded the annual best non-fiction book prize by the Norwegian newspaper Klassekampen.
Brandt has published several works in Norwegian, ranging from military industrial history to media history and urban waterfront development history. He has also published internationally, with works on design history, Italian business history and university history. His most recent book is the history of his own alma mater NTNU, covering 250 years of science and higher education, written in collaboration with historian Ola Nordal. Currently,
Brandt is teaching courses in digital history, history of technology and cultural heritage studies. Apart from teaching and research, Brandt has also experience with creating innovative museum exhibitions through an engagement as researcher at the NTNU Faros Knowledge Park. He was part of the team behind the exhibition Klima X at the Norwegian Museum of Science and Technology in Oslo that received the Roy L. Shafer Leading Edge Award in 2009.
As of 2013, Brandt is exhibit review editor for the journal Technology and Culture.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts.
- (2012) Nina Witoszek: The Origin of the Regime of Goodness Remapping the Cultural History of Norway. Historisk Tidsskrift.
- (2010) NTNU 100 år Hjernekraftverket. Gemini.
- (2010) NTNU at 100: The future factory. Gemini (English edition).
- (2008) Book Review of Anja Kervanto Nevanlinna (ed.): Industry and Modernism: Companies, Architecture, and Identity in the Nordic and Baltic Countries during the High-Industrial Period. Technology and culture. volum 49 (4).
- (2007) Hitler kastet av bussen. Adresseavisen.
- (2006) La Vespa negli Stati Uniti: il trasporto culturale di una merce italiana. Memoria e Ricerca: Rivista di storia contemporanea.
- (2002) "Centaur, Venus or Centauress - Gendering the Vespa scooter in Italy in the 1940s-1960s.". Skriftserie fra prosjektet Fabrikken.
- (2010) Turbulens og tankekraft. Historien om NTNU. Pax Forlag. 2010. ISBN 9788253033488.
- (2009) Trondheim Verft AS. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2009. ISBN 978-82-519-2428-3.
- (2004) Fabrikken. Spartacus. 2004. ISBN 823040004-0.
- (2001) Maskinkultur, utsnitt fra fabrikkens tidsalder; Fabrikken #3. 2001.
- (2001) Maskinkultur. Utsnitt fra fabrikkens tidsalder. 2001.
Part of book/report
- (2013) A Vehicle for 'Good Italians': User Design and the Vespa Clubs in Italy. Made in Italy: Rethinking a Century of Italian Design.
- (2012) Collecting scientific instruments: why, how and for whom?. Arranging and rearranging. Planning university heritage for the future.
- (2009) Skjult havn åpnes. Trondheim Verft AS.
- (2004) Den amerikanske fabrikken og moderne europeisk arkitektur. Fabrikken.
- (2004) Inn i den svarte boksen. Fabrikken.
- (2004) Kvinnene ved porten: Det kjønnsdelte fabrikkarbeidets historie. Fabrikken.
- (2004) Unisone forskjeller - historien om et forsvarsteknologisk nettverkssamarabeid. Bedrifter i nettverk.
- (2004) Vespa: Fabrikkprodukt som ikon. Fabrikken.